What does it mean to be World Champion?

Ongoing Promotions and Events

Re: What does it mean to be World Champion?

Postby asxlen64 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:01 am

GonFreeces31 wrote:I'm not sure they understand how to play the game.

yes they do gon, not only do they face more opponents, have 3x more cards, and deal with so many events, that it has become that WE dont know how to play the game. quite frankly its poor sportsmanship to diss somebody who work very hard to win the championship title.
NitroDino : the thing I don't like about blacksun type players is the only thing they want is to win.
Thank mitsu for this sig.
SMILE/IVEY: ふふふ、笑わせるわね。君じゃ、私を雇うなんて100年以上は甘いわヨ
asxlen64

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:33 am

But when I saw the champ from last year play, and when I talked to other veterans like frozenstar about him, it just looked like he didn't really know how to play. I wasn't the only one with that opinion.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Shirozaki » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:45 am

Yeah, it's not like he played an entirely different game in a different language.
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" - Inscription above the gates of Alteil
Romdeau wrote:I don't have much else to say to you other than you live in your own world if you believe I have active enemies around Alteil besides from Demongod.
Shirozaki

Postby Romdeau » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Shirozaki wrote:Yeah, it's not like he played an entirely different game in a different language.

He had 3 months and a translated card list to help. I'm not saying that was enough, but it's not like he was walking around in the dark.
Romdeau

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:48 pm

I am maintaining my "Japanese players don't know how to play" stance until proven otherwise. The last thing I heard from any of them is that one of their "genius" players made the EM meta file on sale and that crap was a 1600RP file at best.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby 2xDouble30 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:01 pm

Different players, different plays; the Japanese are probably just used to styles that are effective in their own home server.
ImageImageImage
2xDouble30

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:14 pm

Well they are gonna have a chance to prove me (the hater) wrong.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Callonia » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:07 pm

Its a pity, i would love to have the treatment that jp champions get, they get translated cards from alteil us here, How come they don't translate the cards for us in alteil 2 :D

Do it jp.
Callonia

Postby Scientiafide » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Now guys, gon's obviously trolling. He doesn't really believe all japanese people are incapable of playing a card game. That'd make him a bigot.

But as to the question of why their champion sucked so hard in the last championship... Well, I wasn't around to watch it, but I'm not surprised that major suck-age occurred on his end.

For one, from what I'm understanding, their champion doesn't have any motivation to do well in this tournament. He was being asked to play what is essentially the same card game for him, but with a drastically smaller and different card pool without any reward of any kind. Add to that the fact that the japanese champ is going to play against players who don't even speak his primary language (or what may be the only language he knows), and you have a recipe for an event anyone in his position wouldn't really care about.

From what I understand, they also have a much larger card pool, and even the older cards are completely different from the US variations at this point. That's why their champ has to take time to acclimate to this new card pool and meta (which is a process that I would hardly care about as it doesn't seem all that fun). Their meta also probably looks rather different from ours, and judging from the few alteil 2 cards I've seen their cards tend to be more powerful on average.

So you gotta ask yourself: if you were to be asked to take your own time to practice and play an older, worse version of a game you play, against people you can't even talk to without any reward of any kind, would you be up for the task? You probably wouldn't really care either.

Oh but wait, how could I forget? National pride is on the line! That throws everything I just said out the window. Go! Win a relatively unknown online card game! Win for your country! :lol:

Scientiafide

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:42 pm

It's more interesting when you make really bold statements. That creates drama, drama creates entertainment, entertainment creates viewers. I was trying to get skill7 to tell the JP guy that he wasn't worthy to compete for the thrown. Can you imagine the scene that woulda caused?

IRL I'm actually a really nice guy, but I do try to keep things interesting around here otherwise this place turns into a ghost town.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

PreviousNext

Return to Crest Courtyard