The Scrub

Game FAQ and Beginner's Corner

Re: The Scrub

Postby angelspawns » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:12 pm

angelspawns wrote:... Truth is i'm not all this negative ; I'm actually a huge suggestion freak at heart, looking to find/bring solutions!

But trying to better this game gotten me down. The Staff will take its own course regardless of playerbase input. The suggestionthreads fall on deaf ears as do our complaints or praises... it doesn't matter what you say in here. Nothing except digits and $$ hold value to AlteilUS Staff. With such low interest in its people so did my interest disappear to keep my spirits up about this game. Nowadays i rather visit quickly to vent frustrations and move along, instead of putting more energy in bringing solutions. (or take the time to mention i agree)
It may sound childish, but this feeling is just a graduate process over time and not some rebellish descision.

I sometimes do vent positive thoughts and ideas (like that 'take an Apprentice' thread) but if you ask me what the point of it all is... i honestly can't tell. Just got some creative juices flowing once in a while i guess... Catch the forums in a good mood...

Signed

~The Scrub.
Image
User avatar
angelspawns
 
Posts: 1024
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Re: The Scrub

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:21 pm

Spawn that doesn't make you a scrub at all. You would be a scrub if you arbitrarily made up rules in your head about what is like "honorable fighting" or something like that and said your opponent was being cheap or whatever.


LoneKnight wrote:Repeating myself here, but you are missing the point of scrub mentality. It's not only "I don't play bringer because I think he is OP and hence lowers the enjoyment of the game for me", but "I don't play bringer because he is OP, hence I'm superior to all those **** playing bringer". It's basically making up "honor rules" to make yourself feel better about your loss. Like the aforementioned no Bringer or using no characters or no EX or whatever.

What it comes down to is that anyone calling anyone else a "meta abuser" or "netdecker" or whatever and using that as an excuse to place himself above them (or using it as an excuse at all really) is being a textbook scrub.

Hence a "spike" can be scrubby and a "johnny" can be pro.
The True Hero / Callonia
User avatar
GonFreeces31
 
Posts: 9322
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:20 am
Location: Philadelphia

Re: The Scrub

Postby azurewrath » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:23 pm

I know not everyone here has read the full article. Sirlin actually address many of the problems the people in this thread have posted. Seriously, he has. The problem of not everyone "playing to win" or "having different objectives" or "the game itself is at fault" are all addressed. Sirlin does it better than me, so I would rather have you read and interpret it yourself than have me TL:DR it.
User avatar
azurewrath
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:09 pm

Re: The Scrub

Postby wakka9ca » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:26 pm

azurewrath wrote:I know not everyone here has read the full article. Sirlin actually address many of the problems the people in this thread have posted. Seriously, he has. The problem of not everyone "playing to win" or "having different objectives" or "the game itself is at fault" are all addressed. Sirlin does it better than me, so I would rather have you read and interpret it yourself than have me TL:DR it.


People have to read the later chapters by Sirlin which addresses that.
Image
Image
User avatar
wakka9ca
 
Posts: 1375
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: The Scrub

Postby angelspawns » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:46 pm

But but... if i'm not a scrub, what am i then? Just... grumpy? lol. :( And i do call cards lame after i see them for a thousanth time. When every blue colored deck resorts to the same Grim as solution, you get tired of it. You start adding counters just against this 1 trick. Then if that still loses 50/50 when it's not wasting filespace, you start demanding better solutions.

Am i now a scrub??
Image
User avatar
angelspawns
 
Posts: 1024
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Re: The Scrub

Postby GonFreeces31 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:03 am

Nope not a scrub.

