Updates

Official News and Announcements

Updates

Postby lupos » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:57 pm

They say "no news is good news"... sadly, I have news for you. Alpha has been officially skipped. Not happening any more. We found out what we needed to find out, the fact that our system isn’t ready, so we are making the changes necessary to make it ready, but they won't be done in time to run before the Beta. More news, they won't even be done in time for the Beta itself. As of now, our "guaranteed turn on date" is June 25th for the new connection. For those of you who remember that’s 2 days after we had intended to start. Now, there is a chance it "might" be finished before then, but we want to make sure this goes right. So far we've tried to schedule right down to the wire so you could get to play ASAP, but that seems to keep biting us in the @$$ so this time we are trying to leave a little bit more cushion to make sure things go according to plan.

I want to make sure that it's known that from the very beginning of this project I have been very adamant about making sure that our communication with you, the users, our iczers, is direct and honest. We are not a huge company, we don't have millions of dollars to throw at projects on a whim. We are a small group of people who work long and hard to make the best products we can and I like to think that a lot of our customers stick with us because they understand and appreciate the effort that goes into everything we do. I'm happy to say that I feel like that's already happening with Alteil. In spite of our missteps and issues you all have been incredibly positive and supportive and most importantly excited. It makes me glad to be working on this and game and especially glad to be able to get to know all of you.

Back to business...

Another reason for the time between our turn on and the launch of the Beta is to allow sufficient time to configure our new server set up. In spite of the fact that we barely managed to make our single test server break a sweat with the alpha we have decided to increase our server capacity by 33%!! We now will have 4 instead of 3. The time necessary to spread duties out amongst the machines and reconfigure things shouldn't be very long, but I'd rather have you wait a day or two more and have a great experience than to show up on day one and be disappointed.

In other news you may notice, in tiny little bits, that I continue to adjust things here and there on the main site. I appreciate, again, all your patience. I'm about one more typo away from putting one of those 1996 style "under construction" animated gifs of the stick figure digging at the top of the page. Though I'm sure GaoGaiGirl would have my head for tarnishing her wonderful design.

Finally, some of you may recall we had anticipated a bit of down time on the site a couple weeks back due to transferring the domain name to the US. Turns out that wasn’t a problem because when our registrar brought over the domain name they kept the same DNS server that it's always used. Which is in Japan. Which still prevents us from sending emails to AOL users without showing up as SPAM. Sooo.... gonna switch that tomorrow. Takes 12-48 hours. I will do my darndest to keep tabs on things and make any necessary changes as soon as I can, but there will, undoubtedly, be a brief laps in service here. Fear not, we shan't be gone long. We are quite tenacious.

That about sums everything up for now. As is our current practice, if you have any questions, comments please head over to the forum and share. I'll do my darndest to reply in my own particular...

...idiom sir?

IDIOM!
;a39
lupos
Site Admin

Re: Updates

Postby jvLin » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:15 pm

First of off, I'd like to tell you that this new forum is awesome! Thanks for updating it. I also had a question regarding beta. I postponed my flight to Taiwan before (I'm in California right now) so I could play alpha and beta, but I can't make it now because they won't let me postpone it again to after the 25th (I'm leaving on the 23rd). I don't know if the internet there will be able to connect to Alteil during beta, or if I'll even have internet there at all. I don't want to miss out on any of the beta prizes, since I've been waiting for this game for some time now. Do I actually have to log in and play to get the alpha/beta presents, or will having an account suffice? If I do have to log in and play, I hope you won't restrict it to the United States while I'm in Taiwan(I'm coming back in about a month), and I hope I have internet.

Big thanks for your time and hard work! Regards, Jeff.
jvLin

Postby Kchark » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:16 pm

Well it's a shame that we won't be able to play for another week or so, but I guess it's good to make sure that everything is up and running 100% this time. Although I must admit, the one night of the Alpha was pretty fun, even if I never got to play an actual match. :)

Good luck with your upgrades! See you in the Beta!
Kchark

Postby Grain » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:24 pm

lupos wrote:That about sums everything up for now. As is our current practice, if you have any questions, comments please head over to the forum and share. I'll do my darndest to reply in my own particular...

...idiom sir?

IDIOM!
;a39

1 - Thank you for taking time out of the busy schedule to post this.

2 - I appreciated the Holy Grail joke.

-Grain
Grain

Postby DanTheTimid » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:32 pm

Definitely sad news to hear, but such is life, things don't always go the way we'd like. My desire to play the game is at its boiling point so I may need some counseling to get me through the week but rest assured I intend to make it through and be a helpful beta tester whenever the beta actually kicks into gear.

Also I for one truly appreciate all you guys have done trying to both get this game up and running, but also finding time to listen to and interact with us, the future players. The open-ness and honesty the company has shown has already endeared itself to me, I hope to be present as I watch this company continue to grow into something very successful.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby lupos » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:16 am

jvLin wrote:Do I actually have to log in and play to get the alpha/beta presents, or will having an account suffice?

Having an account will suffice. We aren't uptight enough, nor do we have the excess of time necessary, to go through and verify every single person who does or dosn't login. Not to mention with the slooooow connection on alpha day it would be impossible to say who was trying to get on anyway. Also, while we don't support other countries there is nothing in place to prevent you from playing anywhere in the world. Except behind the great firewall of china perhaps. Though I doubt we are on their radar as offenders. Though maybe this post will be enough. Maybe I just write that, hmmm... Anyway, we may some day have to implement a geographical filter if the game is officially licensed in other English territories but for now we are keeping open.

Also thanks for the kind words all. It's about 12:15 am here and I'm up working on a little side project in between fiddling with the Alteil site and will be for probably another 45 min so let me know if there are any other questions. Other wise I'll try and catch up in the morning.
lupos
Site Admin

Postby erestor » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:58 am

think you lupos and all the team for the hard work
and thanks for the update
i was gettin worried there for a sec
famous last words: ''trust me, nothing bad will happen...''
erestor

Postby Akjeil » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:12 am

lupos wrote:We are a small group of people who work long and hard to make the best products we can and I like to think that a lot of our customers stick with us because they understand and appreciate the effort that goes into everything we do. I'm happy to say that I feel like that's already happening with Alteil. In spite of our missteps and issues you all have been incredibly positive and supportive and most importantly excited. It makes me glad to be working on this and game and especially glad to be able to get to know all of you.

;a39

Yep, I guess that sums it up; we're all in this together. I must say, even with the delays, I have had some fun what with exploring the new site, posting, reading people's posts, and all. Oh, and here's an idea for the digging stick figure: just have GaoGaiGirl add the phrase "under construction" (in a stylish font, no less) to the homepage art, and hyperlink it to a hidden page with the animated stick-gif, (a la the bonus History of Lavato hidden chapter on the old site.)

No need for anyone to have anyone's head before the official card-slayings... :twisted:
Akjeil the Merciful
-----------------------------------------------------------
Azula: "Since you're too blind to see it, I'm rolling my eyes."
Toph: "I'll roll your whole head!!!"
-Avatar: the Last Airbender, Season 3, "The Eclipse"
"A rabbit made from candy > candy made from a rabbit."
-Important Things With Demetri Martin, "Games: Greater than/ Equal to"
Akjeil

Postby numerrik » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:22 am

we still get the alpha prizes, right?
numerrik

Postby Cain » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:30 am

holy grail joke??
and yea, what about our prizes ;,,;
(even though i missed out on the play times)
Cain

Next

Return to Castle Folrart