Challenge of the Fortnight 3

Ongoing Promotions and Events

Challenge of the Fortnight 3

Postby Logress » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:30 am

Time for the next Challenge of the Fortnight, and the rotation now calls for a Falkow card. There are plenty of cards to choose from, but this particular card is something that has a lot going for it in many ways, though a lot of people have yet to realize it. Your new best friend for the next 14 days will be...

Swan Cavalier

The reasons for using her are many and varied, and it's more than just for that epic pose she's in. But that will be up to you Iczers to figure out. She is one of the starter cards, but it seems that many Iczers tend to swap her out fairly quickly without a second look. Well, at level three and 40 HP, it's pretty clear that she's not exactly a tank like the Sea Hunter. The agility of 2 and the range of 3 are also pretty indicative that her favored home might be in the second or third rows. And while her stats may not wow those who prefer powerhouses like the Giant Ork or Gladiator, they aren't half bad for a character meant to stay in the rear. And a certain tactic that Logress wrote about a few weeks ago might prove to be an option for some who dare to try it.

Ultimately though, it's the Swan Cavalier's Start Skill and Open Skill that make her a force to be reckoned with. Any time there's a unit on the field who can pump up her neighbors by 10 AT, it's usually a pretty significant threat that a wise opponent will want to deal with quickly. Unfortunately for them, Swan Cavalier has 40 HP, which makes her a bit more difficult to deal with considering other similar units generally have 30 HP or less. And quite a few of them also have a range of two or lower to boot. Hmm, she's not looking so bad right now.

As for her Open Skill, she's one of the select few that have one that requires SP. A bit of an oddity among most Open Skills, but it also means that if you don't have the SP available, the skill will not trigger. Spell: "Lightning Strike" also hits all units, so that's including your own, for all those keeping track. But that's not completely a detriment in some cases, especially in the endgame when things are getting touchy and you know your enemy is on his last copy of some unit or two. It also brings up another interesting question, one that also was brought up by the previous Challenge of the Fortnight's winner.

Advanced Tip of the Day: To all those experimenting who aren't aware of this little tidbit, pay attention. If you actively use any ability that hits all units and closes them at the same time, in what order will they be taken off the field at the beginning of the next round? If you guessed randomly, you would be wrong. The controller of the card, whether it is an Open Skill, Action Skill, or Close Skill, will always be punished first for these "suicidal" moves, and the cards will go off the field in order of the slot they take up. So from 1 all the way down to 9. Keep this in mind when dealing with this versatile unit.

So far, we’ve found plenty of creative Files pouring into our inboxes, but slightly less of them have made it into the arena. Therefore, we’re adding 100 Gran onto the normal 150 Gran +2 cards prize, if you’ve played the deck in Crest or Folrart and won 5 times (not necessarily in a row). You’ll need to leave the deck as is so it retains your win record, we will check to confirm the victories. Fortnight 2 due day date is two weeks from today, the 19th of November.

Good luck to all you Iczers out there, and let's see what this unit can really do!
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Re: Challenge of the Fortnight 3

Postby vickz » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:55 am

Hey,

I have a small request. Can we open a new arena that's a skirmish mode? I know Training is there, but pretty much everyone there is 'learning the ropes'. I like making new decks, and playing them. But a lot of times, they suck. At least at first, while I'm working out the kinks. So.. I hate taking an 100 rating hit, just to try new things every time. So, while I'm a falkow player and up to the challenge for swan cavalier. To try to win 5 games.. could rock my rating. Which led me to an idea for a skirmish arena. Just a thought.

Best,
Vickz
vickz

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:52 am

You know its funny how even with rating currently not giving you any rewards, not really meaning anything beyond maybe personal pride and if your top 3 a little notoriety (though everyone I meet in games still seems to know me more for my posts on the forum then the time I've spent in the top 3) people still are afraid to try out new things for risk of ruining their rating.

And don't get me wrong vickz, this isn't a knock on you, I'm the same way, I miss when the servers were first reset and I was flailing around at 1300-1400 cause back then atleast I felt free to try out a new card file every other game, since I reached the 1900s for some reason I feel this invisible pressure to only run card files I feel VERY strongly will be successful so as to not lose in an instant literally weeks of work I invested in getting my RP this high (even though increasing my RP was never my goal during that time, it just happened). Ideally there would be a way to link RP to specific card files, not players, so that a player could try out new card files with out damaging the RP of their old ones, but I know thats probably not likely to ever happen and I'm sure it has its own issues.

Personally I wouldn't mind an auto-matching training room (is that what you mean by skirmish) where are ratings aren't effected, I just question how popular it would really be, I'd suspect it wouldn't be significantly more popular then the current training room.

In any case, not owning an Swan Cavalier I really can't try out a deck for this challenge anyway.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Romdeau » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:51 pm

I choose to take up this challenge even if it's only for the epic pose.
Romdeau

Postby Logress » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:45 pm

Just a quick reminder that you have one more week left on the Challenge of the Fortnight 3 contest, Swan Caviler. Prize is 150 Gran and two rarity 2 cards. You don't need to own the card to brainstorm a combo, but it helps, and can earn you an extra prize of 100 Gran if you have 5 wins with it.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby frozenstar » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:15 pm

Excuse me, may I ask how to join the event?
Should I mail my deck to someone? or all I have to do is win 5 times with Swan Cavalier in my file? Just wonder how the winner of the event is determined.
I already win 5 times with Swan Cavalier. But I still don't have idea if I can join the event. I'll appreciated that if anyone tells me how to participate the event. Thanks
frozenstar

Postby Candi » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:36 pm

frozenstar wrote:Excuse me, may I ask how to join the event?
Should I mail my deck to someone? or all I have to do is win 5 times with Swan Cavalier in my file? Just wonder how the winner of the event is determined.
I already win 5 times with Swan Cavalier. But I still don't have idea if I can join the event. I'll appreciated that if anyone tells me how to participate the event. Thanks

Win 5 times with swam cavalier, then email the file to logress@alteil.com
Candi

Postby frozenstar » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:22 am

Candi wrote:Win 5 times with swam cavalier, then email the file to logress@alteil.com

Thanks a lot. I'll maill out asap.
frozenstar

Return to Crest Courtyard