Names and Avatar genders?

Game FAQ and Beginner's Corner

Re: Names and Avatar genders?

Postby Logress » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:10 pm

Right now, there's no limits on who can use what avatar, so you can switch to a Female if you want. However, I'm not sure your actual Iczer records' gender changes (Lupos might be able to change those through his magic) so anywhere gender is listed it will still say "male" even if your avatar looks Female. However, I don't think gender is listed anywhere other players can see it, so it should never really matter.

--Sean
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:16 pm

Logress wrote:Right now, there's no limits on who can use what avatar, so you can switch to a Female if you want. However, I'm not sure your actual Iczer records' gender changes (Lupos might be able to change those through his magic) so anywhere gender is listed it will still say "male" even if your avatar looks Female. However, I don't think gender is listed anywhere other players can see it, so it should never really matter.

--Sean

Awesome ^_^
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Chronomaster » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:27 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:I don't see why people are making a big deal about gender, its just an avatar. In most MMORPGs I play I typically have both a male and female characters. On forums I some time have male avatars, female avatars, and even just random symbols or gender ambiguous creatures. Your just representing yourself with something you think looks cool and I don't see why you should be restricted to only half the potential avatars : - /

As for the name thing I ask because in Urban Rivals, another online card game, you can change your name whenever you want so its just something I've grown accustomed to and found to be fun/useful on occasion. I can understand though how from a technical point if thats not how it was in the Japaneses version that it'd probably be a rather annoyingly difficult thing to implement. Its nice to know though that should I desire to change my name later that it may be made available to me at least once. Especially if we can't change our avatars gender and I end up like the female avatars more I may change my name to something a bit more gender ambiguous if I end up getting a lot of flak about being a male name with a female avatar.

You know I don't care much about the gender of my avatar. I'm just saying it's a bad idea to propose that GMs dispel their boredom my messing around with mine.
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby TheVogfather » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:34 pm

well this is how things are with most mmorpgs i've played at least. its a sugestion. but i don't feal it would be nessary or somthing to be put on top of the prioritys list imo.
A#221
TheVogfather

Postby dawn » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:32 am

so I'm kinda lucky ^^~ Dawn doesn't sound too bad does it - though lacking in originality ;a33
dawn

Postby Kyoshi » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:40 pm

The name in my opinion is a problem to change so frequently especially when those who have log-in specific programs. Yes we all sometimes don't get the names we want at the beginning and then want to change later and can't but to a technical point it is rough to have one user change their name a multiple of times because then the issue arises of several users having the same name. Which then would cause a password problem or log-in issues and then more bugs to arise on account info(meaning your deck and such). Unless the name you use to log-in is separate from the iczer name you use. Because if you use your log-in here to log-in to your account on the game and your iczer info would be there. It causes less of a problem but more if you run into five different people named "Swabble". But since I don't know how the system is working or what sort of way it is going to work that is hard to tell. I've not seen a lot of sites with log-ins allow name changes especially MMORPGs. They usually will even have a small program attached to the log-in process at the beginning to make sure you pick a name that is not a duplicate so the log-in process doesn't become a hassle. And we don't have more then one guy running around calling himself "TheNinja" or something.
;a30
alpha428
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
Kyoshi

Postby erestor » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:30 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:I don't see why people are making a big deal about gender, its just an avatar. In most MMORPGs I play I typically have both a male and female characters. On forums I some time have male avatars, female avatars, and even just random symbols or gender ambiguous creatures. Your just representing yourself with something you think looks cool and I don't see why you should be restricted to only half the potential avatars : - /

i agree with you...i myself wanted to put a picture of EUREKA as my forum picture but when i would shrink it the picture looked bad.
like in Gunz i play as a female sometime mainly because they have cool outfits
but is also fun to pick on all the losers who want to cyber.
but lupos has a lot of stuff on his plate as it is so we should let him be for the moment...at least until after the beta then we can hassle him like crazy
famous last words: ''trust me, nothing bad will happen...''
erestor

Postby Raeith » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:10 pm

While I suspect gender isn't really too much of a problem (since it doesn't specifically affect sensitive details for login and such), I personally have always found it rather nifty to have the ability to change your name around after account registration. The only problem with this is trying to implement a name change system AFTER a defaulted login/registration system has already been developed since it requires a whole shift in where to access the database for a name, and without this ability in mind it's a whole lot of shovel work. (It would seem lupos has hit this problem and is now trying to meld the game with the website/forums). Having to change almost every reference from "username" to "izcername" in the game is going to be a pain!

So basically if I'm reading right, Lupos your trying to keep usernames constant throughout the website/forum/game and then also have the game use another name "izcer name" which would be the one used for any interaction in-game with other people?

username <-- This will what your account name will be, you login to the forums/website/game using this name. (Stays the same)
izcername <-- This is basically what people will see you as when your on the game. (Let you change this)

You also said something about a "name" which the forums and website uses?

Edit: Kyoshi also brings up a excellent point though, how are we suppose to know if the person "TheNinja" on the forums/website (username) is the same person with the izcer name of "TheNinja"? (Unless you restrict the izcer names to being something that isn't already a izcername OR username)
Edit2: (But only restrict izcer name from being a existing username IF it isn't your own username, because maybe "TheNinja" (username) wants to use the izcer name "TheNinja")
Protect our forests!
Don't kick, punch, bite or hurt the trees!
Raeith

Postby Akjeil » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:05 am

dawn wrote:so I'm kinda lucky ^^~ Dawn doesn't sound too bad does it - though lacking in originality ;a33

Not bad, but how about Red Dawn, Dawn of the Dead, or Voyage of the Dawn Treader?

(Yeah, I know, those aren't too original either...)

-Akjeil the Name-Stealer
"A rabbit made from candy > candy made from a rabbit."
-Important Things With Demetri Martin, "Games: Greater than/ Equal to"
Akjeil

Postby Akjeil » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:15 am

DanTheTimid wrote:
Logress wrote:Right now, there's no limits on who can use what avatar, so you can switch to a Female if you want. However, I'm not sure your actual Iczer records' gender changes (Lupos might be able to change those through his magic) so anywhere gender is listed it will still say "male" even if your avatar looks Female. However, I don't think gender is listed anywhere other players can see it, so it should never really matter.

--Sean

Awesome ^_^

I want mine similar to Gowen's "Bounty Hunter/Elena" or that "Sky" girl (ka-sen-do-ra in kana writing) on the Japanese Alteil site (Story 2 cards).

-Akjeil the Androgynous Avatar :!: :?: :shock: :lol:
"A rabbit made from candy > candy made from a rabbit."
-Important Things With Demetri Martin, "Games: Greater than/ Equal to"
Akjeil

Previous

Return to Lapierre Sensei's Classroom