What are Text Skills?

Game FAQ and Beginner's Corner

Re: What are Text Skills?

Postby Chronomaster » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:26 pm

Exanthem wrote:Eh, just leave them as "Text Skills" so there can be 100 new players flooding the forum every week asking what they are.

Hahahahaha NO. ;)

And besides, I wouldn't call them skills. I thought Law since they refer to a set of additional rules required in playing/using the card. Thus, such and such a card has laws governing what they can and can't do.
BEATMANIUH
Chronomaster

Postby Rad!oZonde » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:08 pm

They could be seen as a 'Addition Skill'

and I agree that we need to figure out a name for these skills
From what I am reading, the texts on the cards have a bit of a effect in gameplay. It would be really confusing if people start naming it different things when asking for help on understanding the card.
HENSHIN GO!!!
Rad!oZonde

Postby Grain » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:25 pm

I vote for Passive

-Grain
Grain

Postby GunCastor » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:28 pm

Text Skills does sound pretty weird. I vote to call it Passive Skill as well.
GunCastor

Postby tdkgunghoul » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:55 am

Passive has my vote.
And while we're at it, maybe someone could put up a poll thread on this or something...?
All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu

Alphas Unite!
-alpha260
tdkgunghoul

Postby Ethelif » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:32 am

I think passive can work but unfortunately passive also leads the the idea that its in effect that is automatic and you can choose to do other things with the card wall the passive trait is still running.

Laws sounds cool but at the same time it doesnt seem to fit the idea of the game.

I like the idea of requirement as well but I dont think all of the "Text-Skills" can fallow under that.

I think breaking Text into two diffrent options is a possability.

Passive/Instinct/ etc...
These would be skills are like Kurina's revival skill. Which a is passive that doesnt restrict the card.

Requirements/Laws/Restriction/ etc...
These would be skills like Blitz Soldiers Merciless Aggression skill which are skills that restrict the card and its uses.

yeah well thats just my crazy mind working and giving everyone my two cents. :S
Ethelif

Postby Tocanis » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:44 pm

I think Persistent Skill has a better connotation for what the ability is. Though honestly I think it would be better to just not label it at all and just print the extra "ability(s)" on the card without worrying about what type of skill it is. The word skill, to me, makes it sound like something you actively choose to do/use. I'm sure that we can't make those kind of changes though, since it's already set. I'm assuming that this discussion is purely from a translation/label standpoint, and all we're talking about is what to call it rather than change how it works.

Ok, started rambling a bit there, sorry.

;a39
Tocanis

Postby Raeith » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:15 am

Are we trying to keep the "____ Skill" format? I'm assuming we are just to make sure theres a level of consistency throughout the skills. Maybe "Native Skill"? It implies the skill is inherent in the card but doesn't slant the idea towards either good or bad. Then again passive is looking pretty attractive to me (mainly due to use the of the use of "passive" in fairly large chunk of the RPG genre and so it just seems "normal" to me, the only problem is that I tend to think of only good things when I think of "passive" but thats more due to the way I'm used to seeing the word used and less the actual meaning of the word).
Protect our forests!
Don't kick, punch, bite or hurt the trees!
Raeith

Postby Allied » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:54 pm

Passive has my vote!
Allied

Postby Kyoshi » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:40 pm

I really think Passive would lead someone that plays games with skills to automatically think it is a skill that is always on and unneeded of activating. To me this would lead to confusion with new players that jump into the game and don't come to the forums or read anything. They just jump in head first hoping they learn everything by playing. I just think it will cause problems and we should just learn to live with what things are named....

Unless it is completely ridiculous like the Boppa Buoy Boppa Buoy Skill of Doom, Despair, and the Baking of Cookies!

[card=24]Random Card from the Muffins of Doom!?[/card]
Last edited by Kyoshi on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpha428
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
Kyoshi

PreviousNext

Return to Lapierre Sensei's Classroom