Challenge of the Fortnight 4

Ongoing Promotions and Events

Postby Logress » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:16 pm

Apologies for the late start, but as we previously used to take one week off to judge the Challenge of the Fortnight, we were not quite accustomed to the new way of doing things. From now on, the Challenge of the Fortnight will hopefully start every two weeks. Rolling right along, our next Challenge of the Fortnight head back into familiar territory. The color wheel has been spun, and we are heading back to our target destination of Refess. Unfortunately, there has been much panning of our underdog sphere, and the reasons for doing so have been documented extensively in the forums. But there is probably no greater underdog of a Unit than the one that is about to be announced. If you haven't guessed it by now, this fortnight's challenge will be all about:

Armed Citizens

The funny thing about this Unit is the fact we were initially considering kicking off the Challenge of the Fortnight with it. In the context of the first two sets along with the first EX pack, it was decided that Armed Citizens was a bit too hard to use, and therefore would not be fun for our Iczers. However, certain things have changed now in the world of Alteil, and there might be some potential for this second-class Unit to be found over the course of the next two months, if you catch the drift.

Looking at this card, it's a pretty standard level 1 card. Its 20 HP is just about right, and its 1 range is pretty standard for Refess. As more of a support-type Unit, it's also no surprise that it has 0 AT, since the primary purpose of the card is to use its Open Skill and then be a sacrificial lamb for a Soul Skill. However, where it really stands out is in its agility, which is a whopping 5. There is no level 1 Unit in all of Alteil as it is now that has 5 agility right out of the box. Unfortunately with no attack power either, there's not much to be done with that agility. Or is there?

Since Armed Citizens is a level 1 card, it can be splashable, allowing it to be used in other color Files if needed. And if you're going for one sphere level in Refess, then you may as well add other level 1 cards to your File, of which there are six that are of varying degrees of usefulness. That is not to say that Armed Citizens is only good when used in other colors. Of all spheres, Refess is the one that most benefits from card modifiers that come in multiples of five. How to take that to your advantage is up to the individual Iczer.

This also marks the first time we have used a one-star rarity card in a Challenge of the Fortnight, so obtaining a copy should be relatively easy. Be sure to take a second look at this often overlooked powerhouse.

Remember, send your creations to logress@alteil.com, and if you have 5 victories or more with the File, you get a bonus prize.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Re: Challenge of the Fortnight 4

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:56 pm

This will definitely be interesting, I, along with several others (I believe even DWildStar though I do not wish to put words in his mouth, just basing this off of my observations of the files he ran) were heck-bent on finding a way to make Armed Citizens useful when set 2 first came out. I personally saw and tried out all sorts of combinations with her both in the early and late game but nothing ever seemed to be worth the trouble. If she was like Sylph/Undine, her fellow level 1 temporary stat boost units, and actually had attack and range she could definitely have been useful, but the sad reality was that in almost every situation I used her in I found I'd have been better off playing either Magic Weapon, or something that could actually be useful after hitting the field.

I truly hope some one figures something out with her I couldn't, but just for fun heres a little combo I had tried a few times though it never proved to be worth it in the long run.

Situation - My opening play was Blessed Accolyte, my opponents was Kurina or combat monk.

Turn 2 I would play armed citizens giving the accolyte a measely 5 attack boost... but just enough to allow him to 1 shot the Kurina or monk while his hefty hp guarenteed he'd live long enough to get his chance to attack.

From there I could play a level 3 on turn 3 and they'd either have to expend an sp to revive their monk or atleast be out 1 Kurina. It was rather cool to actually kill a gowen unit turn 1 with refess so it earned style points, but the harsh reality was with their turn 2 they almost always had played something useful (maybe blitz, maybe salamander, etc.) and I now found myself effectively out numbered 2 to 1, a position you can't afford to get in against gowen, especially so early.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Azul » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:24 pm

Hm. I've tried a few ideas with the Citizens before, but they didn't work out. Wonder if I can improve on them.

Also, a late thanks for the Undine Soldier from the last Challenge. >_>
Azul

Postby Peralisc2 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:15 pm

I PMed my idea, hope logress dosnt have a full inbox.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Logress » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:13 pm

Just a reminder that Challenge of Fortnight 4 is ongoing. Your new and interesting implementations of the legendary card, Armed Citizens, could win you 150 Gran and 2 cards of CSquared's choice. If you have a good File, send it to logress@alteil.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it . That is all.
Logress

Postby Peralisc2 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:46 am

Should i resend it to your mail adress? :P
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Logress » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:01 am

No, I got it!
Logress

Postby Logress » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:59 pm

For those of you interested in winning prizes for submitting Card combos and File ideas, today I'd like to remind you that the Across the Spectrum contest is due one week from today, and the Challenge of the Fortnight 4: Armed Citizens contest is due this Wednesday. Good luck!
Logress

Return to Crest Courtyard