Revival without replacement

Advanced Rules Discussion

Re: Revival without replacement

Postby hanul » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:22 pm

instant revival?
hanul

Postby Grain » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:38 pm

Logress wrote:No, healing doesn't work on fully closed units (although it does work when the damage and the healing resolve at the same time). But there is one card we have right now that can target a fully closed unit and has an effect dependent on the statistics of that unit... Anyone?

You must be thinking of a card in a future set or a card that's been altered.

The cards that revive & have effects are Skeleton Warrior, Eskatia, Dalos, Annarose, and Abel. None of their skills depend on stats.
Grain

Postby ManiacalSoul » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:44 pm

Hmm I don't think Rutina can revive cards and it wudnt be dependent on their stats anyway... Refuge??? can be good or bad depending on what u return...

Search of cards w/'closed' in skill text brings up: Abel, Holy Light, Guardian Sphinx, Eskatia, Annarose, Retear, Dalos, Skeleton Warrior, Allind, Instant Revival and Refuge.
Search of cards w/'revive' in skill text adds: Aurora, Renally, Healing Priest, Haste Solider and Kurina.
Nothing coming up...
Last edited by ManiacalSoul on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ManiacalSoul

Postby Grain » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:57 pm

Refuge doesn't depend on stats. The card simply has to be level 1, and it doesn't even revive! Rutina sets a card's HP to 1. Logress is mistaken. Aurora & Renally revive certain types of cards, but, they have no other effects & stats don't matter.
Grain

Postby Logress » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:08 pm

First guess got it! It's Instant Revival. Instant Revival can target fully closed units (because it's a revival effect) and it has an effect that is based on a stat. Level is a stat, and the effect is only successful if the level is 4 or lower. Want to stop an infinite Folrart Guardian deck? On the turn she's going to go down for the last time, use your Levande the Time Reader to buff her level to 5. If the enemy doesn't realize and uses Instant Revival anyway, he'll get a nasty surprise when he realizes he can't effect his (now) level 5 Folrart Guardian!
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Grain » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:10 pm

That's not an effect, that's a requirement. An effect is something that happens, not something that's needed for something to happen.

Cthulu is not pleased!
:dalos:

I'll require 10000 gran to quell Cthulu's rage.
Grain

Postby Logress » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:36 pm

I said an "effect DEPENDENT on" the value statistic, not an effect which has its relative power based on the value of a statistic.

The point of this discussion (although not the thread, admittedly) is that by manipulating the statistics of a unit you can have an effect on the game, even when that unit is flipped over. If you don't think it's important, don't come crying to me the next time you try Instant Revival on your Mercenary.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Grain » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:41 pm

Logress wrote:I said an "effect DEPENDENT on" the value statistic, not an effect which has its relative power based on the value of a statistic.

You sunk my battleship. >.<

The point of this discussion (although not the thread, admittedly) is that by manipulating the statistics of a unit you can have an effect on the game, even when that unit is flipped over. If you don't think it's important, don't come crying to me the next time you try Instant Revival on your Mercenary.

It's always something I've been aware of.

Thread derailing is fun, especially when rewards are involved. Do I get honorable mention gran? Congrats, Hanul. ;th2
Grain

Postby furryjenny » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:08 pm

Thread derailing is fun

No, it's not. :evil:

But this was an enlightening and entertaining digression, even though I don't play yellow.

More pop quiz events for gran plz?

EDIT: Which brings me to another hypothetical, this one involving level-dependent effects and Grimoires.

The field is empty except for my Mercenary and his Legrye. I pump merc, he attacks and merc dies. On the next turn I set Instant Revival (still lv4). Can he set Return, and if so, will it have an effect?
furryjenny

Postby Grain » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:58 pm

furryjenny wrote:
Thread derailing is fun

No, it's not. :evil:

But this was an enlightening and entertaining digression, even though I don't play yellow.

More pop quiz events for gran plz?

EDIT: Which brings me to another hypothetical, this one involving level-dependent effects and Grimoires.

The field is empty except for my Mercenary and his Legrye. I pump merc, he attacks and merc dies. On the next turn I set Instant Revival (still lv4). Can he set Return, and if so, will it have an effect?

Mercenary starts at level 3, so, Return will work.
Grain

PreviousNext

Return to Vordore's War Room