Future Cons & Events Idea

Ongoing Promotions and Events

Future Cons & Events Idea

Postby Thespi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:54 pm

I just had a little thought, especially since it seems one of our esteemed GMs managed to hurt herself while at a Con...

For those of us who really enjoy the game, and enjoy helping newbies learn... Would it be possible for us to volunteer, if there is a Con near where we live/are, or are going to attend?

I would recommend a few parameters to being able to volunteer, such as being at a certain level and or time (when registered/started playing) on board; also maybe including some particaption here in the forums, too.
Maybe even taking a small quiz, just to make sure we have the basics down well enough to help others.

I would do it just for the fun of playing and helping others, but maybe there could be some small incentive, like special Altiel merchandise (like a fun t-shirt) that could only be earned by volunteering (but doesn't affect ;a18 playing).

Having been a Staff member for a Con, I know how busy the day(s) can be and this idea could give you the break to actually eat and get a bit of fresh air (or supplies or do whatever might need to be done or fixed). This would allow you to meet some of us, "experienced" Iczers that are scattered around the country and we can meet our esteemed GMs!

It's a win-win idea.... Volunteers=cheap labor *LOL* With more "People hours", more people taught the game, more people taught the game, more people registering online for the game, more registering means more people playing the game, more.... yep, a WIN! :mrgreen:

Just a thought from an Iczer on the West Coast!

;a40 ;a41
"A Lady should be more elegant," - Lumiere (Kiddy Grade)
Thespi

Re: Future Cons & Events Idea

Postby lupos » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:03 pm

Absoluely a possibility. We have discussed this but the logistics of planning and relying on a relative stranger is kind of tough. We have actually had some people who signed up during the cons volunteer for the same con the following year while still there. I like the idea of a test, most likely have them play against a GM just to assess their skills, but things like personality and hygiene are unfortunately also important in this sort of thing. :P

Also usually by the last day of a con we have a few new iczers who just want to play so we let them hang out and they teach new people. No prizes per se yet, but its still fun. :P

We are going to PAX next weekend of course so if anyone who already plays wants to drop by and play a few rounds and maybe teach a few new recruits we certainly aren't against it and appreciate the help. Stop by and say hi, we're friendly. ;)
lupos
Site Admin

Postby AnnaTheRed » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:13 pm

This would help us a LOT if we could get Iczers helping us!

Don't get me wrong, I love talking to people, teaching them how to play, but standing on my feet for 8~10 hours straight without a break, eating lunch while teaching, and rushing to the bathroom and back to our booth... Doing this for 3~4 days (not to mention setting up the booth, and taking it down) can be,,, um, pretty exhausting.

And just like Lupos pointed out, personality is probably the most important part of this kind of job. (hygiene, too, of course)
Some people might want to walk away during a duel, some might just not get how the game works, some aren't interested in the game at all and just there to kill some time, etc... we get all sorts of people, but we treat each one of them equally.

So for now, if you're already an Iczer and can stop by at our booth and play a duel or two, PLEASE feel free to do so!
At Gencon, we had a couple of people came to our booth to play (using their own account and card file) on the 3rd day and the 4th day, that was a HUGE help. :)
No prize for helping us by playing the game at the booth at this point, but once we get our merchandise made, maybe we can give away some goodies...

Hope to see some Iczers at conventions!

AnnaTheRed
;a40
AnnaTheRed

Postby Justice » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:18 pm

I'll be at PAX, will try and drop by. I'm a pretty mediocre player though. :lol:
Stay frosty and shoot for the moon!
Justice

Postby lupos » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:28 pm

Long as you can explain the starter file strategies we'd greatly appreciate any help. Especially around lunch time.

Maybe get a free lunch out of the deal! ;)
lupos
Site Admin

Postby Thespi » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:59 pm

Cool! I thought you'd like the idea! :D

I do understand about personality and hygiene! (I'm all for cleanliness myself!) I would hope wanting to actually volunteer would be part of the personality of the Iczer that would be helpful in being able to teach the game.

When ever you get over to the West Coast, specifically in Northern California, let me know! I'd love to help y'all out, both with the game and around the area if possible! 8-) 8-)

;a40 ;a41
"A Lady should be more elegant," - Lumiere (Kiddy Grade)
Thespi

Postby lupos » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:41 am

Unless we decide to exhibit at GDC, which is not exactly our target market, I don't know that "We" will be in your neighborhood any time soon. "I" however go to GDC every year, so I'll at least be in town some time next year, though I'm thankfully booked up pretty well with free press parties while I'm there usually. God bless press passes. :-D
lupos
Site Admin

Postby arfort » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:26 am

What about Anime North? Biggest anime con in Canada, c'mon!
arfort

Postby lupos » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:30 am

You volunteering?

We may expand our con tour a great deal next year, or we may decide it isn't worth it and just do more advertising online. Not sure yet. Still need to see how things unfold. Though if we do add stops it will most likely be things like "origins" and more gamer centric conventions. Specially if we can sort out the planning and running of real life tournaments by then.
lupos
Site Admin

Postby arfort » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:24 am

Sure am. Anime North is in Toronto in May each year. You guys will probably be sick of cons by then if you're not already.
arfort

Next

Return to Crest Courtyard