Dragon Emperor's Squire Tournament Oct 3-4th

Official News and Announcements

Re: Dragon Emperor's Squire Tournament Oct 3-4th

Postby SadistOkita » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:35 pm

The many dragon strategies made me belive the game is really imbalanced and only makes me think even more that high level decks are lame and unfair. :/ Game is kind of broken i must say, some cards are so damn useless when you can choose from all cards. T_______T

Who will ever play scythe or eagle soldier when they are only level 3 and there are so many spell and effects to counter them very easy????

At least i learned some combos and its not like i didn't enjoy the tournament, it still was fun. It was so easy to copy any strategy i saw and then use it against some other dragon deck. This is how i got my first draw ever! :)
Not to mention there were tons of multisphere strategies, even half of those dragon decks had at least 2 spheres with high level cards!
SadistOkita

Postby reddwood » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:21 pm

so if i win 10 straight i should just stop playin?
reddwood

Postby Candi » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:32 pm

IF you suspect no one else has, 11-0 > 10-0 etc etc.
And I know of at least one person with 11-0.
Candi

Postby Cheezy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:15 pm

SadistOkita wrote:The many dragon strategies made me belive the game is really imbalanced and only makes me think even more that high level decks are lame and unfair. :/ Game is kind of broken i must say, some cards are so damn useless when you can choose from all cards. T_______T

Who will ever play scythe or eagle soldier when they are only level 3 and there are so many spell and effects to counter them very easy????

At least i learned some combos and its not like i didn't enjoy the tournament, it still was fun. It was so easy to copy any strategy i saw and then use it against some other dragon deck. This is how i got my first draw ever! :)
Not to mention there were tons of multisphere strategies, even half of those dragon decks had at least 2 spheres with high level cards!

While I do agree high level decks are a pain sometimes, I think they're fairly balanced. You just need some good anti-big-creature-deck-cards and good timing.

There are some useless cards, but most of them can be used at least in one way or another. I've seen scythe soldier played pretty often and he certainly isn't useless.
When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.
Cheezy

Postby deathmasterb » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:08 am

Mirth wrote:(I'm curious though if some of the participating accounts were multis trying out different decks* ... saw several with 1500 RP level 2-6 and a great handle on battle dynamics)

Did I play you, Mirth? I think I'm one of the players you're referring to. I'm not a multi, but I was fortunate enough to learn a great strategy early on in the game, against another lv 20+ that timed out for some reason. I'm obsessed with trading card games, although I didn't think I'd have this much luck in the tournament.

Anyway, for feedback, I LOVED the tournament. I ended up with 9 wins 1 draw, the phoenix defense guy was impossible to take down. When will we know the tournament results? :)
deathmasterb

Postby SadistOkita » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:58 pm

While I do agree high level decks are a pain sometimes, I think they're fairly balanced. You just need some good anti-big-creature-deck-cards and good timing.

Hah! Fairly balanced, i wish it would be true! :/
I tried a dalos deck with 3 corruption cards and also added some merciless death cards. But i must say that a big creature deck is so much better and the only way i got draws was with a big creature deck.
The fact that it's overused shows clearly that everyone agrees it's an easy win deck and way stronger than low level decks.
SadistOkita

Postby Candi » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:50 pm

SadistOkita wrote:The fact that it's overused shows clearly that everyone agrees it's an easy win deck and way stronger than low level decks.

Not true. The fact that it's overused simply shows it's the flavour of the week/month. And in fact, I wouldn't say it's overused.

A big reason why it was overused in the tournament is likely because the emperors are 5 Star rares, and if you get to use any cards you want in a tourny I imagine many people saw it as an opportunity to fiddle with cards they will likely never see play sets of. I used a big creature file - not for "easy wins" - but because it requires two 5 star rares to play the file, and I just wanted to have fun with it while I could, and I did.

Big creature files can be and are/have been beaten by files using all units under level 5. There is at least one Iczer who runs a non-big creature file that destroys big creature files (I don't know what it is, but I know he does it). I have heard big creature file runners complain about rush files that build up and then maul their LP before then can really get a big creature down. Lawtia files have answers to everything (it's a very versatile sphere right now). From corruption to Merciless (merciless being much worse) - but a well played big creature file that accounts for these possible weaknesses may get around you. Assassin SS's (and now salamander soldier SS's) can beat a big creature file down.

And you run Lawtia? Have you heard of Succubus? It's a very nasty card with a nasty ability that will stop a big creature file in its tracks, if you can do it right.

All in all, big creature files are a flavour thing and once people start carrying better answers (or getting better at handling them) they will drop in usage.
Candi

Postby Phaze » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:46 pm

I played a little, but simply quit it after a while. My battle experience is almost nothing, my level and win/lose ratio says so. However, I ran into big creature decks (particularly Gowen), almost no Falkow players and I did run into them it was usually a newbie who was excited to play all these cards but had no idea what to do, ran into Endless Night for Lawtia, and Endless Morning for Refess.

I enjoyed the fact we could play with the cards, but it was somewhat overwhelming to choose what goes in your deck. I think I editted so many times I caused myself to lose more than win. ;attack Playing an Endless Night deck for myself was particuarly a challenge when others played Endless Morning or tried to smash my cards through and through. To go through this process makes me appreciate the simplicity of my modified starter! xD
I didn't run into any Dalos based decks though. I was fairly surprised.
Phaze

Postby Mirth » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:18 am

I please need this info confirmed/discredited about tournaments:

A player can join/leave tournaments as many times as they want.

For example: Player A joins the tournament. Loses twice. Leaves the tournament (wipes his record). Re-joins the tournament. Loses three times. Leaves again... Rinse repeat until you get a record you like.

I will be quite happy if this information is false. If it is true.... it screams "Abuse Abuse".

Thanks!

Sincerely, Mirth ;loading
Mirth

Postby Logress » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:05 am

On the totally free tournaments that is possible. Generally, the down side to lots of re-entering is that it there isn't a whole lot of time to rack up duels in these tournaments. For many people, getting time for the ten duels needed to qualify is tough, so restarting repeatedly is something they just don't have time for. Also, for the Start Battle prizes, really the more you duel the better. The Iczers who do best in those usually have the higher number of battles. If you're going to restart over and over trying to get a good record then someone brute force going for a high quantity of battles will beat you every time for stars. For win %, it's obviously a different story. It can be abused, but after three loses and a restart you haven't exactly given yourself a clean slate, because your enemies get to keep those wins and now it's that much harder for you to get more wins then them. This is why most free tournaments only have star battle prizes, I just wanted to try something different this time.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

PreviousNext

Return to Castle Folrart