LP deduction order

Advanced Rules Discussion

LP deduction order

Postby Fennesz » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:22 pm

Not sure if this should be here or in the beginner section but here goes anyway.

I was in a treasure battle last night, I had 1 LP left and a single salamander out. My opponent had 3 LP, and lots of weak units, so I decided to fireball them for fun and say GG. Next turn, he loses 3 dead units before I lose my 1 LP, and I won.

Why? Shouldn't we take turns in losing a life?
Fennesz

Re: LP deduction order

Postby DWildstar » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:28 pm

Cards die in the order that they were killed in, was your salamander killed only after you killed his?
DWildstar

Postby Fennesz » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:08 pm

Ah, ok. I'm not even sure of the specifics now, but it seemed wrong to both of us.
Fennesz

Postby Xovian » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:41 pm

DWildstar wrote:Cards die in the order that they were killed in, was your salamander killed only after you killed his?

Not entirely true.
While the general rule of thumb, it is indeed true, there is one time this is not the case and it should be noted.

The term of difference is mass effect from either side.
Lawtia's Dragon Emperor is a prime example (EX Broken Soldier ability, Dalos, ect ect, eg: board clearing effects)

When a mass effect happens that effects multiple units at one time and closes them, it is the numbered slot they are on that determines the order they leave play. Remember every character/unit is placed on a numbered slot 1-2-3 for front row, 4-5-6 for second row, and 7-8-9 for the back row for each side.

In the case of Lawt's Emp, which affects both sides, the controlling person of the Emperor will have their cards removed first.

The Break down:
1> Cards will resolve closing in the order they are killed. (Which can win and loose games).
2> If multiple cards are closed only on one side, it will take into account rule number 1, however once the mass effect goes into the resolution stage it will resolve in order of the placement by number. (EX: Card in slot 1 will always close before a card in slot 2 when calculating creatures being closed by a mass effect).
3>A mass effect that effects both sides and closes creatures on both sides will have the controlling player (of what ever caused said mass effect) to have their side effected first. In other words if you play Lawt's dragon emp, and his death effect closes creatures on both sides of the board, your creatures will always resolve first.

This is based on the game at Set 2's release.
I've been gone for a good while, but from experience it seems this is still an active mechanic in the game, and is expected.
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Postby DWildstar » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:49 pm

Yep, Xovian is correct, and yes it's still the way it works ;) I just answered in terms of non-mass extinction situation because that's what it sounded like but wasn't entirely sure.
DWildstar

Postby Xovian » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:36 pm

DWildstar wrote:Yep, Xovian is correct, and yes it's still the way it works ;) I just answered in terms of non-mass extinction situation because that's what it sounded like but wasn't entirely sure.

Yea you answered the direct question, but i remember back when i was more of a common name here that many people did not know the terms changed once multiple closing effects happened at once, which really wasnt viable pre-Set 2. Figured I'd just add to the statement, because not knowing can give some undesired surprises, which I had found from testing.

So hopefully it can answer other LP deduction order questions that may arise.
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Postby Escaflowne » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:10 am

If there is an order on how closed cards are resolved, can there ever be a draw?
I just couldn't think of how a draw could take place, and if it does take place, what happens? Do they split the prize?
"Aim for the unstoppable future and embrace the unyielding wish."
Escaflowne

Postby Otonashi » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:13 am

I think the only way to have a draw occur is to have the turn limit run out. And a draw is pretty much the same as both players losing, IIRC, except you still get a little bit of gran towards weekly allowance. (Win is 2, draw is 1, loss is -1)
Otonashi

Postby DWildstar » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:07 am

Escaflowne wrote:If there is an order on how closed cards are resolved, can there ever be a draw?
I just couldn't think of how a draw could take place, and if it does take place, what happens? Do they split the prize?

Logress' Official Master Stack Resolution thread explains the order of everything that happens.

As for a draw there are a number of ways it can happen. One time someone used Rivera's skill which sent everyone's cards to the cemetery in the same turn that my assassin soul skill also sent my last card along with their last card to the cemetery emptying both our fields. With nothing else to play we had to skip our turns until it was a draw.

The other times something like this happened my opponent had a Dragon Zombie or other regenerating unit and a ton of SP and I had a brutal inquisitor which took that card's turn away. Basically I couldn't damage him fast enough and he couldn't hit me at all so it ended in a draw.
DWildstar

Return to Vordore's War Room