The Best Deck Building Guide in the Universe

Game FAQ and Beginner's Corner

Re: The Best Deck Building Guide in the Universe

Postby winfrith279 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:44 am

unownshadow wrote:Hm... this was really helpful. It only seems that recently have I been able to correctly grasp the complexity of making files, but this really puts it into context.
I was wondering though, could you also put in some of your thoughts on multisphere-ing? I feel like that would change up your file a lot.
Personally, I've had some success with a rush multi-sphere file using EX: Wiz, annarose (Lawtia focued). I wish I had more copies of Kurina though.
With that, I'm pretty much can mass units and even if my opponent wipes out my field, I don't lose much SP since of all the free revives.
What do you think?

-unownshadow

That sounds difficult to make. Do you open with defective doll and gald ss? How do you handle cyclone?
The original pic was too big. °ᴥ°
winfrith279

Postby unownshadow » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Well, that is one of the weaknesses, but I try to set a lot of recyclable cards if they do try to cyclone like shades and rats. But I guess every file is going to have its weaknesses lol. Hm... I guess that is why fairies are one of the better rushes out there. Plus, I don't have many cards so it's hard lol. It would be interesting to see this turn into a 2/4 file or something though since the file focuses on saving SP on free revives and gaining depending on your SS.

Oh and I guess my opening set would be EX: wiz, shades, Annarose since I don't have Glad, and it focuses on level 2s and is 3 spheres max so it's a waste I feel.

-unownshadow
unownshadow

Postby GonFreeces31 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:42 pm

Okay a few things I'll be adding:
- general file composition rules (grims/units)
- more SS info, and SS coordination info
- probably an expanded bigs section

edit: I'm trying to fix some sections of this, add some stuff, and make it less confusing. Expect updates later.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby psylensse » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:21 am

printed out your guide today to read on the public transit ride home: TEN PAGES in Word! absolutely massive.....

I thought a bit about the whole process of deck building. For the absolute newest players, it's almost inevitable that deck building from scratch is going to be rough. from personal experience, from my youngling through my padawan stages (not sure where that cutoff was exactly, couple hundred games maybe? frankly I still think I'm in the midst of padawan-ness) deck building wasn't "building" so much as it was "take the starter and modify it". And while that doesn't sound like much, after numerous iterations it's evolved into it's own identity, although you can still see the traces of starter in there, certainly the *flavor* of the starter typically remains. Maybe for this tier of players, it would be highly useful to instruct us how to evolve our decks? maybe to even take a step back from there - how to use the starters? I know there are videos, but having someone spell it out alongside would be tremendously beneficial. I didn't understand that Monk was an endgame unit for Falkow until probably after I joined your guild, which is relatively recently. Technically that discussion probably belongs in its own thread since it's not "Deck building", but at the same time since this thread is for beginners too, I think that for beginners the concept of deck building is probably more accurately "Deck evolution", of which there are probably two levels - grand sweeping evolutions, and then tweaks.

Discussing how to build a deck and how to play a deck - related and different at the same time I think. At the earliest levels, it's like the suggestions you gave Malarious in his recent video replays. those aren't really issues of deck building, per se, but until you understand how to play decks how can you build them? related to the "how to use the starters" above. again, likely a separate thread which, btw, if it already exists I apologize - looked for it but couldn't find it.

onto Deck Building itself - a case study example of how a deck was built would be awesome. Where in the world did you start when you made Big Blue??? Even stuff like BKR/Jack that seems so commonplace now, where did that idea come from? any of the prebuilds or even starters, for that matter.

Related - when you build a file, you must inevitably conceive of an opponent or opponents that a file is catered towards beating. Who are these opponents? Do you think of Sea Serpents? Undeads? That seems too limited. Maybe you have a philosophical style that you envision as your opponent? Maybe the deck you are trying to build counters rushes, aggression, etc.? do you try and encompass as many as possible? Where are the limitations of what a file can counter? Rushes, Big Blue, GMB, these are all such wildly varying styles it seems, that no one file can possibly be catered towards all of them.

On my third or fourth read through, the section on opens really struck me, by the way. 1) it definitely seems that you have been playing long enough to know who opens what, and can adapt before turn one. this seems very valuable. 2) the examples were great. I used to auto-pilot this part of my game. Now I give it a lot more thought.

Hope these comments are helpful. More than any specific comment I made, I predominantly wanted to suggest that there needs to be some sort of intermediary bridge to better encapsulate the beginners. Possibly some comments on evolving your deck - how to identify weak spots in your file: is a card just not working at all in that file, or does it just need to be played better? are there cards you pretty much never access? etc. fairly basic stuff and probably somewhat tedious to write out, but useful. Looking forward to the next iteration of this guide, thanks for everything Gon!
Phellitiest (spambot) wrote:My personal relative delights in frogs.
psylensse

Postby Anima13 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:47 pm

I find the Guide reall nice. Also that you take a look on all the files form the sp management side, I find very inspiring.

psylensse wrote:Discussing how to build a deck and how to play a deck - related and different at the same time I think. At the earliest levels, it's like the suggestions you gave Malarious in his recent video replays. those aren't really issues of deck building, per se, but until you understand how to play decks how can you build them?

Something fitting to this:
I would find great If you could do something like a collection of common and uncommon tactics/concepts ppl utilise and maybe some comments tips to them. Because its no point creating an deck with a great sp management/flow If It has no clear concept (or could it?). There are so many different ways to play a game, and it is often viable to find out what the opponent wants, what the purpose of its game is.
simple send them all to cemetery, going for fieldadvantage/combo on the field, going for sp gain, card destruction and probably even more if we go in detailes.

Also just as a question to you do you belive it makes sense to create decks with more then just one purpose?
Anima13

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:53 pm

Okay I did some major edits to this thing!
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby psylensse » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:09 am

looks great! spirit section really expanded, glad to see wisp getting more love. Still wonder what sort of opponent(s) you plan for when building a deck. How many variations can you plan for? do you think, I'll put this card in here in case of low level rushes, this card in case of some high defense stuff I can't otherwise handle, etc. at the expense of your own synergy? do you lay out your core group of synergistic cards and then whatever is left over space-wise you fill in to plan for other contingencies? I find I try to get as much harmony between my key units as possible, and then utilize my grims to cover my butt. As an unfortunate result, I tend to run 5+ grims, often into 8 or 9 or maybe even 10, i lost count. 5 or so are core to the theme of the file, much in line with your suggestion. The rest are to "take care of business" my units can't take care of, more or less. I think if I were more experienced I could probably find (or own) the right units to cover these holes, instead of grims, but I'm not sure. what do you think?
Phellitiest (spambot) wrote:My personal relative delights in frogs.
psylensse

Postby GonFreeces31 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:15 am

No, just some files are really bad vs return, so add a fruit! Others are horrible vs bigs, so use a removal SS. Probably it's better to just make something, play it, then see what you're good against and what you're bad against, and adjust.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Romdeau » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:53 am

Well done Gon. I'm sure many people will benefit from your efforts.
Romdeau

Postby gadu » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:08 pm

Do you think that Afeema SS followed by Assassain SS is good? How about two Rasam SS in a non serpent file?
Abuser Punisher / Callonia
gadu

PreviousNext

Return to Lapierre Sensei's Classroom