New Promo event... Missions!

Ongoing Promotions and Events

New Promo event... Missions!

Postby Logress » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:26 am

Mission Events are a new type of promo we're trying out. Our first one, titled "Treasure in the Ruins" Will be from August 27th through September 3rd. During this time each and every Iczer that duels in either Folrart or Crest will get a bonus to the chance of getting a Treasure Battle. If they do get one, they'll get a bonus to their chance for a higher rarity card. I figure this should keep the Arenas full pretty effectively. No one should have much trouble finding a wide variety of opponents.
Why mission events? Well, it's kind of an experiment. Many people have noticed that the arenas have plenty of opponents right after cons and during some events. Often between events, the average number of Iczers dueling at one time drops back down to normal. However, checking out the computer reports, I see that our total number of active users keeps going up, and the total number of Iczers that log in each day keeps going up, even between events. So, it looks like we're getting the quantities we need, we're just going to give everyone some extra incentive to get into the Arena and put some battles under their belt, and see what happens.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Re: New Promo event... Missions!

Postby teasel » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:50 am

eeehhhh i don't know... increased chance of treasure battle isn't something you can really see (unless it's a really big increase) i don't really care about increased rarity since i'm still missing a lot of basic common stuff and this idea is still useless for people who lose a lot
teasel

Postby slashzero » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:54 am

So why exactly the term "Mission", we're not given any objectives or anything. =o
slashzero

Postby lupos » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:27 am

Your mission: Play more.
If you succeed?: Get stuff!

That's the idea anyway. Why is everyone so down on naming things with flair? :/
This is what the Japanese call it, roughly translated, I think... Anna?
lupos
Site Admin

Postby teasel » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:35 am

move to the nearest ruin you can find and play from there... problem solved
teasel

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:54 am

Its cool to have events like this, very cool, but I'd be lying if I said I was excited in anticipation for increased players. In the end its another event that only rewards winners, and that's the main reason people aren't playing, cause their not winning and mirage master is their only way to get new cards with out winning (or spending money). We'll see though, if the increase in the odds of getting a treasure battle is significant enough it might still draw in some players who are hopeful that their rare win comes in a treasure battle.

Regardless, the top players have to be licking their lips over this one, its a chance for them to get even more ridiculously wealthy and come even closer to finishing off their set 1 collections in time for set 2s release.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Logress » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:50 pm

It does reward winners, in the sense that you have to win the duel to get the card. However, it favors winners less then the normal system. As everyone has noticed, a big winning streak ends in almost guaranteed treasure battles. A bonus to the chance to get a treasure battles won't affect the odds much for people who already have a streak. The bonus will have a bigger statistical effect on those who streak the least on average.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby AnnaTheRed » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:51 pm

lupos wrote:Your mission: Play more.

Can't be explained better than this.
They actually called some other event a "mission event", but we kinda liked the idea of "your mission is to play more!!!"
This game is from Japan, and we aren't going to hide it. :P
If Japanese Alteil had an event called "hotchkiss", we might call it "hotchkiss"!

AnnaTheRed
;a40
AnnaTheRed

Postby DWildstar » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:01 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:In the end it's another event that only rewards winners, and that's the main reason people aren't playing, cause they're not winning and Mirage Master is their only way to get new cards without winning (or spending money).

People aren't playing? Last I checked Folrart has been steadily gaining new players. When I check early in the morning the player numbers are actually around 50/50 between Crest and Folrart (changes later in the day obviously) I've seen you discuss how Alteil rewards only people who win a lot before, but what do you believe the solution is? You want to reward people who are losing?

I gather from your previous posts that you think treasure battles should be more frequent for people who are losing, but where do you draw the line? I think it's a good system to reward people who are doing well, but if treasure battles are going to be fairly frequent for people on a losing streak what's to stop them from giving up every time they see it's not a treasure battle? Also I've seen it suggested that winners and losers win Gran for duels? The same thing could happen where people would get into a match, and just give up to get their bit of Gran then repeat.
DWildstar

Postby Wisp » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:19 pm

And then you have new people who just reached lvl 10 and suddenly finds all their old strategies that worked don't any more... like me! xD

So, while I'm stoked about an event, it does depress me that most likely I'm just gonna be giving others an easy win - I'm still gonna try! ...but I feel the odds are stacked against me suddenly. *sigh* Almost makes me want to lose 9 levels! lol

Yeah, I know... I just had to play Refress. :P

On with the Missions!
Wisp

Next

Return to Crest Courtyard