Help me spend 6000 gran

Game FAQ and Beginner's Corner

Help me spend 6000 gran

Postby DarkenRahl » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:51 am

Hello all

I'm a brand new player.... I've played several other online card games but, this one is new to me.

This game seems pretty cool. It's cool enough that I was willing to pay $50 for just over 6000 gran. I bought the new player? pack and have the gowan starter. I've been able to build something that seems to work ok with that...

I just have no idea where to spend the rest of the gran... do I but pre-built decks or a box of cards... and from which of the 9!! sets...

My goal will be to turn that 6000 gran into something that can at least compete in Folwart(sp?).... I'm cool with any of the factions...

I probably won't be able to spend too much more $$.. so I need to get the best value that I can for that...

any ideas??

any help is appreciated...

DR
DarkenRahl

Re: Help me spend 6000 gran

Postby LoneKnight » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:01 am

From 6000, I'd probably buy the Complete EX9 Box (the one with the commons in it as well) or at least the commons pack ASAP. After that, probably buy one of the pre-builts (not the starters), they are all pretty good, except maybe the gowen one.

That's pretty much all your cash. If you have any left over (only bought the commons pack and 3 of one of the EXs for example) then start saving up for when there's going to be a good deal on.
LoneKnight

Postby gadu » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:01 am

TLDR:

1. Wait for Faction Packs
2. Buy Pre-built
3. Buy EX9
4. NEVER buy anything else besides these three things unless your RICH and enjoy burning money.

LONG VERSION:

I have to disagree with the venerable LoneKnight. If you buy the complete EX9 box, you will get stuff from every sphere, but you will probably only be able to make a file out of the Gowen starter you have. I would focus on one sphere.

I also think Pre-Built Power Files will help you much more than EX9 stuff (but I guess you could get both). Unfortunately, the price went up on them from 500 to 1500, but GM Satonoko (I think it was him) told me that they might be discounted again in the future (but don't count on it).

I'm still waiting for the day that Faction Packs return. I think they are the best purchases you can make for the value. You'll soon learn that patience is a virtue if you're going to be playing this game.

Finally, take things slowly. Make sure you really explore and find out that you REALLY like this game before investing tons of money (this means play a while in Folrart), or else you end up like all the others here in the dungeon of broken dreams. :shock:
Abuser Punisher / Callonia
gadu

Postby winfrith279 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:24 am

Definitely buy the 300 gran commons pack. If you don't need the cards you can always recycle them for the exact same price, and you don't need to waste point cards if you need them.
The original pic was too big. °ᴥ°
winfrith279

Postby Elliah » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:18 am

As a low spender, the first thing is to be patient, which can prove to be extremely hard.
Before spending and regretting, you have to first be much more familiar with the game, and also see if you have more affinity with one specific sphere. I thought refess was the more suitable sphere for me at first, but the file/sphere I play the most in the end was Gowen. It took me a few weeks to realize it however.

I would not recommend buying the EX box, because you won't have other cards to use most of them. In fact, even if you decide on one sphere, you might want to think twice before buying EX9 for that sphere. The common pack can be bought without thinking, since even if you don't like any of the cards, you can recycle them all and get away without any Gran loss.

Prebuilts offer good basis for competitive file. By competitive, I don't mean you will take first place easily, but you'll be able to aim for >50% of wins, and 1600+ rp at least. Some people manage to do much better than that with each prebuilt (yes even for Gowen, there's at least one player that is 1700+ rp with it as a main file). It is one of the cheapest and easiest way to get a good file. And for your information, Sea Serpent is the most popular prebuilt, and is maybe the one with the most potential (some people reach top rp spots with it). Provided you like playing the file, prebuilts are worth their Gran (although I think they should be more like 1 k Gran for new players).
But truthfully, even a gowen starter with beginner packs and a few cards here and there can give you a more than decent file. Experience is an important factor to be successful in all cases.

As for sets, it's hard to tell you to buy a specific one. There are not many files you can build with most cards from one set (there are some, like shrine knights (SK)), and in that regards, set 5 and 6 are probably the most interesting. But I think it's best that you become more picky and determine what play style fits you, and only then come back and ask again.

