FUN IN THE SUN

Ongoing Promotions and Events

Re: FUN IN THE SUN

Postby DanTheTimid » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:03 pm

I'd argue that if your still running a dispell in every card file you make just to deal with Killing Machine that Killing Machine is still dictating how card files are made and thus the tournament is still, even to a small degree, revolving around Killing Machine. The difference from normal play is that everyone has access to answers to Killing Machine and that Killing Machine itself is limited to 1 per deck so you know for sure once you deal with it the first time you won't have to deal with it again.

In my play so far I actually saw more Refess then I normally do in the normal rooms, its definitely not overly common but it was showing up about once every 4 games which is on average how every clan should be. I have yet to see a good Refess, every refess I ran into I easily walked over so far, but as natural Refess player it was definitely nice to finally be on the giving end of the Refess beating for a change (actually I don't believe I've ever actually lost to a refess deck even with my refess deck, including in both closed and open beta so technically I have been giving other refess beatings too but its not the same when I'm also using refess).

I may try them out myself just to see if with all the rarest cards at my disposal I can keep up with the other clans, but the only card that really looks that interesting to me I don't normally have access to is Dragon Rider and I had several of those during closed beta (*sheds a tear for his lost dragon riders, stupid pointless server wipe*) so I've already had some experience with Dragon Riders tricks.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby shyster » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:13 pm

I will not say that I am not still seeing lebeau, however he is quickly dissipitating in number of people using him. However I believe that running a dispel, even though I do not run one, could still be beneficial.

Even if people have stopped using lebeau I have seen other numerous strategies for defense boosting, and a dispel could still end up being a crucial card if you find yourself in such a situation.
shyster

Postby arfort » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:09 am

I finished 4th and did not run Lebeau. I did however run 2 Dispels.
arfort

Postby Lampshade » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:14 pm

I do hope there are more "tournament" like tournaments in future (i.e. randomly drawn against someone else in a knockout fashion, or even a league with a set number of battles everyone plays) and less star based ones, because to be honest the star system is no different to the weekly rankings... i.e. the people who have time to spend all day every day online fighting other people get the most stars, and the people that only have time for a few fights a day (no matter how good they are) have no chance of winning because they just don't have the time to do 100's of fights.

A tournament with a set number of fights for each person would be far fairer.
;a38
Lampshade

Postby arfort » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:32 pm

I agree as well. But considering I started playing this game with the tournament, 71 wins, 10 losses with a highest streak of 20 at the end does show that there's some skill involved with the winners. The one that broke my streak of 20 had similar stats, with only a few more matches played, one more win and two less losses than me. If I had been playing the game for longer I'd probably have had 5 less early losses at least. Even with 71/10/0, that's a 87.6% win ratio. Let's say this was a standard MTG, WoW, L5R, etc big tourny with let's say 7 rounds that's finishing with about 6-1-0 so usually in the finals. Just saying, I'm pretty sure nobody with a win ratio under 85% finished in the top. I'm just happy I at least finished high enough to have my name in the tops even if the prizes were for 1st-3rd place. I look forward to any future tournament. Maybe something that would work for big multi-day tournament like this one would be a system like MTG online's league. First 5 games count for your score, after that it's a system pretty much exactly like the star system for the tie breaker. That system still forces people that go 5-0 to play a lot of game to finish 1st or at least very high (with a tournament with 400 participant, around 12 players will finish with 5-0). So basically somebody that only has time for 5 games and that goes 5-0 will finish around 12nd place, higher than somebody who goes 4-1 and then play 100 battles for a whole lot of stars.
arfort

Previous

Return to Crest Courtyard