Order of Removal

Advanced Rules Discussion

Order of Removal

Postby GonFreeces31 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:52 pm

Okay I had a game verse AzureWrath today where a very strange situation come up and I had no clue how to handle it.

Crest Halbred in spot 1. Leilin in spot 2. Skel warrior SS on deck. Leilin dies, close skill activates and kills halbred. Then both cards die.

I couldn't figure out what rule would get implemented for removal? Would Leilin get removed first cause she died first? Or do they both "die" at the same time cause of the close skills and halbred gets removed first cause he's in slot number one?
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Re: Order of Removal

Postby luckysvn777 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:34 pm

Well, when using Spores, much to my dismay I find that Spores tends to activate first over anything it kills with its close skill. I'm not even close to sure that this would be the case here, but it might be similar. My vote is for Lelein, then halberd
luckysvn777

Postby Gota » Tue May 11, 2010 3:34 pm

lelein first.
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby Phenoca » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:54 pm

Cards are removed in the order that they close. If two cards close at the same time, then:
1) If they closed due to a 'do damage to multiple random enemies' then the order is random.
2) If they closed due to an area-of-effect damage, then the order is position 1, then position 2, then position 3, then position 4, etc.

Though if a card had a close skill revive, like say Revenant in position 1 receiving Max HP -40, then it may actually be removed last due to its auto-revive skill making it close after everything else.
flood + Pakistan = hunger
Phenoca

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:39 pm

This was back from may! But I still can't figure this out. Lelein does leave play first before Halbred, but why?

I checked the "damage resolution miniphase" in the rulebook:

Damage Resolution Mini-phase
1) Close Skill initiates if applicable and target HP <1 (but does not necessarily take effect immediately). Put the Close Skill at the end of the Close Cue. (If multiple Close Skill units are hit simultaneously, they will ALL go into the queue based on location on the battle grid, in numerical order.)
2) All the Close Skills in the Close Queue go off in order. If one triggers another Close Skill, add it to the Close Queue and continue. (Will trigger a nested HP Damage mini-phase or an LP Damage mini-phase if a Close Skill does HP or LP Damage.)
3) Units at 0 HP or below are CLOSED.

So Leilin's HP is below 0, enter this resolution mini-phase, her close skill activates. Then she sets Halbred to HP 0, his close skill gets added to the Queue (due to rule #2) and goes off. Then looking at this, from rule 3 shouldn't both Lelein and Halbred become closed at the same time? They don't finally become closed until after the damage is resolved in this miniphase, and when it gets to the end they should both become closed at once. Then, why doesn't the mass extinction rule take effect so that the unit in spot 1 gets removed before the unit in spot 2?
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Politikas » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:14 am

Like one of my MTG playing friends once said "there is no stack, forget it" (you have to play MTG to understand this reference). As I see it, its simple, if something dies first, it goes out first, lelein died first, and Gons musings about halberd "going on stack" is out of place.
Politikas

Postby azurewrath » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:44 am

I think knowing how Magic works actually hinders my ability to play here. I'm too used to resolving things one at a time before moving on x.x
azurewrath

Return to Vordore's War Room