How often do new sets come out?

Official News and Announcements

How often do new sets come out?

Postby vickz » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:56 pm

Hey,

I started after Revival was out. How often do new sets come in? Curious to know.

Best,
Vickz
vickz

Re: How often do new sets come out?

Postby Romdeau » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:04 pm

Depends on what they feel like is right for the game. The first set was rushed because word on the street was that the meta was too stagnant and LOW AND BEHOLD look at the situation we're in right now. Same thing-this is why I think another set would not fix the current stagnant meta problem.

As much as I complain about the EX packs, they did do what they're supposed to do-reduce the presence of Lebeau in SC line ups. If another EX pack fixes the same thing for Assassin, I'll grumble about it but I'll accept it.
Romdeau

Postby vickz » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:07 pm

I would think the difficulty in acquiring cards is the issue for stagnation. I understand the need to make money, and I've spent my share I assure you =). But honestly, couldn't there be a simpler/cheaper way to get 1-3* rarity cards, that would improve gameplay and allow for variety. Which, knowing people, will spawn copycats, which would boost sales right? Just from my experience with MTG, having the ability to buy specific cards, made me spend MORE money.

Vickz
vickz

Postby Grain » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:13 pm

You don't mean specific rares, do you?

The ability to select 3, 4 and 5 star cards would make their rareness meaningless.
Grain

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:02 pm

Grain wrote:You don't mean specific rares, do you?

The ability to select 3, 4 and 5 star cards would make their rareness meaningless.

Only if they all cost the same, obviously they'd have to be priced based on their rarity, like for example:

1 star - 30 gran
2 star - 80 gran
3 star - 250 gran
4 star - 900 gran
5 star - 1,300 gran

Just throwing numbers out their, those aren't necessarily perfect but you get the idea, collecting a playset of a single 4 star would still cost you almost 30 bucks, a 5 star almost 40 bucks, as oposed to using say 42 bucks to get 2 boxes and getting two 5 stars probably three 4 stars, and a heck of alot of 3 stars, 2 stars, and 1 stars which could all be recycled if you don't want them... but you also might not get what you want, buying singles you get exactly want you need to finish a card file or a collection.

Anyway back on topic, as stated above the alteil team decides when they feel its time to release a new set, theres currently no set time line. We got our second set sooner then the Japanese alteil got its second set and we got our first ex pack much MUCH sooner then they got their first ex pack. Both succeeded in fixing some issues and stimulating the game... if only temporarily.

Personally I'm for having sets released faster then slower as I prefer variety, to me releasing sets too quickly is only a problem if the sets are not balanced (and I'd like to believe alteils will be), as long as set 1 and 2 cards can compete with set 3 cards even if I can't afford to buy any set 3 boxes right now I'll at least get to see fresh cards and strategies from my opponents and I'll have more time to really decide if I want to invest in said set once I do get some money.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Memnon » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:24 pm

I agree, being able to buy singles usually does make me spend more money. Maybe if the amount of gran needed ramped up significantly it would keep the rares from being too common, heh. Hard to say. But you know what I'd settle for? Just allow me to buy singles of 1 and 2 star cards. There are some good, common cards out there I'd really like to have.

On a semi-related topic: Will we get the chance to buy the angels again? I missed out on the Gowen angel and I can tell you I'd sink money right now for another chance.
Memnon

Postby Grain » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:00 pm

Memnon wrote:On a semi-related topic: Will we get the chance to buy the angels again? I missed out on the Gowen angel and I can tell you I'd sink money right now for another chance.

Japan currently has an EX card lottery.
Grain

Postby Candi » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:11 pm

Grain wrote:
Memnon wrote:On a semi-related topic: Will we get the chance to buy the angels again? I missed out on the Gowen angel and I can tell you I'd sink money right now for another chance.

And we will get one, once we have had another EX pack or two.
Candi

Postby Memnon » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:25 pm

Candi wrote:
Grain wrote:

And we will get one, once we have had another EX pack or two.

Good to hear. ;th2
Memnon

Postby Grain » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:44 pm

Well, the game went live... July 27? The first expansion was released September.

The GMs have said that the expansion was released earlier than expected.
Grain

Return to Castle Folrart