Order of Removng Units

Advanced Rules Discussion

Order of Removng Units

Postby Wintermute » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:24 pm

Scenario:

After an unexpected play, my opponent and I end up with all of our units face down.

I have 3 face down units and 3 LPs left, he has 1 unit face down and 1 LP left.

I can't recover anyone, and apparently neither can he, as our recovery phase passes with neither of us flipping anyone up.

Now, I have 3LPs and 3 face-down units. He, on the other hand, has 1LP and 1 face-down unit. I am confident that I've won, since I had assumed removal of face-down units was something that switched back and forth. Instead, all three of my units were removed in a row before his one and I lost the match. Imagine my surprise.

I can't imagine this situation would come up often, but just for clarity's sake: how is the order determined in which face-down units are removed and sent to the graveyard? Is it random, like the target of an attack? Or is there another criteria?
ImageImage
"There is nothing you can see that is not a flower, nothing you can think of that is not the moon." ~Bashio
Wintermute

Re: Order of Removng Units

Postby Candi » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:26 pm

Order of closing.

If your three units closed first, then his closed - your units will get removed first.

The only other circumstance is if a board clearing effect closes many units at once on both sides of the field (such as a Tempest). In this case then units are removed in the order corresponding to the number on the field - taking *all* of the units from the caster of the effect first then from the other Iczer.
Candi

Postby Wintermute » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:24 pm

So in the case I describe (He played a Tempest, you guessed it), shouldn't he have lost his unit first?
ImageImage
"There is nothing you can see that is not a flower, nothing you can think of that is not the moon." ~Bashio
Wintermute

Postby Candi » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:26 pm

Yes, the grimoire users units should have died first,
at least according to testing found for these threads:

http://www.alteil.com/forum/index.php?f ... =viewtopic
http://www.alteil.com/forum/index.php?f ... =viewtopic

Curious that they didn't, perhaps we got it backwards...
Candi

Postby Wintermute » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:30 pm

It could also be that I'm remembering the game wrong.

Thank you for the information! That's one less thing I'll be wondering about!
ImageImage
Wintermute

Postby Forsakensoul » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:39 am

I could have sworn on a board clearing effect, that it was by the order the units were placed if they all died. So if you placed your 3 units before he placed his 1. then yours would die.
Forsakensoul

Postby DWildstar » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:40 am

Forsakensoul wrote:I could have sworn on a board clearing effect, that it was by the order the units were placed if they all died. So if you placed your 3 units before he placed his 1. then yours would die.

I did the test with annathered on the board clearing. We had full fields and I used a Tempest. My cards died in order of 1-9 and then hers died in the same order. So the Grimoire card users' cards died first.
DWildstar

Postby Forsakensoul » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:54 am

DWildstar wrote:
Forsakensoul wrote:I could have sworn on a board clearing effect, that it was by the order the units were placed if they all died. So if you placed your 3 units before he placed his 1. then yours would die.

I did the test with annathered on the board clearing. We had full fields and I used a Tempest. My cards died in order of 1-9 and then hers died in the same order. So the Grimoire card users' cards died first.

nice to know. Thanks
Forsakensoul

Postby jasta85 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:38 pm

DWildstar wrote:

you say your cards were removed in order of 1-9, by that do you mean they were removed on order of the rows and columns? or by card level?
jasta85

Postby Candi » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:42 pm

jasta85 wrote:
DWildstar wrote:

you say your cards were removed in order of 1-9, by that do you mean they were removed on order of the rows and columns? or by card level?

Order of rows and columns.
Candi

Next

Return to Vordore's War Room