Beginner's Packs Return Friday

Official News and Announcements

Beginner's Packs Return Friday

Postby Logress » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:32 pm

Beginner's Packs Return Friday edit
Written by Logress
Wednesday, 10 March 2010 17:08

Beginner's Packs are back! From Friday, March 12th until Friday April 16th Beginner's Packs will be available in the Card Shop.

Beginner's packs are 45 card packs chosen from a narrow list of cards that are guaranteed to deliver playsets! That means you pick up one of these and you'll immediately have a whole bunch of new cards to add to your File and your Soul Skills! The best part is they're only 500 Gran (about $5).
The idea is that veterans know what and how to buy cards, they've been around, they've read the forums, they known when the Rarity Up events happen, they now how many cards they have to have before the Lottery is less useful. But a first time buyer might be lost with all the options, so they need a cheap, effective buying option to improve their collections fast. That is what the Beginner's Pack is for.

Under no circumstances will the pack deliver more than 3 of one card, and no more than 4 Grimoires total. This semi-random selection will give you 2-3 copies of most of the units on this list, and maybe 3-4 of those Grimoires (probably no duplicates, though). You'll be able to put many of these cards into your modified Starter right away. The off-Sphere cards you may get will provide many excellent soul skills, and provide a solid start on building a second File. There also a few lower level cards of each Sphere that are splashable. Once you've completed your first purchase, you can move on to the Lottery or Set Packs. You could also purchase a second Beginner's Pack to fill in your third copy of any cards you didn't get three of, but you'll probably end up Recycling a lot of the cards. After two, it's unlikely you'll find much value in a Beginner's Pack, so it'll definitely be time to try out some of the other areas of the Card Shop. But then again, it's called a 'Beginner's Pack' for a reason, invaluable to Beginners, not so useful to our veterans.

Beginner's Pack Card List:

Elite Folrart Acolyte
Blessed Armor Knight
Pegasus
Folrart Guardian
Novice Folrart Acolyte
Priest of the Holy Word
Over Soul
Magic Bolt

Succubus
Skeleton Warrior
Lycanthrope [Legion]
Living Armor
Night Soul
Crest Halberd Soldier
Flesh Recycle
Exchange of Souls

Rifleman Knight
Man-eating Tiger
Devouring Lizard
Gaia Gem Monk
Mercenary
Blitz Soldier
Ball of Flame
Boulder Drop

Witch
Carrier [Singer of Friendship]
Sea Claw
Rapidly Flying Apprentice
Giant Ancient Tortoise
Mermaid Archer
Deep Sleep
Lost Tome

Note, if you've been around you might remember the last time we did this. As you can see, we've swapped out a few cards based on changes to the Starters, the Introductory Quest, and based on comments from our users.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Re: Beginner's Packs Return Friday

Postby piratipper » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:12 pm

Nice one!
On the whole- at a quick glance they look pretty good to me :)
piratipper

Postby Peralisc2 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:24 pm

Will just give my opinion on the cards, if the addition is good or bad. It's just some sort of wanna be "rating" based on my personal preferences.

Elite Folrart Acolyte - great
Blessed Armor Knight - good
Pegasus - great
Folrart Guardian - great
Novice Folrart Acolyte - at least decent. I added 3 of him to my refess alt account, i like the tanky 30 HP for a level 1 and the AT can be buffed. Believe it or not, having it DID and does make a difference.
Priest of the Holy Word - i believe it's just ok, it's not outstanding, but try it out if you get it.
Over Soul - super awsome must have
this is really important. This like some sort of universal proxy to refess sphere and a way to have extra copies without actually having them!
One of my alts got 3 of these and i been testing it with it, 6x dalos does hurt. Now i only need some extra refess grims or something. XD

Magic Bolt - good for those that get at least level 4 into refess

Succubus - great
Skeleton Warrior - sometimes great, other times pathetic
Lycanthrope [Legion] - good
Living Armor - good
Night Soul - good
Crest Halberd Soldier - great with buffs
Flesh Recycle - ahm ... doubt this was necessary, but ok
Exchange of Souls - great

Rifleman Knight - mmmmokeyh
Man-eating Tiger - NECESSITY
Devouring Lizard - lewl
Gaia Gem Monk - decent
Mercenary - good
Blitz Soldier - great
Ball of Flame - must have
Boulder Drop - hmm okey

Witch - >_>
Carrier [Singer of Friendship] - great
Sea Claw - decent
Rapidly Flying Apprentice - good
Giant Ancient Tortoise - great
Mermaid Archer - good
Deep Sleep - good
Lost Tome - must have

Refess got best card choice of all and a really awsome one on top of that!
The others even out with the selection and are below refess.

