FUN IN THE SUN

Ongoing Promotions and Events

Re: FUN IN THE SUN

Postby Logress » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:42 pm

Let me give you a little more info on the way this tournament works. This is an automatic tournament, which differs from an elimination tournament in that it's entirely run by the computer. During those three days, you can click on the tournament button under the Game Tab and go to the Tournament Lobby. This is like an extra Arena anyone can go in. In this arena, there is an Edit Card File button, that will bring you to a Card File, not your own, but one that has 3 of every card in the game. You can only build one deck at a time, but you can change it completely between battles if you like (even so far as changing Spheres completely). As you play in this arena, the computer keeps track of your progress and reports to us each day how people are doing.

Since we want people to just play and experiment as much as you want, we decided not to do a win % based tournament. Basically, that'd make it in someone's best interest to stop playing if they had a good streak going. Instead, we're trying out what the Japanese call a "Star Tournament." Everyone's been properly programed to collect Stars thanks to Mario Galaxy, so it should be very natural. Seriously, it's pretty simple. You start out with 5 stars. If you beat someone, you take one of their stars. If you have the most stars at the end, you win.

Because it's computer controlled, you can go in and fight any time, so there's no huge rush. Starting after midnight on Sunday, you can sign up and start experimenting with your deck.

Oh, and some of you have probably noticed that the Seasonal cards are not listed as prizes. We consulted with the Japanese, and figured that they would not make great prizes for a few reasons. One is that only the top players would have them (and they already will probably have a bunch of cards that starting players won't have) so the coolness factor of seeing one in the off season would go down a bit. We'll come up with a way to more evenly distribute them.

By the way, if you already have your avatar prize, I'll come up with a few comparable prizes for you to choose from.

We're not exactly sure how this tournament type will be received, so we're looking for comments after you all have tried it out. I prefer the elimination style setup myself, but that's more suited to live events.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby shyster » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:31 am

Great reply, now for my cross examination.

You say a star tournament, which means automatic disqualification if you lose all five stars? Or is is possible that you can play people who also have no stars, and upon winning get a single star generated by the computer?

For this tournament only, since we have free range of cards to choose from as well as being able to build our decks, is there any option for people to view games in progress? If it is not already set up it seems unlikely to be implemented in two days, over a weekend no less, but it would be nice, for people to be able to see other styles of play, that they might not think of, or to watch the people who have numerous stars and see what they are doing right.

By the way, why have the first tournament during the week? Of course this question does assume that you can keep playing if you lose all your stars just to test decks out. I would think for most playability and chance to experience the most of decks, you would have made it a weekend tournament.

You also mentioned that each day the winning tallies would be kept, does that mean they will be posted somewhere for us to see as well, and is there some prize each day or just for the end of the third day?

In regards to the seasonal cards, if we have picked them out either during our leveling up, or have won them in a treasure battle, will we get to keep them after the season or will they revert to normal images? That has not really be made all that clear, although I would guess that they will probably revert back.

Finally I have not played Mario Galaxy so I have no idea what role stars play in that game, but I have seen Kaiji and do understand it from the rules of Restricted Janken.

Lastly thanks for the great reply with all the information; please keep it up, and will we see you or any of the other main people in the tourney? It seems like a great chance for us to face each other on relatively "equal" terms, at least in regards to having free choice of cards.
shyster

Postby dobaer » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:11 pm

Yeah, what he said -- Logress, Thank you for the detailed and informative reply!
dobaer

Postby ManiacalSoul » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:21 am

Where would the signup be?
ManiacalSoul

Postby shyster » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:54 am

Logress wrote:During those three days, you can click on the tournament button under the Game Tab and go to the Tournament Lobby. This is like an extra Arena anyone can go in. In this arena, there is an Edit Card File button, that will bring you to a Card File, not your own, but one that has 3 of every card in the game. You can only build one deck at a time, but you can change it completely between battles if you like (even so far as changing Spheres completely).

I believe this is the answer to your question. Since this is a free tournament, you do not need to sign up. All accounts are probably automatically entered as "eligible" but do not actually get anything set to them until they officially create a deck and start playing for stars. Of course this is just speculation on my part as there has been no official or detailed word yet.
shyster

Postby ManiacalSoul » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:20 am

Logress wrote:Because it's computer controlled, you can go in and fight any time, so there's no huge rush. Starting after midnight on Sunday, you can sign up and start experimenting with your deck.

This leads me to believe there is some place I have to sign up the day before.
ManiacalSoul

Postby Sasuraiger » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:51 pm

Logress wrote: You start out with 5 stars. If you beat someone, you take one of their stars. If you have the most stars at the end, you win.

oh my god do they cut off my fingers if i lose
Sasuraiger

Postby AnnaTheRed » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:43 pm

Where can I sign up for the tournament??
During those three days, you can click on the tournament button under the Game Tab and go to the Tournament Lobby.
1. Go to Game main tab
2. Click "Tournament" on Game main tab (This will take you to Tournament Lobby)
4. Click on "Fun in the Sun" tournament to see the details in the tournament list on the left side of Tournament Lobby page.
5. Click "Enter" to enter the tournament!
6. To start a battle in a tournament, click "Battle Start" on the top of the middle column on Tournament Lobby.

When do I have to sign up for the tournament??
You can sign up for the tournament anytime starting Sunday evening (tonight!) midnight EST (which is August 4th Monday at 0:00 AM EST).
So in short, you don't have to sign up in advance!
"Tournament period" IS "the period you can sign up for the tournament"
You can even sign up for the tournament on August 6th if you want.

shyster wrote:All accounts are probably automatically entered as "eligible" but do not actually get anything set to them until they officially create a deck and start playing for stars.

Close. All accounts are eligible to enter this tournament, BUT, you still have to go to Tournament Lobby page to enter & duel for the tournament.

Can we edit our card file during the tournament? - Yep

Can we change colors during the tournament? - Yep

Are there tournaments each day with set times? - Nope. You can just play for the tournament anytime during the period. But remember, you have to duel by clicking "Battle Start" in Tournament Lobby, not in Crest or Folrart or Training arena!

Do we get random opponents or assigned opponents? - Random

If you lose all five stars, are you disqualified? - Yep and Nope. You can't fight without star. All you can do is to re-enter the tournament. (Your battle record or the tournament will be wiped once you lose all your stars)

Can you gain stars after losing them all? - Nope. (You can purchase stars for some tournaments for a fee, but not this one)

Can we view matches? - Nope.

Why is the tournament during the week? - We're testing out this system, and we'll have to monitor how it goes during our work hours.

Will the rankings after each day be posted? - Nope. Tournament ranking/result will be posted after the tournament is finished.

Is there a prize for each day or just at the end? - Just at the end.

Phew,,, did I answer all your questions?
If not, just keep posting your question about the tournament.
I'll be online checking the forum every 5 minutes so that people will understand and have fun at this tournament!

REMEMBER, you'll have 3 of each card in the game.
Don't waste this opportunity by using the same ol' file you always use. (or having 2~3 of a certain card as SS... getting old anyway :P)
Try a completely different color cards! Use those rarity 5 cards you've been dreaming to have!

JUST HAVE FUN!!

AnnaTheRed
;a40
AnnaTheRed

Postby ManiacalSoul » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:09 pm

Thanks, that was an informative reply.
ManiacalSoul

Postby ManiacalSoul » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:20 am

I've just picked my sealed card file and am making my deck and have noticed something. There's 3 of every card... except for Lebeau. Is it deliberate limitation of allowing only 1 lebeau? Just asking to make sure.
ManiacalSoul

PreviousNext

Return to Crest Courtyard