CotF: Crest Paladin

Ongoing Promotions and Events

CotF: Crest Paladin

Postby Csquared » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:33 pm

(For the period of 03/12/09 - 03/25/09)

All right, Iczers, it's time to do some Filebuilding! The sphere wheel now spins to the darker side of Lavato, and as you can see by the title of this post, the Crest Paladin has stepped forward to befriend you in this most opportune time! After all, what better way to kick off a new EX pack than to introduce a CotF card that works quite nicely with the Lawtia EX cards. Why, many Iczers might even just forget completely about the EX cards and realize how amazing the Crest Paladin is all on its own! I am of course kidding. Please don't forget about the EX cards. And yes, the Crest Paladin is amazing.

Let's get down to the nitty-gritty. Like many CotF cards, the Crest Paladin was often overlooked due to its poor statistics. After all, its 50 HP, 3 AGI, and 1 RNG are all decidedly par for the course in most level 3 Lawtia Units. He also starts with 0 AT and 0 DF, much like many of its fellow Lawtia lycanthropes, but without an upside at night. And while he does have a Start Skill that gives +20 AT to all Units with a subtype of Duchy of Crest, only 6 other cards were of that particular subtype, somewhat limiting his potential. Sure, the Crest Paladin gets that bonus as well, but a 20 AT Unit with 50 HP is a little on the low side of what most Iczers are probably expecting. And his Slash Action Skill may also be considered a bit lacking since it'll only be for 20 damage and the paladin has to be in the front row to do it.

Well, that's not exactly what I see. And regular readers of these CotF columns shouldn't see that either. This knight has some great potential and the majority of it doesn't necessarily come from what most Iczers will likely focus on, his Duchy of Crest-buffing Unholy Sword Start Skill. For one thing, having 0 AT at the beginning of a round can be quite an advantage in some cases, especially when dealing with AT lowering effects such as the Holy Dragon or Black Hound. AT can't go below 0, so you effectively lose nothing. Lastly, having a Slash Action Skill is a relatively rare thing for any unit, much less a level 3 one. Samurai Girl, Killing Machine / LeBeau, and Saber Saint / Lapierre are the only 3 I know of off the top of my head, and none of them have as much HP as the Crest Paladin.

Ultimately, the Crest Paladin is a darn versatile Unit, hands down. He's almost a one-man army in the right File, and he can serve multiple purposes. Loading up with Duchy of Crest Units is of course a no-brainer. It isn't absolutely necessary, but it also doesn't hurt to get some synergy in matches. Surprisingly, Lawtia units have an almost un-Lawtia-like design to them as you would think they'd normally be the type to act alone. But with the inclusion of the Crest Paladin to the game, Lawtia can get some insane Refess-type buffing going on, and quite easily too.

Hint: if the name of the card has the word "Crest" in it, chances are it's of the Duchy of Crest subtype. Just to make it easier, the following cards are Duchy of Crest Units or Characters:

Ruler of Crest / Eskatia
Abyss Centaur / Dical
Elite Crest Knight
Crest Regenerator Knight
Crest Mindsoldier
Crest Paladin
Crest Halberd Soldier
Black Valkyrie / Igina
EX: Dance Macabre / Lelein

There's a lot of potential to be had there. All of those Units and Characters can definitely benefit from the additional 20 AT, but certain combinations will of course work better than others. There are no wrong answers here, and definitely a few combinations that some might not realize are powerful alternatives to existing strategies. What could that mean? Take a walk on the dark side and see for yourself.
Take the Challenge of the Fortnight!
Win new cards as well as point cards!
Csquared

Re: CotF: Crest Paladin

Postby darklogos » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:34 pm

My only question is why crest paly now? He is getting lots of play now because there is a card that suits him well to buff. Why not giant tortoise?
darklogos

Postby Gota » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:06 am

Make ppl buy EX3 :P
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby Peralisc2 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:52 pm

Giant turtle is also very useful. Well anyways those arent cards suited for CotF, unless CotF needs a change. :/
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby MyPixelGirl » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:57 pm

cards i want to see cotf with:

pirate king
retear
leviation
phoenix/snarf
the ex card that moves cards randomly
MyPixelGirl

Postby darklogos » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:41 pm

MyPixelGirl wrote:cards i want to see cotf with:

pirate king
retear
leviation
phoenix/snarf
the ex card that moves cards randomly

Levithan was a top deck for a bit. He got a lot of play when the set moved out. He is not a bottom rung card. Retear has his uses as well. He is instant revival in his opener. Snaf... lets not go there. Space Manipulator is a good choice.
darklogos

Postby Logress » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Every now and then Retear finds his way into a top deck, although generally for the combo of a revival that works on any level card with a decent unit on the field the next turn, and not for his cemetery-clearing ability. As for EX Cards, we try to avoid them since less can participate easily, although Velvet was sort of made for the challenge. (But I did make a variant of the winning deck from that challenge for Lupos, and he had a respectable win record for it in Folrart before he got bored.)
Anyway, we picked the Paladin, because at the time, almost no one was using him but he was an obvious combo with upcoming EX cards. So, he'd give people more reasons to experiment with EX cards and we were also hoping that people would try to find other good combos with him, too. After all, a deck that brings out him and the Black Valkyrie and then buffs BV with something else isn't going to stand out. The more comboing you do with the key card the better, so someone's going to have to come up with some good non-EX strategies for him.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Pancakes » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:44 pm

My favorite card in the whole game is that zombie king card. Man he is awesome!
I can only use Bringer, BKR Jack, and returns cuz I'm a free player. It's my best shot at winning!
Pancakes

Postby Romdeau » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:17 pm

Regarding that annoying card, all I have to say is Wrath shall not last long.
Romdeau

Return to Crest Courtyard