The Scrub

Game FAQ and Beginner's Corner

Re: The Scrub

Postby wakka9ca » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:37 pm

About "exploring" the game:

You can do that only as a paying player, not as free player. I'm mostly exploring the game instead of playing competitively for instance.
wakka9ca

Postby GonFreeces31 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:30 pm

LoneKnight wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-9VLVkm8R4&feature=relmfu

Just thought I'd post this here. Listen to all 4.

This was great! I really liked his comment about the "faux pro" there are a lot of them.

“One must shed the bad taste of wanting to agree with many. "Good" is no longer good when one's neighbor mouths it. And how should there be a "common good"! The term contradicts itself: whatever can be common always has little value. In the end it must be as it is and always has been: great things remain for the great, abysses for the profound, nuances and shudders for the refined, and, in brief, all that is rare for the rare.”

Someone mentioned nietzche...
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Callonia » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:28 pm

Interfectorexcrem wrote:To put it simply, it's the only mentality that alteil supports, the play to win mentality that is.

Only worthwhile line in your whole wall of china post.
Callonia

Postby GonFreeces31 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:18 pm

You can play for fun and still win. Problem is game is complex. It is not easy to make a solid forest snake file, and so a lot of people say blah I can't have fun. But I've played forest snake files and beat 2000RP files with Forest Snake.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby azurewrath » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:41 pm

The issue there is consistency.
azurewrath

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:17 pm

Right, but I mean if you make a fundamentally solid file, you can "have fun" with pretty much anything. You can win lots of games, the only issue is having weaknesses and consistency. Complaints about "I can't play my fun file" I disregard, because fun files can win if the user has good knowledge and experience in file design.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Interfectorexcrem » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Callonia wrote:
Interfectorexcrem wrote:To put it simply, it's the only mentality that alteil supports, the play to win mentality that is.

Only worthwhile line in your whole wall of china post.

I am sorry. Honestly didn't mean to strain inexperienced readers.

GonFreeces31 wrote:You can play for fun and still win. Problem is game is complex. It is not easy to make a solid forest snake file, and so a lot of people say blah I can't have fun. But I've played forest snake files and beat 2000RP files with Forest Snake.

I thought a winning file, is exactly a fun file for those who have winning as a goal.
If your goal is to have fun and you don't have fun, because you play the strongest file, instead of the file that makes the game fun for you, then you clearly suffer from the scrub disease.
One does not take leave while they are so far behind in so many of their duties.
Interfectorexcrem

Postby fargone » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:40 pm

I would like to put this forward to all of you self professed pro's, experts and people who are simply the best:

By actually calling people scrubs, you have put yourself higher than your peers in your own mind. Of course this has no bounds in reality, it is simply your judgement of others (no matter how clearly you define it). That makes you a scrub yourself. Anyone who judges information based on its delivery is simply a moron. Gon's statement regarding forest snake could have been clearer, but in essence clearly defines the issue.

So... have fun calling each other scrubs, I enjoy watching your admitions. Go cry at each other more, the culture of the game is really benefitting. While you are at it, you should complain about how ppl talk to each other in and out of game as well, and you should do this as if you aren't a part of the problem. As long as you can justify treating of others like **** to yourself, then you can rest easy that you are right, they are wrong and you're actually making things better... if that isn't a scrub mentality, then I don't know what is.
GonFreeces31 wrote:
fargone wrote:I realise this is completely off topic, but Icy deserves the limelight more than others. Some of whom dominate the forums with their endless posts.

What, I make legit points too...
fargone

Postby azurewrath » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:53 pm

First paragraph of the book.

Imagine a majestic mountain nirvana of gaming. At its peak are fulfillment, “fun,” and even transcendence. Most people could care less about this mountain peak because they have other life issues that are more important to them, and other peaks to pursue. There are a few, though, who are not at this peak, but who would be very happy there. These are the people I’m talking to with this book. Some of them don’t need any help; they’re on the journey. Most, though, only believe they are on that journey but actually are not. They got stuck in a chasm at the mountain’s base, a land of scrubdom. Here they are imprisoned in their own mental constructs of made-up game rules. If they could only cross this chasm, they would discover either a very boring plateau (for a degenerate game) or the heavenly enchanted mountain peak (for a “deep” game). In the former case, crossing the chasm would teach them to find a different mountain with more fulfilling rewards. In the latter case, well, they’d just be happier. “Playing to win” is largely the process of shedding the mental constructs that trap players in the chasm who would be happier at the mountain peak.

- David Sirlin, Playing to Win.

It matters now because those people who think they have a firm grasp of the game are lobbying (crying) to make changes. Changes they don't understand. Changes must be made by those who have a more complete understanding of the nature of the game. Only those that have ruthlessly exploited the best the game has to offer on a consistent basis can truly give a valid opinion on what needs to change and why.

I am not one of those really. You know how I know this? It is because there are players that consistently beat me and do better than me. If I know that even I shouldn't be heeded in most cases though, how do the people at an even lower level than me fair? Are their screams of IMBA OP ABUSER valid or were they never prepared to play in the first place? Are they hiding behind a curtain of playing for fun when they scream that they are losing to IMBA OP ABUSERS?
azurewrath

Postby GonFreeces31 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:38 pm

I am guilty Dave. Sorry.

Here is part of the problem:

“One must shed the bad taste of wanting to agree with many. "Good" is no longer good when one's neighbor mouths it. And how should there be a "common good"! The term contradicts itself: whatever can be common always has little value. In the end it must be as it is and always has been: great things remain for the great, abysses for the profound, nuances and shudders for the refined, and, in brief, all that is rare for the rare.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

PreviousNext

Return to Lapierre Sensei's Classroom