Official Master Stack Resolution

Advanced Rules Discussion

Official Master Stack Resolution

Postby Logress » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:40 pm

WARNING! Insanely complicated!

I'm putting together an official master stack resolution. Doing careful experimenting I've found all kinds of weird things... Like Counter and Close skills don't just have different triggers, they actually resolve differently... (although we all suspected that after Coatl Tennis) and Auto and Start skills don't just happen at different times, they also resolve differently!

Please check it out and tell me if anything seems wrong

DISCLAIMER
The Duel is divided into Battle Phases, where certain events take place each turn. These events are automated, and everything is taken care of by the computer. You will be prompted whenever it’s time to make a decision, so it’s not necessary to learn exactly what happens in each phase. However, when planning out advanced strategies, this knowledge can be invaluable.

Master Stack Resolution

SET PHASE

1) Units Disengage
2) SP Generation
3) Deploy
4) Revival or Burial
5) Raise Sphere Levels / Set Card

ACTIVE PHASE
6) Revival
7) Take the Field
8) Battletime Change
9) Sphere Level Up
10) Rank Up
11) Reveal Cards
12) Backlashing
13) Grimoire Open Skills
14) Unit Open Skills (In order of AGI.)
15) Damage from all Open Skills Resolved (See Damage Resolution mini-phase)
16) Burial / SP Return of one unit (In order the units killed. In case of mass extinction, the Iczer who initiated the destruction loses units first. Also, units are removed by location on the battle grid, in numerical order.)
17) Damage from all Soul Skills triggered by that Burial are Resolved (See Damage Resolution mini-phase)
18) Repeat 15 and 16 until all applicable units are Buried.

ACTION PHASE
19) Start Skills of one unit (In order of AGI.)
20) Damage from all Start Skills of one unit Resolved (See Damage Resolution mini-phase)
21) Repeat 19 and 20 until all units have their Start Skills Resolved.
22) Unit Action sub-phase (In order of AGI.)
a. Auto Skill (If there are multiple, only do one)
b. Damage from one Auto Skill Resolved (See Damage Resolution mini-phase)
c. Repeat 1 and 2 until all Auto Skills are Resolved.
d. Action Menu
e. Damage from Action Skill is Resolved (See Damage Resolution mini-phase) including caused by Soul Skills triggered as a result of an Action Skill.
23) Repeat Unit Action sub-phase until all units are Closed or Engaged.

INTERRUPTS

LP Damage mini-phase (Entered whenever LP damage is done, including Burial)
1) Soul Skills activate if applicable. (Will trigger a nested HP Damage mini-phase or an LP Damage mini-phase if the Soul Skill does HP or LP Damage.)

HP Damage mini-phase (Entered whenever HP damage is done but BEFORE the Damage Resolution Mini-phase.)
1) Counter Skill initiates if applicable and target HP >0 (but does not necessarily take effect immediately). Put the Counter Skill at the end of the Counter Queue. If multiple Counter Skill units are hit simultaneously, they will ALL go into the queue based on location on the battle grid, in numerical order. If multiple Counter Skills are triggered by an effect with the wording “This effect is repeated X times” they are entered into the Counter Queue after the repetitions are complete, but only if the Counter Skill units have HP>0 at that time.
2) All the Counter Skills in the Counter Queue go off in order. If at any time this triggers a nested HP Damage mini-phase, put any resulting Counters in the Counter Queue and then continue.

Damage Resolution Mini-phase
1) Close Skill initiates if applicable and target HP <1 (but does not necessarily take effect immediately). Put the Close Skill at the end of the Close Cue. (If multiple Close Skill units are hit simultaneously, they will ALL go into the queue based on location on the battle grid, in numerical order.)
2) All the Close Skills in the Close Queue go off in order. If one triggers another Close Skill, add it to the Close Queue and continue. (Will trigger a nested HP Damage mini-phase or an LP Damage mini-phase if a Close Skill does HP or LP Damage.)
3) Units at 0 HP or below are CLOSED.

NOTES:

Damage Resolution mini-phases CANNOT occur within HP Damage or LP Damage mini-phases. Whenever Damage is resolved, it’s also resolved for any outstanding nested mini-phases, so everything Closes at once.

For Open Skills all damage is resolved at the same time, while for Start skills they are resolved unit by unit, for Soul Skills Burial by Burial (or Action Command by Action Command), and Auto Skills one skill at a time.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Re: Official Master Stack Resolution

Postby InigoMontoya » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:49 pm

Incredibly useful! Thank you!!! ;th2
InigoMontoya

Postby Grain » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:01 pm

Better late than never. It's quite virtuous of Logress to do this by his own will. Thank you.
Grain

Postby ANIMEniac » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:53 pm

Quite a hefty amount of info there Logress.