The scrub would take great issue with this statement for he usually believes that he is playing to win, but he is bound up by an intricate construct of fictitious rules that prevents him from ever truly competing. These made-up rules vary from game to game, of course, but their character remains constant.
The True Hero / Callonia
User avatar
GonFreeces31
 
Posts: 9322
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:20 am
Location: Philadelphia

Re: The Scrub

Postby Spears » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:41 am

Issues arise when people use the term to shutdown balance discussion. Instead of making a counterargument people simply call other srubs as if this is a subsitute.
I would argue that the scrub mentality can be, and is most harmful when applied to a discussion "what you say is invalid because you are a scrub" is no better than "your win is invalid because your cards are op".

Hence my stance on the phrase, by the way cutting of the last few letters doesnt change anything
User avatar
Spears
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:45 pm
Location: Blighty

Re: The Scrub

Postby LoneKnight » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:54 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-9VLVkm ... ure=relmfu

Just thought I'd post this here. Listen to all 4.
User avatar
LoneKnight
 
Posts: 2703
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:46 am

Re: The Scrub

Postby azurewrath » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:03 pm

In the end, some people's opinions are worth more than others. There is no way around that. Even if I'm at my limit and have plateaued at this point, I can confidently say that my opinion as a consistent player is worth more than the opinions of someone stuck at a lower plateau than me. I am at least making more correct calls.
User avatar
azurewrath
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:09 pm

Re: The Scrub

Postby Interfectorexcrem » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:21 pm

azurewrath wrote:So, I keep hearing the dumbest things being said on these forums. Silly things like "cheap" files or BKR noobs (LOL?). People that have "used Urgant before" or "pixie abuser". Calls for Refess to be buffed since it doesn't do the same thing as Lawtia or Gowen. I've decided to link these people (hereafter named "scrubs") to a great lil read.

I'll TL:DR it first.
Scrubs are people that blame losing on other things than their own ability. They make up arbitrary rules that they randomly think up so they can feel better about themselves after they lose. Things like "Urgant is cheap" or "BKR noobs" are some of these arbitrary things they tell themselves so they can try to sound superior. Nietzsche had a thing or two to say about it too. He called it the slave mentality (I came up with this without reading the article :D!). Basically, anytime people are complaining about something being cheap, they are complaining about their lack of ability to overcome it. With it being either their own illusions of grandeur.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/intermediates-guide.html

I like Nietzsche's idea of having to overcome your state, to be more than what you are. That humanity is something that you have to surpass in order to succeed.

But aren't you victimizing yourself by listening to the people that upset you? Rather then making them value more than nothing by giving them attention, why not simply talk about Nietzsche himself instead? I am sure your words won't reach the scrub anyway.


Savin877 wrote:The problem is "playing to win" does not necessarily mean you are a "good player."

You have the "right mentality" thats for sure, because honestly, who doesn't want to win every game they play?

I wouldn't consider it the right mentality. It's just happens that games generally have winning as a goal.
Alteil is in the same category, most forget that very quick and because of that don't understand the unfulfilled needs of some players that don't manage to achieve the goal.

Have you ever played a game just for the sake of exploring things? People usually don't call a game, a game if it's not about winning. I've played some games just for their stories or just to view the general idea or gameplay concept. I skipped through those games with cheats, because all i wanted was to simply explore not to play to win.
Clearly alteil ain't about exploring, you don't have that opportunity unless ...

To put it simply, it's the only mentality that alteil supports, the play to win mentality that is.


If said scrubs want to impose restrictions on themselves they can do so. But they have no right to even suggest that others should do the same. It sounds very disrespectful to ask others to play with handicap just because it increases your fun.
Whatever the game allows that's fine, if you don't agree with that, then you don't agree with the game. You are playing the wrong game, while you should be playing a game that's more fun to you. If you still decide to play this game, then consider it as part of the handicaps you imposed upon yourself and don't blame someone else for it, because at the end of the day it was you who took those choices. Stop blaming others for making bad decisions!
Image
One does not take leave while they are so far behind in so many of their duties.
Interfectorexcrem
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:46 am

PreviousNext

Return to Lapierre Sensei's Classroom

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests