Summer Champ Questions

Ongoing Promotions and Events

Re: Summer Champ Questions

Postby Candi » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:45 pm

Wisp wrote:It's kinda sad to see such a small turnout... but can't say I'm suprised.

There was 52 or so registrants, but only 27 actually finished 10 battles and got ranked. SO the turnout wasn't terrible, just people never finished up getting ranked for one reason or the other.

It was actually very fun to play a sealed tournament, and was worth all 2.50$. It was great having to use a dual sphere deck and play up against other dual spheres, you could never count on what you were going to come up against.
Candi

Postby Phades » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:57 pm

Candi wrote:There was 52 or so registrants, but only 27 actually finished 10 battles and got ranked.
I would say that this is the most telling of how "successful" the tournament was. They probably need to wait a little longer before running another tournament structure of this nature and build up their player base more in order to actually have enough people able to actually finish properly.

*edit*

Personally i think the setup they used is a good way to use for general ranking to qualify for "finals" where they matches would be seeded and paired prior to the actual final placings are determined. Have all "finalists" qualify for prizes and they play among each other for how good their prizes are. Aside from that, sealed deck is always iffy, and if people don't like their draw, they tend to simply drop out.
Phades

Postby Wisp » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:21 pm

I'm also wondering if that 52 included people who withdrew from the Tournament for whatever reason?
Wisp

Postby Candi » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:36 pm

Wisp wrote:I'm also wondering if that 52 included people who withdrew from the Tournament for whatever reason?

I don't believe so, withdrawal took you off the registered list I think.
Candi

Postby LegendsEnd » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:45 pm

I was in the tournament, but I played two games resulting in a 1/1 record and stopped. First and second were both %100 so I thought it pointless to waste time and try since I could no longer get that ratio. I'm not sure if it's right to call it a flaw in the format, but definitely does not create incentive to play more.
LegendsEnd

Postby Romdeau » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:51 pm

LegendsEnd wrote:I was in the tournament, but I played two games resulting in a 1/1 record and stopped. First and second were both %100 so I thought it pointless to waste time and try since I could no longer get that ratio. I'm not sure if it's right to call it a flaw in the format, but definitely does not create incentive to play more.

I'm not positive, but I believe AnnaTheRed said that if you play at least 5 games, you get 50 gran back. Don't quote me on that.
Romdeau

Postby Candi » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:13 pm

Proxy wrote:I'm not positive, but I believe AnnaTheRed said that if you play at least 5 games, you get 50 gran back. Don't quote me on that.

I will quote you because you are correct!
Candi

Postby ANIMEniac » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:18 pm

LegendsEnd wrote:I was in the tournament, but I played two games resulting in a 1/1 record and stopped. First and second were both %100 so I thought it pointless to waste time and try since I could no longer get that ratio. I'm not sure if it's right to call it a flaw in the format, but definitely does not create incentive to play more.

At 1/1, there is still a chance for 3rd or even 2nd since chances are high the top may run into each other (like it did in this one). Besides, you spent $3 for this, should make the most of it. At the very least play to get your 50 Gran or just place and maybe get 30th? XD
ANIMEniac

Postby slashzero » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:55 pm

You have to TRY to get 30th place. If you just play 10 games as best as you can, you won't ever get 30th with this few people.

Also, I had trouble even completing 5 games since there were never any opponents late at night, when I actually had time to play Alteil. Also, luck's a ****. One of the high-ranking duelers that I went up against had 2 Return Grimiores, 3 copies of just about all his units, and I lost because I had no good endgame cards and I only had two copies of the key unit in my strategy. Fun stuff. I was pretty satisfied with the strategy I came up with, otherwise. It was pretty interesting having to stare at all these single or double copies of cards and scrap together some sort of workable strategy from it, at the very least. (I still regret entering in it though, since I never even got my 50 gran, much less place in the tournament, despite my repeated attempts to play.)

Also that 10 turn requirement on the 5 games should be shortened a little, since it's possible to just trash someone in the first 9 turns and then they quit the match. I wasn't keeping track of the turn numbers, but something like that happened in one of my games.
slashzero

Postby Justice » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:58 pm

I agree about how hard it was to get matches like 1 day after the beginning. It seems like people get to a certain % and just sit on it and only play if someone moves above them. I can't really blame them for this strategy but it was sort of annoying trying to get to 10 total matches and waiting forever to get matches.

Not that it matters that much because I clearly have no idea how to build sealed. :lol:
Stay frosty and shoot for the moon!
Justice

PreviousNext

Return to Crest Courtyard