Let me add a little something to it. It's quite an interesting mechanic I've run into with Soublade vs Guardian.

Soulblade uses skill to deal damage and trigger Assassin SS
Assassin SS revealed
Guardian Counter activates
Unit takes damage
Close Skills activate
SS Resolves
Units close

Quite interesting since i can sacrifice a unit that was "killed" by Guardian's counter since it does not close until after the SS has resolved.
ANIMEniac

Postby Logress » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:31 pm

That makes sense with my little list, since units are closed only after all counter and close loops finished.

Although, my bit about nesting loops for counters and closes might be unnecessarily complicated. It might work to say:

When a HP Damage mini-phase is triggered, check to see if the activation conditions of Counter or Close skills are met, if so...

1) Put the Counter or Close into a Queue in the order they're triggered. Counters are always added behind the last Counter, but ahead of the first Close. Closes are added at the end of the Queue. If multiple events are triggered at one time, put them
in based on location on the field, in numerical order. If there is an existing Queue, add them to that.

2) Proceed through the Queue letting the Counters or Closes take effect. If doing so generates another Counter or Close, return to step 1.
Logress

Postby Logress » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:37 am

Okay, here is my new queue-based description of how Counters and Closes are resolved:

HP Damage mini-phase (Entered whenever HP damage is done but BEFORE damage is resolved.)
1) Counter Skill initiates if applicable and target HP >0 (but does not necessarily take effect immediately). Put the Counter Skill at the end of the Counter Queue. (If multiple Counter Skill units are hit simultaneously, they will ALL go into the queue based on location on the battle grid, in numerical order.)
2) Close Skill initiates if applicable and target HP <1 (but does not necessarily take effect immediately). Put the Close Skill at the end of the Close Cue. (If multiple Close Skill units are hit simultaneously, they will ALL go into the queue based on location on the battle grid, in numerical order.)
3) All the Counter Skills in the Counter Queue go off in order. If at any time this triggers a nested HP Damage mini-phase, put any resulting Counters or Closes in their queues and then continue.
4) Once the Counter Queue is completely empty, the Close skills in the Close Queue go off in order. If at any time this triggers a nested HP Damage mini-phase, put any resulting Counters or Closes in their queues and then continue.

Which do you like better, Queue based or my original loop based? Which is easier to understand and more useful.
Logress

Postby Phenoca » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:14 pm

Logress wrote:(If multiple Close Skill units are hit simultaneously, they will ALL go into the queue based on location on the battle grid, in numerical order.)

go into the queue by numerical location on the battle grid (1 to 9), ascending (i.e. the units in locations 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 will have their Close Skills activate before the unit in 9).

And if River of Fire closes two units at the same time, which are in the same location? E.g. Front-row tanks on both sides of the field close simultaneously?

I liked the loop-based, because it was less wordy. But then again - I know what to expect. Your recent-version allows for less confusion. You could put the recent one as a footnote : D

Just be more specific on how a mini-phase can be ended by the HP falling below 0 before the Counter Skill activates. In fact, the latter version is MUCH better! Just spell "cue" as "queue".

In fact, you need to restate that if a unit's HP falls below 0 then its Counter Skill is immediately removed from the Counter Queue, without ever activating.

But you know what is even more important? I want to know what AT+0-->30 means?
When combat monk's attack read "Triple Attack" I thought that it meant that it hits once, twice, thrice, or not-at-all. But AT+0-->30 appears like it hits for AT + an integer from 0-30, where value "mod" 10 = 0.

Maybe [damage: AT+(0-30)]..? No, that still doesn't make sense.
I believe [damage: AT->AT+30] would make more sense, if it is actually the case (I still do not understand Combat Monk's Triple Attack).
flood + Pakistan = hunger
Phenoca

Postby saavedra » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:59 pm

What order do grimoire open skills resolve? For example, if my Dalos has 30 hp left, and you play a grimoire to deal 30 damage to him at the same time I play one to heal him, what determines which one goes off first?
saavedra

Postby Xovian » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:08 pm

saavedra wrote:What order do grimoire open skills resolve? For example, if my Dalos has 30 hp left, and you play a grimoire to deal 30 damage to him at the same time I play one to heal him, what determines which one goes off first?

Grimoire's are random for order if each person plays one on the same turn.
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Postby Logress » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:52 pm

the damage itself will not resolve until all Grims and normal Open skills are done, so if you're healing, you want the healing to go off second to save your unit (even if he goes into negatives). This is why healing open skills are so nifty.
Logress

Next

Return to Vordore's War Room