The reason for Backlash?

Advanced Rules Discussion

Re: The reason for Backlash?

Postby Logress » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:27 pm

Only characters talk to each other, but if you put Shathia and Lapierre out they will bicker with each other (Lapierre is technically the first shrine Leader). Some characters take it personally when an ally is on the other side, others just take it as an opportunity to finally have a match with someone they looked up to.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Moozze » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:28 am

I once got 4 backlashes in a row, that was pretty funny :D I kind of like the rule. It prevents people from using the exact same strategy when playing against a similar deck than their own.
Annoying.
Moozze

Postby Hakuro de Killer » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:22 pm

I just battled somebody and, keeping count, we had eight backlashes over the course of about 15 turns or so. That was amusing because the guy used the EXACT opening strategy I used among other things.
Hakuro de Killer

Postby reydien » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:45 pm

I run into that a lot in Gowen vs Gowen matches. The Gowen starter deck is pretty straightforward, you only really have 2 first-turn plays, so it's about a 50-50 chance of backlash on turn one. From there, it's pretty much up to the players to continue the streak. My current record is 11 in a row: Kurina x2, Combat Monk x3, Lightning Archer x2, Brave Soldier x3, Berserker x1. After that he played another berserker, but I had swapped my second berserker out, so the streak ended. It's interesting "starting" a game with half your card file already in the cemetery; he had a LP card or two that brought cards back from the cemetery, so he won, barely.
"Select the pistol, and then, select your horse."
reydien

Postby Lusankya » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:28 pm

I'm not sure anyone has posted this yet as I didn't have time to read the whole 3 pages before heading off to work but the meaning is pretty clear to me:

1) If both players play a grimiore card that is the same, which goes into affect first? Random would work, but be extremely annoying. What the other player gets to play his <Insert powerful Card here> before I do?
(I.e.) I play card X, and rival plays card X. His card X strikes first, and not my card X is useless. Now I'm screwed cause we played the same card?

2) You're not allowed to have 2 of the same character cards out, so if you play character at the same time, its backlash. That way you can't get around the "character" rule by both playing that character at the same time.

just my 2 cents. :)
Lusankya

Postby Grain » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:14 pm

Lusankya wrote:If both players play a grimiore card that is the same, which goes into affect first? Random would work, but be extremely annoying. What the other player gets to play his <Insert powerful Card here> before I do?

If any two cards are the same, a backlash will occur and neither will activate. This rule stands for grimoires and well as units & characters.

If two different cards with open skills are played, they will activate in random order.
You're not allowed to have 2 of the same character cards out, so if you play character at the same time, its backlash. That way you can't get around the "character" rule by both playing that character at the same time.

The character rule only applies to cards while they are on the field. If a character card has been sent to the cemetary or returned to your card file, the same character card can be played again, even by your opponent.
Grain

Postby shyster » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:56 pm

I believe what Lusankya was trying to say, was what he said. I do not believe they were questions but rather answers given from the point of view of a player.

For example: My opponent and I both play counterattack, I have a single skelly out, and my opponent has numerous small low life units left, 30 or below. If his counterattack came out before mine, because of the usual random roll that occurs for units with the same agi, then it would be unfair. That was the reason for backlash as stated by Lusankya.

Similarly for characters if the backlash rule was only something that occured for characters when one was in play and a second tryed to come out. Then if two were played at the same time, it would again be unfair if random, was the deciding factor in who got to play a character.

As for my own cents, about five or so, I say that when two units are played at the same time, it is tantamount to a mutual kill, since in most instances two units will always be able to kill eachother and again random being the deciding factor would be total BS.

I personally have both lost and won games, because of good and bad rolls with random, and while it is a very nervewracking and by extension exciting aspect of the game, to add random to things that are equal leaves too much unknown.
shyster

Postby Logress » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:45 pm

It's also a good be all end all stop gap against an overpowered splash card. For example, Big Blue is pretty tough right now, and I don't know if it's evolved past this, but a few weeks ago backlashing great spirits was a really great way to mess up BB's timing.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Peralisc2 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:01 am

I spotted a necromancer!

I always wondered why the backlash rules exist.
I like the character backlashing but the unit backlash is not always meaningful. For example when both players play a combat monk, why not let them break their heads over it, if it's the first or second round?
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby MyPixelGirl » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:00 am

my interpretation of this is when 2 starter sets face each other and does the same thing (which happens pretty often), without backslash the whole game would just be based on a dice roll of which unit goes first, since they all have the same agility.
MyPixelGirl

PreviousNext

Return to Vordore's War Room