Nuances in attacking

Game FAQ and Beginner's Corner

Re: Nuances in attacking

Postby reydien » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:04 pm

You are correct, if there is a target in range when you attack, you will hit the target. There is no miss chance.

However, WHO you hit (with the basic attack at least) is randomly selected from the targets in range. Chrono was asking if there is a way to influence this random selection, to which the answer so far has been "don't know."

I strongly expect there to be a card in one of the 10 expansions Japan has that restricts the basic attack target selection, but that's Japan. I have yet to see a card in the basic set we're starting off with that affects the basic attack (other than cards that modify RNG).
"Select the pistol, and then, select your horse."
User avatar
reydien
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:42 am
Location: Norman, OK

Re: Nuances in attacking

Postby Kyoshi » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:29 pm

reydien wrote:You are correct, if there is a target in range when you attack, you will hit the target. There is no miss chance.

However, WHO you hit (with the basic attack at least) is randomly selected from the targets in range. Chrono was asking if there is a way to influence this random selection, to which the answer so far has been "don't know."

I strongly expect there to be a card in one of the 10 expansions Japan has that restricts the basic attack target selection, but that's Japan. I have yet to see a card in the basic set we're starting off with that affects the basic attack (other than cards that modify RNG).


Well see when I was playing the game when he attacked me i had two cards in his range and he always chose the one he wanted to attack and that is with the basic attack that is why it is slightly confusing. Did they change things since Akon except the art?
alpha428
Image
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
User avatar
Kyoshi
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:26 pm
Location: Lost in The Portal

Re: Nuances in attacking

Postby reydien » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:37 pm

He may have been using a special attack, some of them let you pick a specific target.
"Select the pistol, and then, select your horse."
User avatar
reydien
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:42 am
Location: Norman, OK

Re: Nuances in attacking

Postby DanTheTimid » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:12 pm

Often times special abilities or grimoire cards allow you to target, but the only time you get to choose your target when performing a normal attack is if your unit has the "pinpoint" ability, other wise its randomly chosen.

The question was, as I understood it, was not if there was a way to influence the random chance, but rather if there are hidden factors that make it still random but with special probabilities. For example I've got a person in the front row and back row, my opponent attacks with a unit that has the range to hit both of my units. He's asking whether or not the odds to hit each target is 50/50 or if for example theres a 75% chance it'll hit the front target and 25% chance of hitting the back target. I don't know the answer to that but since the game doesn't suggest other wise I'd assume your odds as to who you'll hit is equal for any unit regardless of position. As he surmised it does seem possible that there could be special abilities besides pinpoint that would break this random rule (such as an ability called "tank" that forces that unit to be attack before any non "tank" units in an enemies range)
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
User avatar
DanTheTimid
 
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: Glendale, AZ

Re: Nuances in attacking

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:50 pm

This is why I didn't answer the question at all, let alone in detail. While I believe that each potential target has an equal chance of being hit, I could be wrong, as most of us have not played enough to get any trustworthy evidence.

Unless one of the Alteil people feel like enlightening us, it seems that we're stuck in an abyss of limited ignorance, eh?

-Az
Guest
 

Re: Nuances in attacking

Postby Chronomaster » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:58 pm

azarael wrote:This is why I didn't answer the question at all, let alone in detail. While I believe that each potential target has an equal chance of being hit, I could be wrong, as most of us have not played enough to get any trustworthy evidence.

Unless one of the Alteil people feel like enlightening us, it seems that we're stuck in an abyss of limited ignorance, eh?

-Az

I think they're enjoying it, at this point.
BEATMANIUH
User avatar
Chronomaster
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:13 pm

Re: Nuances in attacking

Postby erestor » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:44 am

chronomaster wrote:
azarael wrote:This is why I didn't answer the question at all, let alone in detail. While I believe that each potential target has an equal chance of being hit, I could be wrong, as most of us have not played enough to get any trustworthy evidence.

Unless one of the Alteil people feel like enlightening us, it seems that we're stuck in an abyss of limited ignorance, eh?

-Az

I think they're enjoying it, at this point.



yeah they are probaly all sittin around logress's computer laughin' so hard that they cry
i can see lupos doin that and callin ''the red'' over to share in the joy
famous last words: ''trust me, nothing bad will happen...''
User avatar
erestor
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:30 pm
Location: mcallen texas...ten miles from mexico

Re: Nuances in attacking

Postby Logress » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:46 pm

I was going to answer sooner, but then us not answering became part of the thread and I wasn't sure I should disrupt it... Anyway, the Japanese handle the back end, but in my experience all viable targets have an equal chance. Wait, let me think about this... no, in my experience your opponent has a 90% chance of hitting the guy you don't want him to hit!
There are a lot of ways to get around the randomness, or to use it to your advantage (Meaning, don't leave Zagar alone in the front row). On one of the other posts Dan the Timid thought of a good way to use range to narrow down your targets. As anyone who's counted cards in Texas Hold 'Em knows, beating randomness is a strategic game in and of itself.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress
 
Posts: 6314
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:36 am

Previous

Return to Lapierre Sensei's Classroom

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests