The Scrub

Game FAQ and Beginner's Corner

The Scrub

Postby azurewrath » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:58 pm

So, I keep hearing the dumbest things being said on these forums. Silly things like "cheap" files or BKR noobs (LOL?). People that have "used Urgant before" or "pixie abuser". Calls for Refess to be buffed since it doesn't do the same thing as Lawtia or Gowen. I've decided to link these people (hereafter named "scrubs") to a great lil read.

I'll TL:DR it first.
Scrubs are people that blame losing on other things than their own ability. They make up arbitrary rules that they randomly think up so they can feel better about themselves after they lose. Things like "Urgant is cheap" or "BKR noobs" are some of these arbitrary things they tell themselves so they can try to sound superior. Nietzsche had a thing or two to say about it too. He called it the slave mentality (I came up with this without reading the article :D!). Basically, anytime people are complaining about something being cheap, they are complaining about their lack of ability to overcome it. With it being either their own illusions of grandeur.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/intermediates-guide.html
azurewrath

Re: The Scrub

Postby Ayabi » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:47 pm

Great article! While I think that balancing should not be an issue in a TGC, there is always going to be better cards.
As they say, If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! :)
Ayabi

Postby Khiruki » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:30 pm

That's like the... ninth? time I've seen someone drop that article. I was wondering when someone would post it here. It kinda applies to just about every competitive game though... I'm sure someone can make an argument that it fits for Tetris. "Line blocks are OP!"
ImageImage
Khiruki

Postby azurewrath » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Obviously someone forgot to read the article right before it on which games to choose.
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/getting-started.html

Plus, were you saying something?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIAAmaS9n0Q
azurewrath

Postby Romdeau » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:44 am

yea I've read up sirlin's stuff he's pretty influential in the game design community.

I like reading what he has to say.
Romdeau

Postby Callonia » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:35 am

Old article, someone already linked that on here before. Old.

At least link something new for me to read.

Plus i would poke that thing full of holes that it'd be funny for me. Weak arguments everything in that article.
Callonia

Postby GonFreeces31 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:41 am

Though this prolly shouldn't be in Lap Sensei classroom.

Being a beginner does not make you a scrub, it just makes you a beginner.

Scrubs are defined by their attitudes.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby azurewrath » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:01 am

Oh wise Callonia of the scrub nation, please enlighten one such as I on the error of my ways!

+ put it here since it didn't seem to fit anywhere else really.
azurewrath

Postby Romdeau » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:47 am

azurewrath wrote:Oh wise Callonia of the scrub nation, please enlighten one such as I on the error of my ways!

+ put it here since it didn't seem to fit anywhere else really.

Now if only everyone here like you thought like that, I wouldn't have to facepalm whenever I move like 5 threads a day from G.D.
Romdeau

Postby Anima13 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:52 am

I find it amusing when suddenly in the middle of the text he sides with the ones playing to win calling them "good players" :D.
Does anyone knows if he also discuss how close the "playing to win" mentality is to the "career ****" and what amount of damge this usually creates?
Or the idealism + the justice/equality concept of those scrubs? This conflict he describes could suddenly get a complete new degree of complexity with that.
Anima13

Next

Return to Lapierre Sensei's Classroom