New GM

Official News and Announcements

Re: New GM

Postby Arakis » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:17 pm

None, really. I never got into Magic, though there was a time when I dabbled briefly with the Legend of the Five Rings card game. But other than that, all I've ever even tried was Ani-Mayhem. That game made so little sense... Maybe that's what turned me off to CCGs for the longest time. Alteil started off as just a translation gig. Many months ago when I translated cards from the first set, I knew very little about the game itself. It sank its teeth into me soon after I tried playing, though.
Arakis

Postby kitsunekit » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:35 am

*nods* Ani-Mayham was kinda poorly developed. "I have Goku, Trunks and Frieza", "Yeah well I have Bulma and she has chopped lumber, so I win the game". Ugh.

Legend of the Five Rings? You sir, are a man after my own heart. One of the best damned TCG franchises out there ever was... <3 Fox Clan Forever! We shall not bow to the mantis!

But L5R and AniMayham are two of the more complicated games out there. Games like Alteil and Magic are like Checkers, in which L5R is Chess.

Animayham is like "Rat Trap", except your missing one of the most important plastic pieces so the game doesn't work right.
kitsunekit

Postby edgarfigaro » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:30 am

:shock: Magic is definitely not like checkers. You can play it like checkers (as in a simple fashion) but you'd be playing it wrong. Ever hear the Front-a-lot song Hassle the Dorkening? I think it sums it up nicely.
"what on earth did you just say? did someone nerf your keyboard?" ~Spears
I feel that way all the time Spears, all the time.
edgarfigaro

Postby DanTheTimid » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:28 am

<rant>
Whats with all the ripping on Ani-Mayhem, yeah it wasn't perfect but it did 3 key things I'll always respect it for. For one it lasted through 3 sets and what, like 9 different anime liscences (the first 2 sets were like 4 licensees each, third set was dragon ball z specific) in a time when anime was still EXTREMELY niche. Most people either didn't know what anime was back then or the only one they could name was speed racer. Two, its one of the few collectible card games that was actually set up to allow you to play a decent game of solitaire with it. I spent many hours coming up with crazy campaigns to try to test myself getting through. I assume this was done because they KNEW that anime was so niche back then that alot of players wouldn't have any other friends that knew what anime was. And three, it was one of the few games out there that actually encouraged co-op play. There was always a winner, but if the players didn't work together and had set up strong enemies the winner could very well be the game itself leaving all the players losers. Thus players often had to form tentative alliances. As such it was not uncommon that when one player won, if the game had been particularly nasty that time, all the players came away still feeling like winners for having beaten the game. In almost any other card game I've played if you lose you tend to feel like a loser which is one of the innate problems with card games since for some one to win some one always has to lose, ani-mayhem handled this problem better then most games.

So yeah, did it make sense from an anime perspective, no, was it a balanced game, heck no, could 5 player games take up an entire living room floor, you know it, but was it very unique and brought me and my other friends from my youth plenty of hours of fun, yes, yes it did.

</rant>
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby kitsunekit » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:01 pm

That's cool. I played it too. And many card games MUCH worse (Card Captors, Sim City, Mortal Kombat, Redemption, even worse...).

...It was made by the person who owned the licenses in question...

But in all seriousness, the game had some serious flaws. First of all, charm combat was such that cross-gender battles almost never occurred. This in turn made decks with all female characters with high amounts of attributes strong enough to fish through any location for items. If you didn't want to do it yourself, you could wait for your opponent to go through all 3 location disasters and snipe them last minute after they are tired from fighting. If they try to attack you and you have a handsome male and handsome female available, you can simply force them to run off.

The fact the rulebook to the game was rewritten EVERY SET proves it was flawed.

The games errata was like 4 times longer than the rule book.

And the third set was so strong, there was no reason to use the characters from other 2 sets. And not just for combat. Bulma alone made all other technology themed units useless with her enormous charm, crazy number of attributes and unbelievable ability (free searching for objects). Farmer with a Shotgun was so good the game usually ended up being "who still has their farmer with a shotgun"?

But you are right that Ani-Mayham was the first multi-franchise TCG I know of. Lasting through 3 sets isn't much though--even American Idol has that many sets I think (I could be wrong). That just means they didn't know when to quit. Also, L5R encouraged co-op play in multiplayer with cards that helped (and sometimes hindered) "alliances".
kitsunekit

Previous

Return to Castle Folrart