From this card selection, refess gotten cards that can be all included in same deck / same type of deck. The others got something that covers wider areas and different themes ... a bit unfocused here and there, but they should be useful.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Otonashi » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:48 pm

Did you mean Friday the 19th or Tuesday the 16th for the ending date? >.>

Edit: Nevermind, it's the 16th in APRIL. I thought you said March lol
Last edited by Otonashi on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otonashi

Postby Noria » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:49 pm

an awesome offer imo, especially refess and lawtia got some really good units to upgrade the starter files.

i would have bought it if i could back then... ;th2
Noria

Postby Xovian » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:40 pm

Some really nice additions.

My version, lowest to highest:
lol = 1
ehhh = 2
good = 3
great = 4
outstanding = 5

Elite Folrart Acolyte - 3
Blessed Armor Knight - 3
Pegasus - 3, 4 if you plan to use the guardian listed below.
Folrart Guardian - 5 unless you already have her or have enough refess cards to make better files, there's no reason to not use this card.
Novice Folrart Acolyte - 2
Priest of the Holy Word - 2
Over Soul - 5+ (this one is one of the few that is useful in almost ANY file, regardless of sphere)
Magic Bolt - 3, but highly recommended that you're using the folrart guardians with them.

Succubus - 4, with the cards in the starter plus this pack, viable uses of night are very good.
Skeleton Warrior - 5 While probably a 3 maybe 4 for the actual card, the Soul Skill makes this one of the best cards for lawtia in this pack
Lycanthrope [Legion] - 4, even non EN files can use this, and it's DIRT cheap.
Living Armor - 3
Night Soul - 3
Crest Halberd Soldier - 3, 4 if you have other cards that can buff like the paladin or even the old reliable dolls.
Flesh Recycle - 4, probably the best grim for the pack. Highly underestimated. It can save creatures that have more then 20 hp from grim spam.
Exchange of Souls - 3

Rifleman Knight - 3, It's dirt cheap, perfect for sacrificing or just having something that's annoying on the back row.
Man-eating Tiger - 5 Free revive, you dont get cheaper then this, special ability on top of that....get em fast!
Devouring Lizard - 3 good for a beefy unit if ya need a tank to absorb some hits, the ability helps vs DF as well.
Gaia Gem Monk - 1
Mercenary - 4, still one of the best base units you can get, and can work in any gowen file.
Blitz Soldier - 4 cheap and effective.
Ball of Flame - 5, probably the best aoe effects in the game per cost/damage
Boulder Drop - 2, useful vs some files

Witch - 4, while the witch open is classic, there are better but if you're just getting into Falkow, you want her there for all the rush files.
Carrier [Singer of Friendship] - 3
Sea Claw - 2
Rapidly Flying Apprentice - 2, 3 if using for SS
Giant Ancient Tortoise - 3, was never fond of the turtle.
Mermaid Archer - 3
Deep Sleep - 3
Lost Tome - 3, 4 if planning to use specific combination's which are not part of this pack.

To the GM's and Staff:
Well done on this one, now this is the type of packs I'm sure people will be interested in.
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Postby Noria » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:05 pm

Despite from this being a good offer I got one question, why isn´t this beginner´s pack an alltime offer? 45 cards for 500 gran is more expensive than lotto, but it would really help out any newcomers to get started.
Noria

Postby Peralisc2 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:26 pm

They will take it down, have a break for such a pack (probably another long break) and later they gonna release an improved version of this that will also be temporary ... and the cicle goes on. Because of a not known reason.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby garcia1000 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:12 pm

Wait, I don't get it. So do you get to choose by sphere? Like can I buy a "Beginner Falkow" pack?
"Pixies are all level 2, right? So why not try to drop cyclone on them?"
garcia1000

Postby methebest » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:13 pm

i think its random
i apologise for any incomprehensible posts as i tend to make them
methebest

Next

Return to Castle Folrart