Beginner's Packs Return Friday

Official News and Announcements

Re: Beginner's Packs Return Friday

Postby Romdeau » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:48 pm

Anyone care to construct a more "impressive" list that doesn't include 3 star or higher rarities?
Romdeau

Postby Logress » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:45 am

OK, the new beginner's packs are up in the Card Shop!
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Multi » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:08 am

Logress wrote:OK, the new beginner's packs are up in the Card Shop!

I dunno if it was on purpose, but that was a nice sidestep of "why aren't beginner packs set like the starter packs?"
Image Sometimes, it's like this.
Multi

Postby Demongod » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:49 pm

Only good ones in Gowen are blitz, merc, and ball. Roflknight iff (if and only if) you have EX Merc nation. Man eating tiger I have 3 of already. Devouring lizard and boulder drop and whatever else in there stink.
Nerf Elite Fencer. Change start skill to "target unit of agi 4 or higher gets AGI = 3. Then, this unit gets AGI = 4 for this turn and ATK +10"

For the great justice of the diverse meta.
Demongod

Postby Multi » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:54 pm

Demongod wrote:Only good ones in Gowen are blitz, merc, and ball. Roflknight iff (if and only if) you have EX Merc nation. Man eating tiger I have 3 of already. Devouring lizard and boulder drop and whatever else in there stink.

Rifleman knight is a decent card in its own right and doesn't necessarily require ex merc nation. 50atk from the back row for a lvl1 card is pretty decent and a suitable card to use in sacrifices as well, with the ability to use charge it can one shot most things if your front line holds up.

This is a beginner's pack, you're already level 80's or 90's now, hardly a beginner. Nobody cares what you have already, this pack assumes you're working with basically the starter. Devouring lizard is a decent card, not as good nowadays due to powercreep, and boulder drop is also a decent card, 3sp to do 40dmg to a row, i think it hits 4-5-6? Most units placed on that row won't have more than 40hp generally.
Image Sometimes, it's like this.
Multi

Postby Spears » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:51 pm

Otonashi wrote:I think the idea behind the cards is, they should be usable 1*s, but not the best 1*s.

I agree that this is how it should be but gowen and refess have gained the arguably most desirable sub 3* cards for their respective sphere whilst the other two have merely gained the best of a bad bunch. These packs should be balanced by strength not balanced by rarity, and should fill up holes in the starters not make one more dominant than another. I dont feel anybody could argue that gowen starter which is already the most folart ready file really needed the bof or the merc, guardian makes refess more playable in folart without ex lap but the other packs dont seem to offer very much. So a suggestion each Pack contains one 2* their is one 2* for each sphere and they replace a current card in the sphere list.

Salamander soldier> Mercenary. Mercenary is a very potent card and one which i dont feel many starter files have an answer for whilst salamander soldier shears up a weakness in the gowen starter rather than making its strengths overly powerful, i recognise that some may not like the fact that it can be used by any starter but that is in part to balance the fact that gowen does have it so good with the cards available to it at the start.

Unwanted charity>Priest of the holy word. Hold up how come i want rid of merc but not guardian? Because i think guardian would make the refess starter competitive but not overly so i would say its on a par with a bof equipped gowen starter and would you look at that said gowen starter just got a sin to wollop that guardian. Unwanted chairty helps the refess player dodge this sin encouraging intelligent play and discouraging obvious sin ss. Maybe armour knight would be a better discard than priest but a more avid refess player than i could probably answer that better.
( from this point i can no longer see what im writing i apologise if its a bit garbled)

Warning knife>Crest halberd soldier. Wtf isnt crest halberd good? Yes i think crest halberd is good but the lawtia starter already comes with Shade soldier, Moonlight warrior, Revenant. All lvl 3 units around the same stats as Halberd, warning knife helps lawtia take down those guardians and dual aze wielders that it is likely to encounter.

Sweeping tidalwave> Rapidly flying apprentice. The falkow starter already has falnking attack if you really need to move your opponents units around or spank that ex zuga, and whilst the rfa ss is pretty tasty you really need a miracle fruit to make it work and even then you dont need a playset of them. Tidalwave could be used to remove any sin fodder once again helping encourage advanced play, it can send back blitz soldier or a pesky lycan, it could even be used to bounce your own sylphs so fencer can bring some more pain.

Comments?
Spears

Postby Xovian » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:55 pm

If I were gonna trade into a two star for one of the one star rarities on the list:

Refess:
Priest of the Holy Word to Light Magic Archer.
Free revive, which is useful for any sphere, but having at least 1 fast attacker for Refess can be a huge help.
Also a sin bait for the Refess user.

Crest Halberd Soldier to Crest Devil Night
Both have a similar close skill, but this gives the Lawtia starter (arguably the worst of the 4) a little more presence mid to end game.
Gives the other files another decent creature to have to worry about late game lawtia, cause we all know Dalos on his own is not what he use to be.

Gaia Gem Monk to Der Freischutz
Helps Gowen have that little extra something for DF besides the Lizard in this pack.
It also would be highly considered by many for its usefulness as a decent SS.

Giant Ancient Tortoise to Strike Sorcerer of Regus
It fits Falkows theme the best as far as manipulation and opening "options" which are probably the most varied, and each is effective in its own right.
Given Falkow's "weak" hp creatures, this can shore it up some in the beginning.

As to Rom's comment if it went up to 3?
Same cards traded but here would be my vote for the 3's:

Refess:
Grim: Like the Hand of God
or
Unit: 3rd Shrine Leader /Ridrea

Lawtia:
Grim: Pure Terror
or
Unit: Darkness Mirror / Aegis

Gowen:
Grim: Fairy Dance
or
Unit: Mad Beast /Dandan

Falkow:
Grim: Shear Winds
or
Unit: Forest Sorceress / Anttila

*On an off note: i rated the gem monk a 1 because i called it the worst out of the whole pack (it was the most average). Something had to be a 1, and i chose that one.
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Postby Romdeau » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:10 pm

You misread Xovian, I meant 2 star or lower.
Romdeau

Postby Xovian » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:25 pm

Ehh, oh well got both listed now.
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Postby Spears » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:14 am

I chose those two stars because they work with only one copy rather than having to replace 3 cards from the starter, it is less of a gran value difference and because by removing a set of mediocre units from the options available your more likely to get a useful one, i dont think that they are the best two stars for each sphere but i think that they balance each other and the starters out.
Spears

PreviousNext

Return to Castle Folrart