New Strategy Section, call for Strategy articles

Advanced Rules Discussion

New Strategy Section, call for Strategy articles

Postby Logress » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:31 pm

Okay, we have a new strategy section which is tentatively called "Modifying Card Files." Thrilling, I know. If anyone has a better name, let 'er rip. In here I'll attempt to teach a basic or maybe advanced strategy by showing "before" and "after" screengrabs of a File and discussing how the changes made it stronger:

http://www.alteil.com/index.php/strateg ... card-files

Simple right? Not only is this a good learning tool... with PICTURES which everyone loves (so you can get the idea without even reading my long-winded discussion), but the title of the article will include the basic file type, so a new user looking for ideas or trying to get the basics of deck building (or who just wants an idea of what a playable card file of X type looks like) can just go through articles and skim them, looking at card file after card file.

Unfortunately, it will only serve that purpose if there is LOTS of them, and now there is... well, one. Therefore, I'm putting a call out to anyone who would like to put one together. To submit, you'll need two screengrabs, (a before and after,) and some text. Look at my example article first. As you can see, I show a Gowen Rush file off, but I use it to discuss a basic point of File construction, LP. It's probably not too useful to show "how to make an awesome Wizard Kingdom deck more awesome" as the focus of your article, but maybe "balancing the number of level 1, 2, 3 and 4 units in your file" could be the point, and the example would be a Wizard Kingdom deck, which would become more awesome as a consequence. My example is also pretty basic, but a wide range of topics could be used.

If you send us an article (and at least 2 screengrabs), and we post it, you'll get 10 Point Cards, a credit on our site, and the knowledge you made Lavato a better place.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Re: New Strategy Section, call for Strategy articles

Postby luckysvn777 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:47 pm

Link doesn't work for me.

And can we send in more than one article? I want to see what the first one is all about, but I wouldn't mind helping out with this, even if there wasn't a nice generous reward
luckysvn777

Postby DarthRaider » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:23 pm

luckysvn777 wrote:Link doesn't work for me.

It works for me.

At first, when you're asked to login (username, password), the link doesn't work. You have to click Back, click on the link Logress gave again, and then it should work again. (it's annoying though)
MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! >:D

My Accounts:
BurninNuckle - Gowen
RisingOcean - Falkow
HeavenWingz - Refess
DarthRaider - Lawtia
DarthRaider

Postby DarthRaider » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:27 pm

Error: In paragraph 2, you mentioned that your card file has THREE Primrose. In the picture, there are only 2.

My Accounts:
BurninNuckle - Gowen
RisingOcean - Falkow
HeavenWingz - Refess
DarthRaider - Lawtia
DarthRaider

Postby Logress » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Well the link is fixed...
And multiple submissions are welcomed.
Logress

Postby DarthRaider » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:50 pm

Can you submit an article that discusses 2 different problems in one single file?

My Accounts:
BurninNuckle - Gowen
RisingOcean - Falkow
HeavenWingz - Refess
DarthRaider - Lawtia
DarthRaider

Postby Logress » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:05 pm

You could, but I think it would be easier to understand if you divided it up. If you noticed, my whole lesson could be summed up in a sentence, but it took me all that text to explain it in the context of building the file.
Logress

Postby Xovian » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:18 pm

Just curious Logress, should such files focus on making them better but with a limited card pool, or an assortment of cards?

An example of say a "falkow start" file:
Maybe a given file always starts with Haste Soldier.

Now for most players who have experience, there are typically two better openings for Falkow.
-The cheaper and often a good option, Witch (1 Star) opening because she can return any level 2 or 1 on turn two.
-The bit more difficult to get, but just as worthy, Witch Queen / Catherina (5 Star).

A lot of how someone could tone up their files is going to be very dependent on the cards they have on hand.
To me at least, a view on which way is the more preferred method of getting files submitted might be called for.

Do we give the "best" possible solution, or do we retain a view of how rare some of the cards are and the likely hood that any given player will be able to play them?

And just one final note, the pics of the file look kinda just thrown together. Maybe its just me, but i tend to make them "more orderly" so i can easily view what i have by row.
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Postby Logress » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:36 pm

The lesson should be something general, like "decide on your opening ahead of time" then your example can be specific, like you said. If your example has rare cards, I'd mention some alternates in the text, like I did with Primrose.
Logress

Postby Harion » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:39 pm

oh, deck building guides eh?
i was thinking of creating an article that was more a general guide
some of the stuff that's not really taught but which spell the difference
between a good and bad iczer...

stuff about sp management, burning sp, avoiding sp sink holes
when to revive and when not to revive
when to let an ss activate and when not to
what are the general strategies for each sphere that not very good players understand
example: lawtia players that keep looking for a stomp and burn strategy
or doesn't understand that the whole concept of lawtia is synergizing your ss's with sacrificing units
and burning your LP to get advantage
most don't even realize each sphere have a common theme good for their ss lineup
for example, you're not playing gowen right if you're playing a stalling tactic
that's refess' game
My goal is not to win, but to have fun.
But since winning is fun, I can't help but to make winning my goal.
--
Bear killing axe-man was meant to be what it's name suggests - a killer unit. Sadly, there were no bears to kill in Alteil.
Harion

Next

Return to Vordore's War Room