RP Arena News

Official News and Announcements

Re: RP Arena News

Postby azurewrath » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:23 pm

I would guess this is an easier way to level up too. At higher levels, each win is basically only the +15 exp so you might as well make it easier on yourself and win here instead for level up cards!
azurewrath

Postby Multi » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:54 pm

Politikas wrote:When someone who never played Alteil JP starts telling he knows it better than JP GMs, Logress, or players who play there regulary, and starts giving advices based on his wast knowledge.... well it gets on my nerves a bit I have to admit.

It's cool, I'm not judging you or anything. There's a lot of throwing out random statements as fact on this forum afterall. It's a bit of a cop out, but usually when I make a statement, I throw in the fact that I'm not 100% sure that it's true. Practically everything that goes on behind doors is unknown to us players, even when given an official statement, we can't be sure it's just PR and not the truth.

It's like one time I went to this restaurant, and my noodles were WAY overcooked, so I asked for new ones, but the server told me that all the noodles would be like that because they were already cooked for that day. Years later I ended up working there and I found out that was total BS because the noodles are cooked to order because they only take 30 seconds to cook. Basically they lied to me so they wouldn't have to do more work and use up more product, but I was none the wiser and accepted. Maybe that's a poor analogy to use here, since it implies that our staff tells white lies to us, but the general idea that we as players don't know what really goes on in the back still holds true.

The subject of how alteil jp is run much more efficiently and has more events, etc has been brought up many times, but there's really no big imminent risk to Alteil US because there are no decent competitors. There isn't another spiff card game as good as Alteil to steal away its playerbase. There are of course other online games that can take away players, but they aren't direct head to head competition. Players who like this game, end up sticking to it, even by tooth and nail. Big spenders who can't afford to quit anymore and people like demongod who have nothing but mountains of complaints yet still manage to stick around, vowing to never leave.
Image Sometimes, it's like this.
Multi

Postby Peralisc2 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:23 pm

I say lack of playerbase proves directly there are some "invisible" competitors. ^^
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby worthing » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:12 am

i like this idea. Give new players motivation to make it to the arena and they can get there by facing people around there skill level to make i there.
worthing

Postby Peralisc2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:52 am

Ok ... i just got a serious question to ask the GMs about the abusability of RP.

Ain't RP abuseable right now as it is?
- get low RP
- fight only low RPs
- as someone said (crimsonshade i think), if you don't get an oponent for 10 seconds then you might get a high RP guy instead, quit and search at some other time

So basically all over again, exact same issue. Even if you get once in 10 games a high RP guy, the RP matching will still most of the time give you some low RP peeps.

QUESTION: How exactly ain't the system abuseable even now as it is??
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Logress » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:50 pm

It might be abusable, but having low RP actually physically puts you in a different arena where it's actually impossible to every get a fight with a high-RP person, it opens up the door for it to be game-breaking. It's also obvious. It is possible there are users sitting in Folrart right now, timing their wait times and dropping their RP, but it's hardly a science. Also, it's probably going to be a forum-goer who's read up on the GM responses to how matchmaking works. In the world of an RP arena, it's not just the small % of users who read the forums possibly practicing an imperfect art to get easier matches. It's everyone looking at the rules and saying 'I just need to lose a match to someone with an RP of X to be guaranteed Y easy battles.'

My guess is that the situation was really bad in Japan because they are not as aggressive about going after cheaters as we are, in my experience. If the cheater isn't obvious to the other players, they probably won't go after him. And they won't spend all their time going after cheaters and neglect other parts of the game like we do sometimes...
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Politikas » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:22 am

Neglecting like quests, or like set 7?
Politikas

Postby Artist » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:13 pm

The issue is that there's too many goals people reach for. Below is a thorough explanation of what the problem is and how it can be fixed.

In the example of starcraft 2, other than the goal of having fun, the only other goal is to get to a higher rank. In that case, everyone went for the same thing, and all was well.

However, in Altei, there's 2 goals. One goal is to have a very high RP, to display how good you are as a player, much like the ranking system in starcraft 2. The 2nd goal however, is to obtain more cards. Obtaining more cards involves either 1, getting more weekly gran, or 2, winning treasure duels. Due to the difference of these 2 goals, there will be a divided amount of people doing perusing different things, thus, the entire idea of "keeping the game fair" by RP split is defeated.

This is more of a fallacy of game design than anything else, and it would require massive amounts of redesign to fix. If somehow, the RP and the amount of cards you get would be tied together, for example, maybe the RP constitutes how many cards you get at the end of the week, or maybe the RP determines the amount of treasure duels you have, then RP itself would be the sole goal for Alteil. But, that would raise a much bigger issue, and that would be that the better a player, the better he would be, and the worse the player, the less likely the player will get better. It would create a separation of the good and bad, much like how there's separations of the rich and poor, the rich will get richer, and the poor will stay poor, or look even worse in comparison.

This is where the RP arena comes into play. If the above system was implemented, it would create a horrible system. However, if RP arenas were established, it would once again make it fair. The rich will only be compared with the rich, and the poor will be compared with the poor. Everyone would have the same goals of having the highest RP, and all would be well.
Artist

Postby Peralisc2 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:24 pm

Anyways, easiest way to deal with this:

RP arena gives
- only FM reward for each battle, no weekly gran, but could give weekly FM x10 instead, so earn like 1000 to 1500 FM extra/week at best
- TBs are starter cards only

Problems fixed.
ImageImage
Peralisc2

Postby Lateralus923 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:40 pm

Peralisc2 wrote:Anyways, easiest way to deal with this:

RP arena gives
- only FM reward for each battle, no weekly gran, but could give weekly FM x10 instead, so earn like 1000 to 1500 FM extra/week at best
- TBs are starter cards only

Problems fixed.

/agree

Nice solution!!!
It'll be like a taco, within a taco, inside a Taco Bell, inside a KFC, inside a mall, that's INSIDE YOUR DREAM!!!!!!
Lateralus923

PreviousNext

Return to Castle Folrart