Challenge of the Fortnight 1 September 25 2008

Ongoing Promotions and Events

Challenge of the Fortnight 1 September 25 2008

Postby Logress » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:48 pm

Logress has asked me to write up a little something that will hopefully become a regular mini-event in the Alteil world. It will basically be an article that comes up every so often challenging our players, both new and old, to focus one of their files on a specific card, and to win with that file. Prizes will be given out to the best (according to our great wisdom – more on that below) Card File that uses the card in question.

Now, before you all go, "No sweat!" keep in mind that this is called a challenge for a reason. The cards I will be choosing won't be hidden gems like those found in Logress's Card of the Week. They will be true diamonds in the rough that will need more than a little polishing to discover their true beauty. As the unofficial mad scientist of the company, I am calling upon all Iczers to put aside effective (and to my mind, boring) strategies in favor of indirect and offbeat combination that will keep your opponents guessing till you miraculously pull off your well-deserved victory.

So without further ado, we will have two cards this time to kick off the challenge. The two cards are: Rapidshot Magic Archer and Ignition Ignition. Both are low-rarity cards that are probably already sticking around in your libraries. If not, they should be within reach for most players.

The Rapidshot Magic Archer has usually been derided for its low amount of HP and supposedly worthless ability to do [damage = 50% of AT] to two random enemy units within range for the costly sum of 1 SP. It's actually the subject of a fairly long thread in the forums against it, and not only is it one of Alteil's most iconic images (being right there on the main Alteil front page half the time as of this writing), it is also the inspiration behind this challenge.

As for Ignition, at first glance, it seems to be your everyday suicide card. After all, it adds your own max HP to your target unit's AT and then reduces that unit's HP to 10. Sure it can be useful in some situations, but for the most part, it's asking for the quick death of your poor unit. But I think there must be more uses for it than that, especially for spheres with higher-than-average HP and lower-than-average AT. I wonder if there's such a sphere around?

And should anyone dare to consider combining these two cards together, it might just make the world shudder in terror of your mad brilliance. Or something. Whatever the case may be, we will definitely take notice of that, and we may even throw in an extra prize for the most ingenious among you.

To qualify, you must submit a list of cards in your fantasy File and a description of your strategy and how the cards in question are vital. You do not actually have to own all the cards in this File to come up with a strategy, although there may be a fatal flaw in your plans you won’t realize unless you try it out (you can always ask another Iczer to try out for you). If you actually have all these cards, you can also submit the name of your File and the account name, and we’ll check its win record and contents. Remember, if you tweak your File you’ll ruin your win record. Email the submission to Logress@alteil.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it by Friday, October 10th. You may be judged on your record to some extent, but mostly on the validity of your strategy. We may also take into account the level of opponents the File has defeated, or the results we get when we try out your File ourselves.

Prizes: This week the prize will be 150 Gran and two Rarity 2 cards of CSquared’s choice.

Till next time,

CSquared
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Re: Challenge of the Fortnight 1 September 25 2008

Postby teasel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:02 pm

*read titles*
"it's gonna be a refess card that's for sure"
*rapidshot archer*
"ahahahahahahahahahah"
well i like the idea but sadly i lack both ignition and rapidshot :/
EDIT: so just a general strategy is good to use too? then i'm definitely in
teasel

Postby Logress » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:14 pm

You don't need the cards to participate, although it might be difficult to imagine how the strategy will play out without testing it. You can always ask another Iczer to try something out for you, and we'll test everything out to make sure it works at the end.
Logress

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:23 pm

Cool idea, hopefully the best strats are published caused both of these cards REALLY need something going for them if their ever going to see play outside of the very small handful of people who are running them now more so just to be different then anything else.

Personally I have ideas for card files that could make good use of both cards... but I strongly question the success of said decks against most of the top card files right now so we shall see if through testing (either in game or on paper) I determine that any of my ideas are actually worth entering. All the more reason I hope to see some great strats from other people posted to show me what I'm missing.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby EvilGenius » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:27 pm

Any chance to use Rapidshot is welcomed. ;th2 One of my favorite Set 1 Refess cards.
EvilGenius

Postby Xovian » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:28 pm

Already sent mine, you can check my files to see it Logress.
It will be listed as "Challenge" in slot 1.

And yes, I use both of them. ;a33
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Postby Phades » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:47 pm

Well i can think of a card combination to complete that combo while not making it salamander bait... How much of a file are you needing exactly? After all this is really only a 2 card combo and most "standard" tactics would apply in deck construction. I am pretty sure most people have thought of it already, even logress since the mentioning of the "flaw" with it. Actually, i take it back, there are 2 different ones that "make sense" with this card and arguably one has nothing to do with ignition really.
Phades

Postby teasel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:59 pm

yeah actualy i was thinking that too... i mean there is not much sense in it if you just do a gowen deck which runs the usual runt and then just run the archer for the sake of doing it... i mean just to make an example... if you have to run ignition,you have to reach a 2 in gowen and if you have to reach then you might as well play blitz soldier instead of the refess grunt but then at that point you are just playing a variation of a normal gowen which splashes the rapidshot archer just for the sake of it
teasel

Postby Logress » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:01 pm

You don't have to use both. One or the other is fine. We'll give two prizes, one to the best of each. Of course, both would be impressive but I don't know how realistic that level of cross-coloring is.
Logress

Postby Xovian » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:06 pm

You can tell who hasnt played dual sphere before.
There is an effective way to do so, SS can be quite varied with it, but there are several ways to do that type of file.
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Next

Return to Crest Courtyard