Challenge of the Fortnight: Battle Mage of Regus

Ongoing Promotions and Events

Postby Csquared » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:13 pm

(For the period of 01/29/09 - 02/11/09)

Since the number of fortnight challenges are getting higher, it's about time we changed the heading accordingly so that they're more useful to all you participants out there. No more beating around the bush, so take a look at the header of this little article and let's get down to business. It was decided to use a card from the Wrath of the Four Gods card expansion since, well, the expansion is here and has been for about a month now. At the rate these fortnights go, we'll probably be at the seventh set before we can finish a round-robin with the spheres!

Battle Mage of Regus is honestly a card that more people should look at. A quick look at her stats (And yes, she's a girl, though it's tough to tell sometimes in the ambiguously androgynous world of Alteil) reveal a modest set of statistics, probably one that a more aggressive Iczer would overlook. After all, her HP is on the low side for what one would expect, but it's actually on par with a lot of her other level three brothers and sisters such as Lapierre, Lebeau, Defau, and Mystere. In any case, it's enough to keep her alive from pesky damage effects that would close less hardy support units. Her AT however, is on nearly the lowest side to date as no other level 3 Unit has an AT of 10. Sure, there are lycanthropes and proxies that start at 0, but they don't really count as they automatically buff themselves at some point in the game. Defense is nonexistent on the battle mage but that is to be expected. Her AGI and RNG of 4 is quite impressive though, as no other level 3 Unit can match that combination short of another CotF alumnus, Rapidshot Magic Archer. And I think we all know how useful she can be with that deadly combination.

Soul Skill–wise, Battle Mage of Regus is one of those types of cards that gives you 2 in one sphere and 1 in another. In this case, the two spheres are Falkow and Lawtia. Not a bad combination at all, but what really makes this unit is her Action Skill. Mana Blast is able to subtract 20 directly from the HP of three random enemy units for the low, low cost of 1 SP. Two key points that everyone should definitely keep in mind are the facts that this ability bypasses defense and is range-independent. Battle Mage of Regus can wipe out a slew of support units all on her own, from magic dolls to druids to great spirits. Even the dual terrors of the Folrart arenas, Red Phoenix - South / Snaf and Darkness Mirror / Aegis are not immune to her magic wrath. And neither one of these can do a single thing to stop her, because Mana Blast sucks a straight 20 HP from enemy units regardless of the BMoR's AT, and her AGI and RNG are of equal value as well, meaning Snaf's snapping of her range or agility is an exercise in futility. The Action Skill is range independent anyway, as I mentioned before, so nothing can stop this seasoned veteran of the battlefield.

Also worth mentioning is that our results for the previous Challenge of the Fortnight made the case for level 3 Unit cards of which this is one. She also happens to be a sorcerer in the Wizard Kingdom. Go figure. There's a lot of potential to be had, and the greatest difficulty one has is determining how to finish off any wounded Units that BMoR leaves in her wake. That's a tricky one all right. With all those swarm and rush Files out there in the battlefield these days though, one could do much worse than having a Battle Mage of Regus ready and waiting. We'll get back together in a fortnight to see what all you Iczers think of this seldom-used gem.
Take the Challenge of the Fortnight!
Win new cards as well as point cards!
Csquared

Re: Challenge of the Fortnight: Battle Mage of Regus

Postby exemplar » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:31 pm

Just a small detail but... the description for the Battle Mage of Regus avatar in the avatar shop describes it as "male". The avatar does look male as well, so I guess theres a discrepancy between the card and the avatar if the card actually depicts a female.
Character conversations on hiatus until I get my photobucket sorted out.

Blog on hiatus until I find a new hosting site.
exemplar

Postby Csquared » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:17 am

Oh, the gender confusion rears its ugly head again! I'm not sure which is exactly the right answer, but I'm inclined to believe the card list just by looking at the card art. I may be mistaken, but the avatar was also one of those that was introduced before the card was even released, so that may also be a cause for the discrepancy.
Csquared

Postby Logress » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:37 am

You think that's trouble, Enchanter is listed as a male card in the card list and the Japanese game, too. If you look closely you might think it's a pretty boy but we've got the full sized high rez art, and either Enchanter's female, or he's been doing some questionable chest enchantment.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Peralisc2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:53 am

I consider this card a really good card and even seen it used a quite a lot. So i wanted to say that your choice for the fortnight this time disapointed me because you took a good card and not a "hidden jewel" like you sometimes say.
Maybe this is a hint, but i dont give a damn, this reminds me of swan cavalier which is and was also a good card before and after it was in the challange.

The Hp -20 to 3 random enemy units is very useful and annoying and i see no reason not to use it and thats why i say you took the wrong card this time. >_>
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Csquared » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:11 am

Peralisc2 wrote:I consider this card a really good card and even seen it used a quite a lot. So i wanted to say that your choice for the fortnight this time disapointed me because you took a good card and not a "hidden jewel" like you sometimes say.

I think this just goes to show how much you are a veteran of the Challeges, Peralisc. Any old pro should look at the card and realize how good it is. But the same could be said about each and every one of the challenge cards. And as you said, Swan Cavalier was good before and after the challenge. Same goes for all the cards. The Challenge of the Fortnight also serves to spotlight underused cards too, and according to our records, the BMoR is definitely not used as often as you think it is.

Peralisc2 wrote:The Hp -20 to 3 random enemy units is very useful and annoying and i see no reason not to use it and thats why i say you took the wrong card this time. >_>

I think this might have just a little more to do with the fact that this card will wreck a certain strategy that a certain someone was using to dominate Folrart, wouldn't you agree? :lol:
Csquared

Postby Peralisc2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:43 am

No. I cant agree with that. Also it didnt work well vs me since players didnt use it right. >_>
I know 20 direct damage to 3 RANDOM units is probably little, but its actualy far better than some people would think.
Also the battle mage has 30 HP and is easier to keep alive than femiel, i know this again dosnt sound much to most players.
But the skill costs 1 SP, and damn she also has 4 AGI so i call her at least decent.

The units/SS that deal 30 damage will be able to take down the 50 HP tankers she wounded.
This card does -20 HP for 1 SP at any time of the day and also acts faster than most units.

I am not trying make her look stronger than she is, but she has great potential. You need a bit of timing and she will work more than just fine. And she is slightly above the decent cards imo : sea hunter, magic scythe ...
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Logress » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:04 am

Keep in mind that the contestants have to be able to create Card Files where we can't just switch the Battle Mage out with the Wind Sorceress (who has very similar stats and abilities plus a friendly field buff) and make it better. I recommend everyone consider this, or at least address the Battle Mage's advantages briefly in your strategies.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Csquared » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:23 am

Peralisc2 wrote:No. I cant agree with that. Also it didnt work well vs me since players didnt use it right.
I am not trying make her look stronger than she is, but she has great potential.

Whether you agree or disagree, I think you just proved the point that she has a place in Challenge of the Fortnight.
Csquared

Postby Musca » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Logress wrote:Keep in mind that the contestants have to be able to create Card Files where we can't just switch the Battle Mage out with the Wind Sorceress (who has very similar stats and abilities plus a friendly field buff) and make it better. I recommend everyone consider this, or at least address the Battle Mage's advantages briefly in your strategies.

Actually, I like using battle mage in conjunction with wind sorceress. Toss in a mage knight and you get -40 to most if not all of your opponent's field before they even have the chance to move. Clearing most of your opponent's field every turn with only three cards out is fun... :twisted:
Musca

Next

Return to Crest Courtyard