Dr. Strange hate or, How I learned to stop worrying and...

Official News and Announcements

Dr. Strange hate or, How I learned to stop worrying and...

Postby lupos » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:35 pm

Right, so Verizon is not only not going to have things ready by tomorrow, but they aren't even giving us the connection they said they were. Can you imagine working for a company that large selling products like they do and not knowing the difference between a bit and a byte? It's amazing. All buck passing aside, this means further delays. We have decided than Verizon can go do something to themselves that will most likely not be kosher under our eula so you can just fill in that blank. As such we are moving all of our servers into a nearby DataCenter ASAP.

" But what does this mean to me?!" you say? Well, that means that ideally we have our end of this transition done by the end of the week. The guys at Core Edge in Japan then need a few days to reconfigure the servers to be happy in their new homes with their newest friend. In other words: "We really really really really really want to have the Beta prepped before we leave for Anime Expo next week". We leave Wednesday July 2nd. So, ideally everything will be done and in place by then so that the guys in JP can just flip the switch Friday morning.

Not swearing to any of that yet though, we should have hard info tomorrow from our consultants who will handle the move. I'll update then. In happier news GaoGaiGirl has some of the Avatars done that will be the prizes for our testers. I've told her she should post some of the art so you can see. If they don't go up, you know who to yell at. ;)

Besides that, things continue apace. Little things on the site are slowly getting fixed. Those lovely topic header tabs GGG made now have text, go me. Our part time helper Clara has been straightening up some of the articles as well. Also we look all set to have both credit cards and paypal set up for your shopping needs. I'm still plugging away at making a unified login/register system, and I have to say that's the only reason I'm at all glad for the beta delay. Gives me a tiny bit of breathing room.

That's about all I can think of for now. As usual any questions, just go to the forum and we shall do our best to answer them in a timely and orderly and ideally humorous fashion.
lupos
Site Admin

Re: Dr. Strange hate or, How I learned to stop worrying and...

Postby Kyoshi » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:47 pm

Thanks for the update lupos and I've had that problem with service providers before... It is strange how many big companies DON'T know the difference between a bit and a byte. And a gigabyte and a megabyte.(I was told megabytes are the biggest by a Tech at one of those companies...) Anyways good luck to the move and good luck with the Expo.

Fun fun to hear that the prize avatars are up and can't wait to see them.

Hope everything goes the way it is planned then!
alpha428
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
Kyoshi

Postby DanTheTimid » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:36 pm

So if I understand correctly, the current estimated time for the beta to go live is now the 4th of July (Friday of next week)? Kind of an interesting start date. Or am I mis-reading?

Also... Verizon has made a powerful enemy on this day. The things they have done I shall not forget. They shall pay for their misdeeds... oh yes they shall pay... mwahahaha!

And by that I mean I shall never be using them in the future, not that I was necessarily planning to anyways but definitely not now.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Tocanis » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:36 pm

Just wanted to make sure I understood the time frame here. The Beta start has tentatively been pushed back one week, correct? I was a bit confused on that part.

Thanks for all your hard work!

;a39
Tocanis

Postby Kyoshi » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:50 pm

From looking at the dates of the Anime Expo which is scheduled for next week then I would guess that it would be scheduled for next Friday and hey another celebration for us! Fourth of July and Alteil Beta Release day!
alpha428
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
Kyoshi

Postby Raeith » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:14 pm

Well well, this is gonna push the date right up to the start of my school holidays =D. Thanks for the update! Keep up the great work, but as for Verizon... *shakes fist a Verizon*.
Protect our forests!
Don't kick, punch, bite or hurt the trees!
Raeith

Postby lupos » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:27 pm

Thanks for the continued support. You're a resilient bunch and we really appreciate it. The idea is to get it on for next Friday the 4th. Originally we had hoped to end the beta on the 7th and the launch the game officially on the 9th. We will most likely push both of those back a week so we have proper time to run the Beta before we go live. Once we decide for sure we'll let ya know. Should settle on hard dates tomorrow. Though we all know how non-hard the dates we've set in the past have been... cross your fingers. ;)
lupos
Site Admin

Postby Kyoshi » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:34 am

lupos wrote:Thanks for the continued support. You're a resilient bunch and we really appreciate it. The idea is to get it on for next Friday the 4th. Originally we had hoped to end the beta on the 7th and the launch the game officially on the 9th. We will most likely push both of those back a week so we have proper time to run the Beta before we go live. Once we decide for sure we'll let ya know. Should settle on hard dates tomorrow. Though we all know how non-hard the dates we've set in the past have been... cross your fingers. ;)

I think you guys are just trying to get us to celebrate two things on the fourth. But hey the plus side is most work places give that day as a holiday so that means a big stress test. Looking forward to the beta release and we are resilient like you said so we can bear with changes.

On an off-topic side not @ lupos:
I tried to marry them but wasn't allowed to... something about they are inanimate objects or something?
alpha428
Kyoshi

Postby hickwarrior » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:15 am

Oh no... Oh well, see if i can enjoy this game when it;s released to the public... But that just squishes my hope, as i will not have cards that can beat my opponents... Blegh, i really have to see that, but this is going to start looking like that yu-gi-oh online thing. Only thing you could do is pay, to actually be able to duel opponents.

I still have to see, but i'm getting worried about this fact here...

This one was made when a game I wanted try out came out. And the only good image was that girl. Go figure >>
hickwarrior

Dr. Strange is from Falkow (studied in Crest)

Postby Akjeil » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:41 am

hickwarrior wrote:Oh no... Oh well, see if i can enjoy this game when it;s released to the public... But that just squishes my hope, as i will not have cards that can beat my opponents...
... Only thing you could do is pay, to actually be able to duel opponents.

I still have to see, but i'm getting worried about this fact here...

You'll need cards only to play, and skill (and/or luck) to win, but to beat your opponents you only need a big stick :twisted:
On a less humorous note, I hear tell that the free starter sets can contain some great card combinations, so no need to worry too much...it was mentioned in some of the threads; I'd include the links but haven't found them yet (distracted by reading new posts).
-Unfocused Akjeil :?

EDIT: Not the thread which originally came to mine, but this one has some revealing points, e.g.:
DanTheTimid wrote:Still if thats the case my only remaining concerns are that I have horrible luck with opening packs
And,
DWildstar wrote:It's true that people who spend money will be able to have a larger quantity of cards, but the recycle system allows everyone (to a point) to get a larger variety of cards. It's also not necessary to get every single card in the set to make a good deck. One of the Japanese GMs as a policy has not spent a single yen since creating his account in order to demonstrate that it is indeed possible to play Alteil completely free...

The discussion can be viewed in its entirety here:
http://www.alteil.com/forum/index.php?f ... =viewtopic

-Akjeil, Shepherd of Lost Posts :geek:
"A rabbit made from candy > candy made from a rabbit."
-Important Things With Demetri Martin, "Games: Greater than/ Equal to"
Akjeil

Return to Castle Folrart