Need help Refess deck!

Advanced Rules Discussion

Need help Refess deck!

Postby Zhao Yun » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:49 am

;a41 So i keep losing, and not like ur average lose, i mean like, "why do u even bother to keep playin" kinda losing, i have good cards its just i do no how to use um,
if someone could help me think of a good stratagy or wat cards i could put in the make it better of a deck i would really enjoy it =^.^=
Thankies!

{Unit Cards}
Lion Baron(x2)
Folrart Paladin(x3)
Light Spearwomen(x3)
Folrart Spear Knight(x3)
Blessed Acolyte(x3)
Song Sorcress(x2)
Ruby Carbuncle(x3)
Priest Of Holy Word(x1)[card=]http://login.alteil.com/cardDB/detail.php?id=194[/card]
Kesaran Pasaran(x1)

{Grimoire Cards}
Magic Blot (Refess lvl x5 damage to 1 ememy)
Holy Light (Revive All Closed Friendlies)
Judgement Hammer (refess lvl x10 damage to 2 enemies){ignore def.}
Blessing (1 Friendly Get Max HP+20, HP+20, AT+10, and DF+5)

{Soul Cards}
Sylph Sorceress (All friendly +2 agi){LP2}
Lycanthrope[Seraph] (Refess lvl +3){LP1}
Pergrine Paladin (30 Damage to an enemy unit(x2)){LP1}
Moonight Warr. (30 damage to random row of enemy){LP2)
Moonight Warr. (30 damage to random row of enemy){LP2)
Zhao Yun

Re: Need help Refess deck!

Postby Romdeau » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:08 am

Your card list doesn't seem too impressive and from what I see here I don't understand why you would use Seraph as a SC-you only have one higher level Refess card (judgement hammer) so it doesn't seem like it's worth including. I'm not sure if you've gone through 1-10 considering the lower number of cards you have, but I can't believe you managed to snag a Larut-keep him for sure, but I'd spread out the moonlights-I really don't like random row damagers either, but if that's all you have that's what you're gonna have to use. I'd consider tossing the song, but if you think it's worth it-then play it. I know I used to consider it when I played Refess a loooooooooooooooooooong time ago.
Romdeau

Postby Grain » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:17 pm

The only Refess strategy that works currently is high level cards. such as Coatl, Holy Dragon, Burning Sun+Spore, etc.

Don't even bother with anything else.

Before the expansion, DanTheTimid was #1 Refess Iczer. He said his file had no cards higher than level 3. If he posts in this thread, listen closely. Even he has left Refess. It's truly inferior to the other spheres.

Note:His avatar is female.

-Grain, Refess Iczer since launch
Grain

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:57 pm

Refess's inherient flaw in the english version of the game is that they lack great level 1s like all the other spheres have, this makes it very difficult if not impossible to go toe to toe with the other spheres at low level play. Your way around this, as grain pointed out, is to concede the early low level game, either not playing low levels at all or only using your low levels as stalling tools to get to your big levels.

Assuming you don't have access to Refess good big levels (or simply don't want to take that route) the best suggestions I have for your current deck...

Remove Lion Baron. Its not that he's not decent, its that you only have 2 and as such he's a liability since most of the time your not going to want to give up his field presence after only 2 deaths. If you get a third copy feel free to add him back in.

Remove Priest of Holy Word. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the card in general, but with only 1 copy of him he's a significant liability. Once again feel free to try him out again when you get 3 copies.

I MIGHT suggest running an extra Kessaran Passaran or two. As a level 1 who doesn't provide much field presence running 3 of him isn't essential, heck you can get away with only running 1 as you are now, but he is probably the best of Refesses level 1s and if your going the low level route having atleast something you can play in that 1sp slot can prove very useful so its just something to consider.

If you have access to any Folrart Spike Shield Knight and Priestess of Holy Weapon are both solid level 3 units that can really help out a low level refess strategy.

Remove Energy Bolt and Holy Light. Energy Bolt CAN be good, but only in a high level deck where your naturally going to need to be getting to high refess levels to play your big units anyway. For a low to mid level refess it really isn't worth running, your better off splashing salamanders if you feel you really need some small direct damage. As for Holy Light, in my opinion the card is just trash, there are very few situations in which its actually useful, most of the time the times when it would be useful you don't have the sp for it, the times you have the sp for it its not really useful.

