What are Text Skills?

Game FAQ and Beginner's Corner

What are Text Skills?

Postby DanTheTimid » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:50 am

Looking through the set 1 card files I noticed in addition to open skills, soul skills, auto skills, action skills, close skills, and start skills all of which I believe are explained in the glossary that there was another type of skill that some times appears on cards, labeled Text, which is not explained in the glossary.

It appears on a number of cards but just for an example it appears on Bellydancer / Kurina, her Text Skill being Revival. Any particular reason Text Skills aren't defined in the glossary?

EDIT: Poll added by Lupos
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Re: What are Text Skills?

Postby Logress » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:57 pm

I'm not sure what we're going to call them in english, or if we're not going to have a name at all. On the English cards right now, the skill type is blank on these skills.
Either way, these skills are separate from all the others. They are more like new rules that only effect this card. Like Blitz Soldier, the strongest level 2 card in the game (Gowen, by the way), has two skills that give him penalties to offset his power. One of them is a "text" or "un-typed" skill. It says that this card can't Standby (too much testosterone) or Iczer attack, and sure enough those are never choices on his Action menu. Unlike all the other skill types, that activate at a certain time, these skills are always in effect and are more like rules than skills.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Chronomaster » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:13 am

... so why not call them Laws?
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby DanTheTimid » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:34 am

Law Skill... hmmm... I could see that. Or maybe Permanent Skill? Static Skill? Fixed Skill?

I think I like Static Skill best personally.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby reydien » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:10 am

Well, as long as we're tossing out ideas, how about Passive? it would help Clarify that the "ability" is always in effect. Of course, not putting anything should also work as well, though I could imagine people getting confused by random, unlabeled text/rules on their cards.

Other possibilities: Special, Persistent, Mechanic.
"Select the pistol, and then, select your horse."
reydien

Postby Awod » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:15 am

Passive effects, I like that. Nice one reydien.
Eva FTW~
雲泥の差
Awod

Postby DanTheTimid » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:18 am

Passives not bad either, though of your suggestions I think I like Persistent Skill the best, I think it best makes it immediately apparent that these are skills that are always present whether you want them to be or not.
DanTheTimid

Postby Belphegor » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:44 am

Well if it's a skill that is always active and usually specific to a certain type of card - is that right? Then how about Inherent Skill?
Belphegor

Postby TheVogfather » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:55 am

yea i think passive effect, skill, or ablity would work.
A#221
TheVogfather

Postby Exanthem » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:51 pm

Eh, just leave them as "Text Skills" so there can be 100 new players flooding the forum every week asking what they are.
Exanthem

Next

Return to Lapierre Sensei's Classroom