The State of Alteil - a Word from the GMs

Official News and Announcements

The State of Alteil - a Word from the GMs

Postby Logress » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:52 pm

Many have wondered, what are we up to? What are we doing? Well, plenty to keep us busy. Here are some updates.

-New Frontpage-
Well, it's already done. It'll let a new player figure what we're all about at a glance, and be more useful for everyone in general.

-Walkthrough-style tutorial-
This is a long term solution to troubles some people have had learning the game. Doing this and doing this right will take a while. It probably won't be ready until next year. Until then...

-Training system-
We have asked some of our regulars to help us train new players individually. Consider this a beta training system. It was invitation only, and mostly involved us sitting around and throwing out names of Iczers we had talked with a bunch of times, so don't feel bad if you were left out, it was probably just bad luck. If the system does well, we will expand it.

-Physical mailing-
This is to drive new people to the site, and into the arms of our trainers.
Alteil postcards went out in the mail today, and will be sent continuously for the next 3 weeks. So, figure that they'll get into people's hands as early as this Friday.
Hopefully that will translate into some new blood.

-We are also working on a variety of other things to make it possible to earn more cards and that kind of thing, so don't worry, we haven't forgotten about the needs of our established players, either.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Re: The State of Alteil - a Word from the GMs

Postby Candi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:20 pm

logress wrote:-Physical mailing-
This is to drive new people to the site, and into the arms of our trainers.
Alteil postcards went out in the mail today, and will be sent continuously for the next 3 weeks. So, figure that they'll get into people's hands as early as this Friday.
Hopefully that will translate into some new blood.

Ahem, Pics plz?

I bet they're all nice and shiny~!
Candi

Postby Gota » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:27 pm

wow O_o

I think post cards advertising are expensive right?? And continuously for 3 weeks, jebus.

And just where did you guys send it out to? Since this version of Alteil is world wide.
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby Logress » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:35 pm

The reason we're doing mailings and not more web ads (well, we do have web ads up, but mostly on smaller sites right now) is because web ads are expensive and require instant cash. For the mailings we're leveraging our contacts through our parent company to get a good deal because it's piggybacking on other deals.
And I believe Elena is the post card art.

And now that I've brought it up, can you guys think of any smaller sites that would be good for our ads? I've had great luck with fantasy and gamer web comics, (argh, why does OOTS not have ads?), other rpg browser game sites and anything having to do with yugi-oh.

Oh, one last thing I forgot on the official post. We also did send a big survey form to everyone who quit to get some more feedback for changes (that kind of thing takes a surprising amount of time to set up... just ask Lupos). Not that we don't love the feedback on the forums, but it helps us get a more complete picture. For example, did you know that 11% of all people who quit Alteil never actually tried dueling at all (not even in the training arena)? Somehow, I don't think I'm going to win the hearts of those guys. This survey will really help us quantify things when we we're ready to implement a change or two.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby slashzero » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:25 pm

8-Bit Theater (http://www.nuklearpower.com/) is one such webcomic that I think ads would do pretty well on.
slashzero

Postby kitsunekit » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:57 pm

Pojos site for TCGs. I hate the site personally, but it has card gamers...

Also check out smaller webcomics with low ad prices (seriously, if you are fast enough you can get 5-50 cent a month ads on comics with hundreds to thousands of readers). Sluggy, Penny Arcade (that one is probably expensive), Antibunny, Shortpacked, PHD comics, VG cats, comic curmudgeon...

I'm a part of an online rpg site (www.amalgamrpg.com) who are always looking for sponsers/affiliate sites/forums.
kitsunekit

Postby Phenoca » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:55 pm

The training partner works great.

However, the tutorial was too boring; perhaps you could add nice background-music?
flood + Pakistan = hunger
Phenoca

Return to Castle Folrart