Remove Seraphs. Your not running high levels so its not really worth it as a soul card. If you have any inquisition raid leaders they make great soul cards and are common though I'm guessing you don't since your running moonlights. You might consider replacing it with a nice damaging 1LP card and then switching it with the Sylph Sorceress, its generally best to use the early game to gain field advantage, then the middle game to boost your field.

Those are just my thoughts, feel free to take them for what you will.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Logress » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:24 pm

I would consider replacing soul cards 2 and 4, maybe with Rapidshot Magic Archer or Assassin. I'd try to put in one copy of cure, as well. Your Spear Knight is really fragile, you need a really solid way to defend him if you want to get much use out of him. For example, switching Zagar out with a front line tank you have 3 copies of (Griffin?), or splashing Dryads. Even the will o wisp can get him out of the 30 hp or less tissue-paper danger zone. If you can't get him to survive, you may need to switch him out. Try to set up so you can set off your +2 AGI soul card when you have at least three of your higher HP units on the field (Folrart Paladin needs to be one of them). You may need to move it to your second slot if the timing doesn't work out. Work out a plan for when you want to be burning SP and when you want to be bringing out units, and make sure your cards support that. Light Spearwoman and Folarart Spear Knight can make it easy to burn through all your SP early. Remember, units invest SP, because you get it back when they die, but using special abilities burns that SP away.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Zhao Yun » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:15 pm

;a41 All great suggestions! Ill try some of them out and post the results of my efforts^^
Zhao Yun

Postby Zhao Yun » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:48 pm

;a41 everything a-go!!! my deck kiks ****(well to me it does) thx everyone for your ideas^^ ;a41 Refess 4Ev3R!
Zhao Yun

Postby Sanguifer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:18 pm

Grain wrote:The only Refess strategy that works currently is high level cards. such as Coatl, Holy Dragon, Burning Sun+Spore, etc.

Don't even bother with anything else.

Before the expansion, DanTheTimid was #1 Refess Iczer. He said his file had no cards higher than level 3. If he posts in this thread, listen closely. Even he has left Refess. It's truly inferior to the other spheres.

Note:His avatar is female.

-Grain, Refess Iczer since launch

What levels are we talking here, if I may ask? Thing is, I've just gotten to lvl 3 ( yeah, yeah. Newbie here :) ), and with a 9-win-streak no less - and now I have the card choice of one of the four dragons. Initially, I was thinking of getting the water dragon for the soul ability (50 dmg to all gowen creatures? Hell yeah!), since up until now I've been playing creatures of lvl 1 - 3 only, and the friggin holy dragon is lvl 7 o.O

However, if You can convince me that I'll be having loads of trouble in crest without the high-level-cards strategy, I guess I should pick the holy one after all.

Anyways; modded starter deck which I'm having great success with (13 wins, 2 losses, 9-winning-streak):

3-ofs:
blessed acolyte, folrart knight captain, folrart paladin, folrart dual-wielder, priest of the holy word
2-ofs:
Will'o the Wisp, Kesaran Pasaran, Foltart Spear Knight
1-ofs:
Cassowary King
Grimoires:
Standard three - shield up, recovery powder, blessing
Soul Cards:
Magic Doll, Magic Doll, Brutal Inquisitor, Rapidshot Magic Archer, Zagar

Right now, if I could make any changes, I'd try upping the Cassowary King to 2-of status, and replacing Brutal inquisitor with the 2 Lp 30 row dmg one. Zagar doesn't have to be there either, I just found him more useful than the guardian sphinx in that slot (and respectively the king in the sphinx slot in the deck), seeing as nullified defense more often than not means death with this file, anyways - I'd rather take a positive effect and -1 lp if I'n to lose that 1 LP anyways due to my last copies of my def-upped blockers going straight to the grave due to loss of their def.
Sanguifer

Postby DWildstar » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:59 pm

Keep in mind you're responding to a post from October :shock: whatever strategy you have in Regus should work through Crest just fine, but after that it'll definitely be more difficult. Expect to lose winning streaks once you hit Folrart.

You can do well with a modified Refess starter in Folrart. With my modified Refess Starter, 3 Brutal Inquisitors and 3 inqusition raid leaders help a lot. Also learning to use an assassin soul skill works wonders.
DWildstar

Postby Sanguifer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:04 am

Ah, sorry. My forum post display is kinda messed up, it shows every post as posted today somehow o.O

Oh well. Didn't do much harm, I guess ^^
Sanguifer

Next

Return to Vordore's War Room