Why removal SSs generally stink. Warning: arithmetic!

Advanced Rules Discussion

Re: Why removal SSs generally stink. Warning: arithmetic!

Postby gadu » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:53 am

Gon,

I don't use Metia or Ladol because Shelby has never, ever failed and costs me 0 SP. I agree the -2SP removals are more fair than other removals (and thus, they are never used) however, it's not just SP arithmatic; you have to consider two things:

1. Field advantage. This is the main draw of using a removal. The reason I think Volfied is the most fair removal is because it just factors in this aspect and not the second aspect. The field advantage alone can sometimes make or break the match and that's why I don't think the second aspect should create any net SP change.

2. SP drain. Something I think the designers failed to appreciate in the early removal SS designs which led to slight nerfs to some removal SS.

As for the so called "risks," in 30 matches so far, my non-shelby removal SS failed to return something just once and I still won the match regardless. I don't feel like I'm taking even the slightest risk and I believe the benefits far outweigh any potential setback. No player has been able to counter it in all those matches and I'd wager that no player will counter it for at least 100 matches.
Abuser Punisher / Callonia
gadu

Postby Callonia » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:26 am

I countered Shelby SS and won the match because of it, silver star zombies raged. I was annoyed, I wanted to see what his next two ss was, and surely enough.. he dueled again, this time against someone and it was public match so i got to see his ss and i was right.. shelby into engaged removal and then third ss was an rasam ss. Basically decided the duel with single Faerie's blessing because he was too dependant with engages.

I think removals is very powerful because people got used to not being able to counter them. My only regret was that faerie's blessing wasn't available during defs era.
Callonia

Postby CainHyde » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:14 am

gadu wrote:The most fair designed removal SS is something like Volksfied (and lo and behold it's the one that I never see used).

Not Pretty Emana?
"Humans fall to corruption.
So too do saints and heroes.
There is no stopping it.
That in itself is salvation."
CainHyde

Postby Icyman2 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:25 am

gadu wrote:The most fair designed removal SS is something like Volkswagen (and lo and behold it'
Icyman2

Previous

Return to Vordore's War Room