More details on how currency will be used?

Game FAQ and Beginner's Corner

More details on how currency will be used?

Postby DanTheTimid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:52 pm

Ok so based on the FAQ I've gathered a couple things. Theres 2 types of currency, Gran, which you must either spend real money to buy or get through special events (or recycling old cards), and Fight Money, which you get from just playing the game. Both currencies will be used to purchase things, and in many (though I'm not sure if it will apply to all) cases items will have both a Gran and a Fight Money price. From what I understand purchasable items will include Packs from released sets, avatars, items for your avatars, and pets for your avatars.

So does that cover everything that will be sold? Theres no auction house for players to sell individual cards but will individual cards every be sold by the computer? Will everything have both a Gran and Fight Money price or will some things been Gran or Fight Money only? Will there ever be promotional cards that aren't available in packs and if so will they be purchasable from the games shop or will this be a case where because theres no trade system if you missed the event to get them the cards are forever unavailable to you?
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Re: More details on how currency will be used?

Postby Rad!oZonde » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:41 pm

I've looked through the shop during the first night of Alpha. I've noticed that some items only had a Gran price to it. Though it could just be my browser not loading all the information up correctly.
HENSHIN GO!!!
Rad!oZonde

Postby DanTheTimid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:57 pm

Very interesting, while its hardly conclusive evidence its still something. Did you happen to notice or recall which items were the ones which were Gran only? The shop never loaded for me during the Day The Bandwith Died, aka alpha day 1, so I never got to see anything like this. Were the items avatar related, and if so were there other avatar items that had costs for both?
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Kyoshi » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:09 pm

Honestly, when I booted it up on day one I couldn't get the shop to open. Or even see my money. I found the avatar page and clicked the shop but never had anything open on Alpha Day 1 but like I've mentioned before that was the first waking minutes of it and i think 45 minutes later it went down and I never returned to get onto it after that.
alpha428
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." -George Carlin
Kyoshi

Postby Grain » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:40 pm

The idea of Gran only cards scares me.

I was hoping that it would be the other way around, with some very special cards being able to be bought solely with fight money, which would prove that one really has to work to get the greatest rewards in the game.

-Grain
Grain

Postby DanTheTimid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:53 pm

Grain wrote:The idea of Gran only cards scares me.

I was hoping that it would be the other way around, with some very special cards being able to be bought solely with fight money, which would prove that one really has to work to get the greatest rewards in the game.

-Grain

It doesn't surprise me one bit, heck the very fact they're allowing us to acquire anything through just playing the game is nice in and of itself (though in my opinion smart business practice). Look at many other online card games out there, quite a few treat themselves just like real life card games forcing you to buy every card you ever own with real money. Those are the kind of games I don't play and ones that often fail, because while they may bring in a bigger revenue per user, they also bring in far less users. And when theres few users, new players tend to be hesitant to invest any money in the game. After all, not only will finding opponents be hard but if the game goes belly up they're left with nothing to show for it and the game looks like it could go belly up at any time.

Conversely by giving us ways to acquire cards and other things through simply playing the game and giving us the potential to play the game forever for free lots of users can be brought in and alot of users will stay longer because they keep getting new cards through Fight Money even when they can't afford to buy new ones through Gran. Most actual money spending will probably occur when new sets are released but for the rest of the time in between set releases its those little rewards you get just for playing that keep your decks changing and keep things fresh.

In any case, the game IS a business so you can rest assured that they are going to do everything they can to entice you into spending real money to get Gran, and that very well may include having Gran exclusives. Hopefully those things are just special avatars or avatar items and not anything that gives the player an advantage when playing the card game... but thats exactly what I'm trying to find out with this thread.
DanTheTimid

Postby Logress » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:15 am

You guys basically have things right. Cards in the shop are generally random and Gran only, you get non-Gran cards outside of the shop, in treasure battles, for leveling, etc. Most other items in the shop have a both prices, but occasionally there is a limited time Avatar piece for FM only. There is a way to get cards with Fight Money in the Japanese game, it requires a LOT of Fight Money but it's in many ways more special than Gran cards (check out the thread about trading for more info). Also, once the Japanese had a ton of cards out they added a way to buy random cards with FM, but these cards were limited and tagged so they could not be Recycled into Gran. It's a carefully guarded rule in Alteil that FM can never be turned into Gran, and Gran can never be turned into FM. This means that we can offer FM exclusives (Gran exclusives will be less so because shop cards are Gran only already) and also do things like charge a small amount of FM as a tournament entry fee to make sure that everyone who signs up has at least dueled 3 or 4 times before.
Hey, this reminds me of the time when the game was barely working on our server, and a guy in the office didn't have anyone to duel so he played Mirage Master for so long that he built up enough FM to buy his avatar a pet! (if you don't think that's funny, you will when you get a chance to play MM and realize how little FM you get for playing.)
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Grain » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:25 am

Logress wrote:You guys basically have things right. Cards in the shop are generally random and Gran only, you get non-Gran cards outside of the shop, in treasure battles, for leveling, etc. Most other items in the shop have a both prices, but occasionally there is a limited time Avatar piece for FM only. There is a way to get cards with Fight Money in the Japanese game, it requires a LOT of Fight Money but it's in many ways more special than Gran cards (check out the thread about trading for more info). Also, once the Japanese had a ton of cards out they added a way to buy random cards with FM, but these cards were limited and tagged so they could not be Recycled into Gran. It's a carefully guarded rule in Alteil that FM can never be turned into Gran, and Gran can never be turned into FM. This means that we can offer FM exclusives (Gran exclusives will be less so because shop cards are Gran only already) and also do things like charge a small amount of FM as a tournament entry fee to make sure that everyone who signs up has at least dueled 3 or 4 times before.
Hey, this reminds me of the time when the game was barely working on our server, and a guy in the office didn't have anyone to duel so he played Mirage Master for so long that he built up enough FM to buy his avatar a pet! (if you don't think that's funny, you will when you get a chance to play MM and realize how little FM you get for playing.)

I think this makes me feel better...

だろう?

-Grain
Grain

Postby DWildstar » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:41 am

Logress wrote:Hey, this reminds me of the time when the game was barely working on our server, and a guy in the office didn't have anyone to duel so he played Mirage Master for so long that he built up enough FM to buy his avatar a pet! (if you don't think that's funny, you will when you get a chance to play MM and realize how little FM you get for playing.)

Actually I bought a pet AND a new background.
DWildstar

Return to Lapierre Sensei's Classroom