Lastly, know that there are promotional offers on a regular basis. There is no need to rush and spend all your Gran now, so you can save some and be happy if by any chance some good offer appears.
I decided to stop Alteil because it is no longer fun thanks to set 10 and what some people became; I gave my account so if you meet me it's not me.
Elliah

Postby psylensse » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:42 am

1) also skeptical about buying any Ex: cards - even if you buy the Gowen Ex:'s, you're several pixies short of a cardfile, ditto the martial artists. Unless any faction packs came out to bolster either theme, (since you're new, to explain - faction packs are like regular packs of 5 random cards, but it draws from a themed pool, so pixy faction packs would only contain pixies) I would say hold off?

2) i would say buy 2 pre-builts - serpents and something else (curious what others would recommend - i still see the gowen prebuilt around in almost unmodded form, but rarely see buncles or unmodded lawtia anymore; does that speak to the strength of each prebuilt?). this is from the standpoint that serpents is good and all, but frankly one gets tired playing the same thing over and over, win or lose. So to keep it more interesting I think you'd benefit from having at least 2 competitive files + the gowen starter that you can continue modifying.

3a) Elliah's first point is practical though - there's no rush to buy anything *except* the 300 gran "Ex:9 common pack" which disappears in a few days, everything else will be there for at least another month. figure out what you like and don't like about each sphere first before committing.

3b) everyone is telling you to buy the 300 gran "Ex:9 common pack" because even if you decide you hate all the cards and want to recycle every one of them, the cost of recycling is exactly the cost of buying, so you'd get a full refund. i.e. there's no risk. this is usually not the case; usually the recycle value is lower than the cost, by varying amounts. the cards in it probably won't be much use to you right away (Except as soul skills maybe) but hey, they're basically free so why not!

3c) resist the urge to recycle *anything* right now. hard to explain or appreciate until you've personally recycled a 5* that you thought you'd never use only to regret it later.

Have fun and keep posting!
Phellitiest (spambot) wrote:My personal relative delights in frogs.
psylensse

Postby GonFreeces31 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:10 am

Just don't buy a box of a set. They're a rip off for low spenders.t
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Otonashi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:04 am

The current EX Box I think takes a lot of support from other cards so it might not be worth it if you can't use them properly yet. On the other hand, the only other way to get them is through EX lotto but you need luck to draw the ones you want. In the long term though, the GOLD Boxes during set launches are best. One is enough to fill out a majority of the commons for the set and get a couple rares to mess around with, and then keeping a bit on hand in case a shop event pops up out of the blue is never a bad idea either.
Otonashi

Postby Anima13 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Don't rush with your decision take your time and try out all spheres making alt accounts. Decide for one main sphere and maybe for a sub sphere later. Come back and ask us then cause the purchase recommendations will be dependent of that.

Don't spend everything. Make a few purchases and wait for good offers.
EG unless you know that you want to get all cards in game its no point in buying all EX packs. They also wont necessary help you cause your primary aim is getting together some viable decks that can give you wins over lets say 40%. Its no point getting cool cards when you can't use them (maybe that change later). You want to concentrate only on a few deck types and one or 2 spheres at the beginning.

Be patient (although starting with 6000 gran is a bit different).

It is in your intrest to get 2-3 copies from cards if you want to reasonably use it in a deck.
Don't let yourself trick by lotto offers. That makes only sense if you want to pump a lot money in the game (sometimes not even then makes it sense). The lotto concept means getting random cards:
If you want to get more options and want to increase your card pool lotto is great.
If you want to get certain cards lotto is terrible dont even dare to touch it. Pinpoint will be always superior to it and thats why the current common box with 300gran is a great offer.

Off topic:
I find now the gowen pre build pretty decent(I totally underestimated this deck). It has its tricks it just not that obvious + It need a bit power up and mod but thats all.
Anima13

Postby GonFreeces31 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:43 pm

Yeah if you're only going to spend $50, DEFINITELY don't buy any box. You get some cards and that's grand, but you won't get enough rares to actually use them for playing purposes, and the commons are scattered over like 5 or 6 different sets. Like if you wanted to play magic dolls you'd have to buy cards from like 3 different sets at least and you might not even get the cards that you want!

So basically you need to think about how you can spend your gran on stuff that gives you cards that you can use to make files for Folrart.

The only things that accomplish this are:
- Pre-Builts
- EX Packs
- Faction packs
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Next

Return to Lapierre Sensei's Classroom