"Engage" vs "Is engaged"

Advanced Rules Discussion

"Engage" vs "Is engaged"

Postby GonFreeces31 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:47 am

Just want to clarify this. Sometimes the text says, A) "Engage target unit..." whereas sometimes it says B) "Target unit is engaged..."

I'm interpreting this as... if it says A, then you can only engage a unit that is currently disengaged, since the way it is written implies an active engaging action. In case B, you can click on units that are either engaged or disengaged since it says this in a passive voice.

Does this make sense? And does it actually work this way?
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Re: "Engage" vs "Is engaged"

Postby Otonashi » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:59 am

I thought they both meant the same thing. Usually it will say "target disengaged unit" if it meant you can't target engaged units.
Otonashi

Postby fargone » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:50 pm

Without looking at the specific cards, I think Oto is right. The translations have been inconsistent. (!?)
GonFreeces31 wrote:
fargone wrote:I realise this is completely off topic, but Icy deserves the limelight more than others. Some of whom dominate the forums with their endless posts.

What, I make legit points too...
fargone

Postby Logress » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:57 pm

Possibly my mistake, although I often have to shave off a few letters when writing text (for space reasons) and that makes it difficult to be consistent with previous cards.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby GonFreeces31 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:57 am

So just to clarify, as oto said, unless it says "engage target disengaged unit," you can engage a unit that's either engaged or disengaged?
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Otonashi » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:49 pm

I'm fairly certain... There's bound to be a typo somewhere though. However, I do have two examples. Rasam, both her action skill and her soul skill, is able to hit engaged enemy units. (And, actually use both wordings you mentioned in the first post) However, Enormous Frog is unable to target engaged units, and his card text includes the "disengaged enemy unit" phrase.
Otonashi

Postby Spears » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:41 pm

iirc split second and i think charity dont work if the unit is already engaged either.
Spears

Postby methebest » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:01 am

split second doesnt i found out in the most crappyist of ways song sorc ss and petrafication
i apologise for any incomprehensible posts as i tend to make them
methebest

Postby kudaotai » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:00 am

lol. im a having a hard time too when i started this game in early September. I think the used word should be change.

Engaged-->deactivated, deactivate
disengage-->active, activate, activated

things like 'target disengaged unit' should be 'target active unit'

things like 'engage target disengaged unit' should be 'deactivate target active unit'

English is not my native language, so it took me a quite sometimes to grasp the 'engage disengage' idea. I think the wording should be change to easier and more understandable language.

PS: I'm sorry that I wasn't born in either America or England. My English are so bad i could kill myself. :cry:
UnderDog Battle
Hard Game

FOR REAL MEN
Kids Stay Away
kudaotai

Postby garcia1000 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:44 am

They were trying to mirror the tapped/untapped usage in MtG without violating retarded copyright/trademark things.

Active/inactive is better obv
"Pixies are all level 2, right? So why not try to drop cyclone on them?"
garcia1000

Next

Return to Vordore's War Room