Beating Big Blue?

Strategies and Card File Construction

Re: Beating Big Blue?

Postby darklogos » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:30 am

seems the current top three rp have a big blue deck.
darklogos

Postby Porky » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:28 am

Vickz isn't big blue, but anyways.

Okay, reviving this thread, due to the recent influx of Big Blue players I would like to put some decent step by step strategies out there.
1. You almost have to be lawtia or splash lawtia.
2. You must be very mindful of their SP and calculate the SP they may gain next turn/ meanings of failure.
3. Don't always attack, often the Big Blue players use owl sage as soul skills, and thus killing their first-2nd creature may very well aid them in bringing about your doom.

The common strategies of Big Blue is Catherina open, now some would put the spare SP in another sphere to avoid the drain or for future use, others would keep it spare.

The toss up is now whether you want to shade turn 1, or turn 2. The downside to missing a shade is costly and thus there is some predicting involved. At some point in the early game, they'll have enough for a renally or cyclone, so unless you run madpriest be prepared to be able to take down renally, be it through assassin souls or some fashion of beat down.

Mmm, what else have I missed, o yes, if Legyre does land on the board and if you don't think you can stop it from being cast, pack 2-3 soulbinds or undines, Legyre is quite slow and if you can kill it before it bounces everything you're in good shape.

For the Gowen alternative there is using Broken Soldier SS or Phillimiar's as first soulskill and using spore to self detonate, it is only possible to do this as gowen as you can self destruct a spore quite early and pre-empt their big sp build up. The lawtia flesh recycle could also work but its more noticeble.

The downside of that soul is it often puts you at a huge disadvantage against other decks unless your opponent is also holding sp.

Another strat if you're sure your opponent is playing big blue, is to succubus turn 1, followed by 3 consecutive shades and drain turn 4 if they've gained more sp than you.

I play mostly Lawtia so that's what I may use to counter big blue, other strats from other spheres would be welcome too! Falkow does have wrath of constellations.
"Talking to you is like having a period." -Toradora.
Porky

Postby Nehless » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:51 pm

I think the first post needs to be updated with counter strategies against Big Blue.
The most frighten part about big blue is Renally herself.

A few things to watch out for when fighting big blue from me:

1. SP
2. Renally
3. Legyre's return

When Legyre comes out a few things to be wary of if these things haven't happened yet.

1. Renally coming out
2. Sylph
3. Salamander to kill your 10 hp units for ASSA

My suggestion is to put some Broken Soldier / XXXX in your file and something that cases self destruction aka Salamander / Spore. The bigger problem comes with dealing with Renally. Mind you this is just taking care of the big boys, there are always other units in the back that can support these!

Also backlashing salamander/shade/sylph/undine is a good idea vs Legyre as well when you got your main units out.
Nehless : complete form noze is so lame though
Nehless : sigh
Lecaf : fits you perfectly! :D
《Lecaf has exited the room》
Nehless : thats what she gets for calling me lame
Nehless

Postby Porky » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:56 pm

I don't think Renally is that much of an issue from experience=/
"Talking to you is like having a period." -Toradora.
Porky

Postby darklogos » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:54 pm

Rennally is a secondary attacker with a sp power you can afford. With enough dryad buffing she can 1 shot most units. Without penetrate your not going to hurt a prolonged Renally without a massive damage dump, corruption, or grimore to remove a unit from the field.
darklogos

Postby jasta85 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:25 pm

Porky wrote:I don't think Renally is that much of an issue from experience=/

renally by herself is not a big problem, no unit by itself is ever that big of a problem to deal with, however the power of big blue is you have renally tanking while the emperor wipes the board. renally can take a LOT of damage and as mentioned before the dryad buff makes both her defense AND offense much more powerful, the fact that legyre can let you recycle dryads and slyphs can make her really strong.

1 drayad makes her do 60 penetrating damage for 1 sp, 2 dryads lets her do 80, although that's hardly ever neccessary. if you really want overkill then use killing machine soul card on her to give her like 50 defense and 100 penetrating damage. but at that is both unneccessary and a gowen red cloak can mess it up.

most people throw everything into trying to take out legyre and even if you do kill him renally is usually enough to help finish off whatever you have left. she's also quite easy to bring back if she gets hit by assassin as she's only level 4.
jasta85

Postby Nehless » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:21 pm

Merciless Death is the OP card here against Big Blue lol
Nehless : complete form noze is so lame though
Nehless : sigh
Lecaf : fits you perfectly! :D
《Lecaf has exited the room》
Nehless : thats what she gets for calling me lame
Nehless

Postby darklogos » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:48 pm

CSquared said something about 4 easy ways to beat big blue in chat which doesn't involve sp drain. I told him to post in the thread but I see he hasn't.
darklogos

Postby Gota » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:57 pm

hes gonna say soul bind + invi druid as one of them!
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby darklogos » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:19 am

he was saying something about targeting undines/slyphs/dryad etc and some other stuff.
darklogos

PreviousNext

Return to Annarose's Sanctum