Which box to buy?

Game FAQ and Beginner's Corner

Which box to buy?

Postby Aolhelm » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:59 am

Hey all,

New player trying to do get into Alteil relatively low-budget. I'm looking at picking up one - MAYBE two - of the gold boxes, and am not sure which would be best given my preferences and current cards:

I really only have interest in playing Refess or Falkow. No Gowen or Lawtia. Yes, I realize this sort of handicaps me.

So far, I have Refess starter (already used switcher, too, unfortunately, though if I really need to buy Falkow starter that's an option), EX9 Refess and Falkow packs, a Beginner's Pack, and the Shrine Knights prebuilt, plus the cards I've randomly obtained from treasure battles/leveling to 15. If there are questions about specific cards I do/don't have, I'm more than happy to answer them.

Ideally, I'd be able to build a file that could compete in Folrart (by which I mean, beat serpents... good grief, they seem to destroy Shrine Knights, True God Church, and Solar Kingdom), but I understand that that may not be possible with a small selection of cards to work with.

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.
Aolhelm

Re: Which box to buy?

Postby bookoflife » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:19 am

Set 3 has the falkow proxy, Oseon which you would probably have a blast with. (though it's debatable if there's anything else you'd find useful, maybe star dragon or someone.
bookoflife

Postby psylensse » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:53 am

I think lots of folk on here would tell you to stay away from the boxes. You'll get lots of cards, you'll even get good cards, but they'll be random cards that you don't have useable playsets of. The prebuilts are widely agreed to be the best way to spend your gran. Sometimes, there are faction packs, which is also good. anything where you are spending your money in a way that you have a good idea what you'll be getting is the way to go. Obviously prebuilts you know exactly what you're going to get. Plus, the recycle value is almost worth the 500 gran alone; if you've got enough gran to buy the gold boxes, I'd pick up the next two prebuilts regardless of whether you play gowen or not.

I'm also a firm believer that more cards isn't the best thing for beginners. Best to learn how to use the cards you've got. Shrine Knights are quite good; watch some high level Shrine Knight players in Folrart and see what they do; ask around on the forums when you're having trouble; ask for advice during matches against good players, etc. etc. Every file has their bad matchups; honestly falkow as a whole will give the knights trouble as the sphere is very good at denying you the field presence you so desperately need with the knights. good luck and hope you're enjoying the game!
Phellitiest (spambot) wrote:My personal relative delights in frogs.
psylensse

Postby Spears » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:56 am

I would definitely prioritise the 500g prebuilts over the gold boxes. Although no word yet on what the next falklow one is going to be. Your defs beating refess option is pretty much big refess only in my opinion.
Spears

Postby LoneKnight » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:12 pm

You should probably wait for the new premade for falkow at the very least, and see where you can go from there. Oseon should be probably pointcarded, though now with the box sale on, you may risk maybe buying a box... maybe... I'm not sure I would.
LoneKnight

Postby psylensse » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:21 pm

I don't know what the opposite of "ringing endorsement" is, but this has got to be it:

GonFreeces31 wrote:Yeah most people who buy boxes just end up feeling ripped off. There is no targeting and its sometimes impossible to get the cards you want.

fargone wrote:But please, for your own sake, try to avoid boxes and normal packs

rsvlito wrote:I usually purchase 3 gold boxes per set and its impossible for me to collect 3x of every 5*. I'm not sure how many boxes I have to purchase to get complete sets but I know it will be more than 4 or 5.

Gota wrote:You purchase 1 gold box, ok, you get like what? probably some sets of 1 stars, and no sets of anything, maybe a couple of 2 stars.
You purchase another gold box, you get most likely sets of all 1 star, and then maybe all sets of 2 stars.
You purchase yet another gold box, you get sets of all 1 star, all 2 stars, for 3 stars and above, you are playing with luck here, you either have no sets of anything, or sets and also 4th+ copies of the same 3+ stars(which is even worst in some cases if the set are cards you didn't want)
Phellitiest (spambot) wrote:My personal relative delights in frogs.
psylensse

Postby GonFreeces31 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:48 pm

Boxes are only good if you plan to be a heavy spender. Otherwise do not buy them no matter what anyone tells you.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Aolhelm » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:48 pm

Thanks all for the replies. If I'm understanding correctly, then, the response is "Buy box 3 if you're going to buy a box - but really, don't buy a box." My only concern with waiting until the new Falkow starter comes out is that I don't think it'll be in time to get the treasure battles for Dragon Song Princess.

On that note, Mikus? Feedback I've seen seems to be that they're not terrible, but not great either. Probably not the best use of cash. Is that correct?
Aolhelm

Postby Shirozaki » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:54 pm

They are good in as you get what you know what you will get (YES, that made a whole lot of sense), like all EX-packs. Whether they are terrible to play is a different story, I've seen people win a few games though.
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" - Inscription above the gates of Alteil
Romdeau wrote:I don't have much else to say to you other than you live in your own world if you believe I have active enemies around Alteil besides from Demongod.
Shirozaki

Postby LoneKnight » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:07 pm

I like them, personally. There are some bad ones, but they seem to be all around decent.

This is also your ONLY chance at getting them, so if you have that much left over, I think you should go ahead and buy that box; although, it may not help you much in actually winning (or maybe it will, I haven't tried the refess-falkow group yet and they look kinda good).
LoneKnight

Next

Return to Lapierre Sensei's Classroom