Revival without replacement

Advanced Rules Discussion

Revival without replacement

Postby furryjenny » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:28 pm

This is for the contest.

Suppose I have a [card=29]Zombie Lord / Zutageroza[/card] and I buff him up with Alphonce's SS. Now if he dies, and:
1) He restores himself to full hp with his close skill
2) I revive him with [card=307]Healing Priest[/card] later that turn
3) I revive him with [card=305]Instant Revival[/card] during the next turn
Does he keep the DF boost? Or do all permanent stat changes go away automatically when he closes?

I ask this because when you mouse over a closed unit, it will still show the stat changes, as well as the unit at -HP. The changes go away when you revive a unit normally (by paying 1 SP during the Set Phase).
furryjenny

Re: Revival without replacement

Postby Grain » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:40 pm

1 - It keeps its defense

2 and 3 - it doesn't keep its defense

When a unit closes, all its stat changes disappear.
Grain

Postby furryjenny » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:46 pm

All right. Thank you!
furryjenny

Postby DanTheTimid » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:56 pm

Grain is correct but just for a little extra clarification, as you both correctly stated when a unit closes it loses all its stat changes, HOWEVER close skills activate PRIOR to a unit actually closing, sort of in response to the unit being ABOUT to close, thus if a close skill causes a unit to regain enough life to be above 0 hp when the unit actually gets to the part where it would have closed it says "hey my hp's not 0, I'm not closing after all" and thus the unit never actually closes and any stat changes remain.

Its definitely one of the trickier concepts, the fact close skills can activate with out a unit ever actually closing, but it makes sense once you understand that the skill is not activating when the unit closes, but in response to it preparing to close, basically your last minute chance to save a unit from closing or to make use of whatever stat changes you had given it before they're reset.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Logress » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:08 pm

Actually, technically Stats reset upon Revival, not upon closing. Any time you go from fully closed to alive and active it is a revival. For example, if you mouse over a fully closed, flipped over unit, it shows the stats it had when it died. Why is this important? There are actually a few cases where this can help or hurt you in theory. There is one in particular I'm thinking of, can anyone figure out what it is?
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Grain » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:20 pm

Logress wrote:Actually, technically Stats reset upon Revival, not upon closing. Any time you go from fully closed to alive and active it is a revival. For example, if you mouse over a fully closed, flipped over unit, it shows the stats it had when it died. Why is this important? There are actually a few cases where this can help or hurt you in theory. There is one in particular I'm thinking of, can anyone figure out what it is?

That card which can't be obtained currently.
Grain

Postby furryjenny » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:51 am

Ah, that would explain a lot. Thanks Logress!

So that means if I massively debuff Zuta (scylla, etc) I can kill it over and over again and waste my opponent's sp/lp?
furryjenny

Postby kyokaze » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:08 am

Correct, de-buffing self-resurrecting units when your opponent has high sp is usually best to burn it out.
We may not be the strongest but we shall fight to the end! Let us spread our wings and soar to VICTORY!
~ Twilight Angels ~
kyokaze

Postby Harion » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:40 am

healing
My goal is not to win, but to have fun.
But since winning is fun, I can't help but to make winning my goal.
--
Bear killing axe-man was meant to be what it's name suggests - a killer unit. Sadly, there were no bears to kill in Alteil.
Harion

Postby Logress » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:48 pm

No, healing doesn't work on fully closed units (although it does work when the damage and the healing resolve at the same time). But there is one card we have right now that can target a fully closed unit and has an effect dependent on the statistics of that unit... Anyone?
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Next

Return to Vordore's War Room