Game FAQ

Game FAQ and Beginner's Corner

Re: Game FAQ

Postby Kchark » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:00 pm

Soul Skills only come into play if the card is set as one of your five “Soul Cards” in the Card File before the duel.

So can you set what your Soul Cards are before a duel, or are they randomly chosen from your card file when the match starts?

Also, can Soul abilities be triggered every round like attack abilities, or do they only occur when the unit enters play?
Kchark

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:04 pm

Kchark wrote:
Soul Skills only come into play if the card is set as one of your five “Soul Cards” in the Card File before the duel.

So can you set what your Soul Cards are before a duel, or are they randomly chosen from your card file when the match starts?

Also, can Soul abilities be triggered every round like attack abilities, or do they only occur when the unit enters play?

This is a good question, also I wonder why soul cards and soul skills weren't explored at all in the tutorial, it seems to be a main part of the game and they seemed to at least lightly cover all the other areas.

My guess is that you would get to set them while constructing your deck/card file because of the fact it says "before the duel" but I can certainly see them being chosen randomly much like shields in duel masters and that line just meaning that its randomly chosen before the duel begins (infact based on what I've learned of soul cards from the glossary they sound rather similar in many ways to duel masters shields).
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby DWildstar » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:17 pm

;a30 Soul Cards are chosen when making your deck.

They're activated when the Iczer takes damage and the Soul Card dies. This adds to the strategy of how to make your deck because there are a wide variety of soul skills that can do stuff like give you more SP or do damage to your enemy.
DWildstar

Postby Kchark » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:28 pm

I'm still a little confused. The soul abilities take effect when you take damage...but do the cards with those effects have to be in play, or are they simply abilities that are triggered from outside the game when you take damage?
Kchark

Postby DanTheTimid » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:52 pm

Kchark wrote:I'm still a little confused. The soul abilities take effect when you take damage...but do the cards with those effects have to be in play, or are they simply abilities that are triggered from outside the game when you take damage?

From the sound of it, when making your deck you choose and set aside 5 cards to be your soul cards. These cards are separate from the rest of your deck and placed just above your avatar at the beginning of every duel. Each time you take damage one of the cards you set as your soul card has its soul skill activated. In this manner the cards are sort of always in play but not in play in the sense that its in one of your 9 field slots but in that separate spot above your character. Since I don't see anything that suggests other wise it seems to me that even if the card is a unit it is not put into play upon activation, it simply activates its soul skill and then is used up for that duel. So in a way I guess they all act like Grimoire. Also any cards you have in play (on your 3x3 field) who have soul abilities do NOT activate said abilities when you take damage, only those 5 cards you set aside before the fight began qualify to activate. Soul skills only matter when deciding which to use for your 5 soul card slots, after that you can ignore soul skills (unless some other effect would break the rules and activate them).
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby reydien » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:09 pm

Edit: Just a note, this may not be exactly how the Soul Card and LP system works. This is just based on my experiences, what I've seen, and my own logical assumptions based on that.

Soul Cards are chosen when you are putting the deck/card list together. you will always have the same 5 cards as your soul cards, in the same order (unless you change the card list).

Most* cards have a LP value on them, from 1-3. The LP total of your 5 Soul Cards determines how much life you (the player) have in the battle. If all of your soul cards have 1 LP, then you can take 5 hits before you lose. if the first 3 soul cards have 1 LP, the 4th has 2 LP, and the last has 3 LP, then you have 8 life. Order matters, as explained below.

Let's make an example for the rest of the explanation: your first Soul card has 2 LP, second has 1 LP, third has 3 LP, fourth has 1 LP, fifth has 3 LP. The total is 10, which is how much life you start with. During a battle, you take one hit; you are now at 9 life. Once you take a second hit, your first Soul Card (the one with 2 LP) activates its soul ability (if it has one). You would then be at 8/10 life, with your first soul card gone. One more hit and your Second Soul Card would trigger (again, if it has a Soul Ability).

Generally speaking, the higher the LP of a card, the less beneficial the Soul Ability. Cards with 1 LP tend to have pretty powerful and game-influencing Soul Abilities. Cards with 2 LP have Soul abilities that are still beneficial, but not so much (some cards with 2 LP don't have a Soul ability at all). Cards with 3 LP tend to either have either neutral or even harmful Soul abilities. The strategy comes in striking a balance between the number of hits you can take and what Soul Abilities you want at your disposal.

*: Grimoire cards do not have LP values or Soul Abilities.
"Select the pistol, and then, select your horse."
reydien

Postby Cr4zy_P1r0m4n14c » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:26 pm

there is one thing i dont get though, so in order to use the max range ur unit will only attack the units directly in front of its range or can u skip a unit and attack the one behind it, also, can u choose whom to attack?
Image Not even kittens are this cute ^_^...or this DEADLY...
Cr4zy_P1r0m4n14c

Postby reydien » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:35 pm

the standard attack option will hit a random enemy unit within range. If the card has RNG=01, then that means it can only attack enemies in the first non-empty row in front of where the card is. Allies count for this, however! That means if you put a card with RNG=01 in the middle row behind another of your own cards, he will not be able to attack.

If the card has a Range of 02 or higher (as high as 05 is possible, apparently), it can attack over the rows in front of it, to a maximum distance of its range. It does not matter if it is "reaching" over a row of allies or a row of enemies. The only way to block a card with high range is to lower its RNG value, force it to move (I'm assuming there will be cards that can do that), or fill up the rows between the enemy card and your card that you want to protect.
"Select the pistol, and then, select your horse."
reydien

Postby DanTheTimid » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:11 pm

Yay, zero suit samus ^_^ I was considering using her as my avatar myself but I still haven't found an avatar thats converting to 90x90 and 6kb with out looking horribly distorted, plus if possible I want to find an Alteil character to use.

Reydien already answered your question but just to reclarify since I"m posting anyways:

No you do not get to choose your target. Your target is chosen randomly from all enemy units within range. The exception to the rule is if your unit has the ability "pinpoint" which allows that unit to choose exactly who it attacks.

You CAN, however, sort of get around randomness with some manipulation of your own field. Lets say your unit has range 2 but the unit you want to hit is in your opponents front row and you don't want to risk hitting the unit in his second row. Move your unit to your second row and then move another of your own units into your front row. Assuming the unit you want to hit is the only unit in your opponents front row you will guarantee that you'll target him. The reason is that your own unit in your front row will be taking up one of your points of range but since he's not a legal target the only legal target is your opponents front row unit.

Now if he has 2 units in his front row theres nothing you can do (outside of Pinpoint), it'll still be random which you'll target, but of course he had to risk making both units vulnerable to range 1 attacks so there was a risk involved when he chose to force you to deal with randomness.

Or atleast thats my understanding of how range and targetting works.
DanTheTimid

Postby Cr4zy_P1r0m4n14c » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:49 pm

^_^ yes it is her zs samus she rox!
thnk u so much guys it makes a lot more sense now from when i got to play it a a-kon

make no mistake i am a guy >.> but samus is just so AWESOME!!!
Image Not even kittens are this cute ^_^...or this DEADLY...
Cr4zy_P1r0m4n14c

PreviousNext

Return to Lapierre Sensei's Classroom