Beginner's Packs Return Friday

Official News and Announcements

Re: Beginner's Packs Return Friday

Postby Multi » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:20 am

I think it's greedy to ask for more, considering it's 500 gran and there are no GARBAGE cards like we had so many of last time. To call any of these cards bad is silly, and I've seen pretty much all of them in major files since i started back in set 3. You get 45 cards out of a specialized pool with built in safeguards against getting more than 3 of a copy and getting too many grimoires. It's 11.1gran per card rather than the 10gran you'd pay in lotto or the 30gran you pay for packs. There's no real gamble involved, you lose the chance to be a BIG winner, but alteil isn't a game just about rarities as most staple cards are of the 1* variety anyways, and that's what this is about. This pack is about quickly and cheaply expanding the starters' options and abilities in an efficient and cheap way. What I found stupid last time is they threw in random complete garbage 1*'s just because that tends to be the policy of alteil us when making these types of packs.

Black hound, criminal edge, or in ex packs, volcano giant, castle wight, or in reinforcement packs, gladiator, etc. Cards I have never EVER seen used in ANY major file.

Obviously these packs are aimed at a very specific userbase, if you happen to be one of those and still want to complain, then either aren't who these packs are aimed at or you're just greedy and/or jealous because gowen gets stupid good cards as a whole :V
Image Sometimes, it's like this.
Multi

Postby Spears » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:28 am

I dont disagree that they are good value and would probably recommend them to new players, i just felt that the packs could be a bit more balanced. Incidently why is black hound white? is there some joke that ive missed?
Spears

Postby Multi » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:51 am

Spears wrote:I dont disagree that they are good value and would probably recommend them to new players, i just felt that the packs could be a bit more balanced. Incidently why is black hound white? is there some joke that ive missed?

That's what my valentine's contest entry was lawl. I love you Black hound, even though you're white.
Image Sometimes, it's like this.
Multi

Postby oyzar » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:01 am

The offer is probably for a limited time so people can't just save up gran from mirage masters and get the packs when they get enough but instead have to actually pay money for it. If there is an option of waiting and getting it for free less people would buy it.

As for the gowen parts being best, their starter is already the best so they would require higher power level for people to bother to buy it. That said is it really THAT big upgrade? Ball of flame is probably good, and man-eating tiger is slightly better than the creatures in there, but it doesn't do anything different nor a lot better and you might end up not even getting 3 of them. Max you can get out of it is like 4(or if you are unlucky 2) cards and that is not worth 5$? I get that the other cards are potentially playable, but they aren't really better than the cards in the starter...

An analysis of which cards you would swap out from the starter for these cards is more useful than what cards are playable in a vacum.
oyzar

Postby luckysvn777 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:26 am

The offer is probably for a limited time so people can't just save up gran from mirage masters and get the packs when they get enough but instead have to actually pay money for it. If there is an option of waiting and getting it for free less people would buy it.

Yea, that's one argument for the limited time... but then there's the fact that you're now kinda rejecting the free players again and catering only to the low-spenders. Keeping packs like that around would only serve to increase free-player retention greatly, and some of those who would have left would probably someday end up spending for a lot more than $5. The low spending players, the ones who would have spent the $5 to buy this pack, and only this pack, would spend that $5 on something else eventually anyway..

In other words, I don't think it'll encourage much additional spending by being limited.. and would just encourage more free players to stay if it was a permanent offer.
luckysvn777

Postby DDrgn » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:42 am

Actually, doing the math, if you started saving Gran today, at 15 Gran a day from MM, you'll end up with ~560 Gran(34 days x 15 a day = 510 Gran + 50(10 per week from at least one duel in the arenas) = 560), which would be enough to get one pack.

I got one on one of my alts(had been saving since the seasonal lotto xD), yesterday, and I got at least one playset of a card from each sphere. No Over Souls was slightly disappointing, but pretty good overall.
( ゚ ヮ゚)b
DDrgn

Postby garcia1000 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:44 am

oyzar wrote:The offer is probably for a limited time so people can't just save up gran from mirage masters and get the packs when they get enough but instead have to actually pay money for it. If there is an option of waiting and getting it for free less people would buy it.

As for the gowen parts being best, their starter is already the best so they would require higher power level for people to bother to buy it. That said is it really THAT big upgrade? Ball of flame is probably good, and man-eating tiger is slightly better than the creatures in there, but it doesn't do anything different nor a lot better and you might end up not even getting 3 of them. Max you can get out of it is like 4(or if you are unlucky 2) cards and that is not worth 5$? I get that the other cards are potentially playable, but they aren't really better than the cards in the starter...

An analysis of which cards you would swap out from the starter for these cards is more useful than what cards are playable in a vacum.

Man-eating tiger is HUGE. No idea how you can call it just 'slightly better'. Free revival is super important for rush decks, and it's a half-tank, and doesn't need rankup so you can play it early game while slowly increasing your gowen sphere.
Also ball of flame is pretty good.

Mercenary is a bit overrated, I think. It's not that good and easy to fall into trap of wasting too much SP on it.
"Pixies are all level 2, right? So why not try to drop cyclone on them?"
garcia1000

Postby luckysvn777 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:00 am

DDrgn wrote:Actually, doing the math, if you started saving Gran today, at 15 Gran a day from MM, you'll end up with ~560 Gran(34 days x 15 a day = 510 Gran + 50(10 per week from at least one duel in the arenas) = 560), which would be enough to get one pack.

I got one on one of my alts(had been saving since the seasonal lotto xD), yesterday, and I got at least one playset of a card from each sphere. No Over Souls was slightly disappointing, but pretty good overall.

Yes, that's true.. but if you don't get what you wanted, then oh well, too bad for you.

Not to mention the people who join a week or two from now get left out then..
luckysvn777

Postby oyzar » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Gowen can win just fine without tiger, the card doesn't change the strategy even if it makes it slightly stronger. Even if we disagree that it is only slightly stronger there still is no guarantee you will get 3 of it (I've gotten to level 21 with my gowen starting like a week ago despite not having spent any money on it and having no tigers).

Also mirage masters is terribly laggy and freezes frequently for me(probably because i am not in america) and as such getting 15 gran per day is nearly impossible.
oyzar

Postby neviscus » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:54 pm

I think all the spheres got a pretty good boost. On lawtia's defense I say these are really good at making the lawt starter competive. My lawtia account has just one succubus, an extra night soul, and the scylla's from lv up and it is competive. then they get flesh recycle for the witchs or other annoying support, and skeleton warrior for the SS. However I feel it is unfair to lawtia and falkow that one could build a good backbone for a file with the refess cards and gowen cards. It feels like the cards themselves have just good synergy while, falkow IMO is way too thrown together
neviscus

PreviousNext

Return to Castle Folrart