[Primer] A Breakdown of File - Urgrant File Type

Strategies and Card File Construction

Re: [Primer] A Breakdown of File - Urgrant File Type

Postby GonFreeces31 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:19 pm

Awesome! Okay! I have a few comments.

1) 2 owl sages. I feel like using a second owl sage is worth it for the cath-owl lashes so you can play a second owl turn 3. Gives great advantage. Also can help move your SS later in the game.

2) Faytis necessary? I think there are 2 view points here. 1 - it is nice to play Faytis turn 3 so that your urgrant avoids a SS attack and you get slight SP advantage. 2) Faytis locks up 4SP, which can be really problematic early on since Urgrant uses up a lot of SP to get his auto skill going.

3) Tidal/Cyclone shades. I feel like it is often worth it if it allows you to solo the field with Urgrant. More importantly, it prevents the opponent from accessing their souls.

4) control form vs aggro form. I feel like the MD support first SS type is more reflective of a control type, whereas 40+1 is more an aggro type. Personally, I think playing Urgrant as a control form is far scarier than an aggro form. Control has the philosophy: I will play for SP and field control, solo your field, prevent you from access to your soul skills, and spam SP drain to win.

5) Other win variants: Urgrant-Belus-Returns is the main stream version. However I always thought it would be cool to use other Lawt/Falkow combinations. Such as like Zalzagul and thunderheads, or Lyria and timestops. I feel like there are more "fun files" that use Urgrant to bring the spheres together at least, probably more to explore here.

Thoughts people?
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Elliah » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:01 pm

smallfish wrote:The opening is actually very similar, either Cath. --> MoF or Cath. (if shaded or stronghold) --> owl sage/skip
You will know once you have played against an urgrant file.

Well, all my suggestions were aimed for a topic that could provide every information possible on a file, a true Breakdown. Yes, Ugrant is quite easy and fast to learn as you fight them. But following your reasoning (you will know when you play them :p), there's no point in making any topics, experience will teach you this.
It might look noobish, but maybe not for newer players. Maybe this will help them identify faster opponent file, or when they will aim for a file, they'll be able to read a "breakdown of a file" and know how to play it faster, if it's hard to get the file, and so on... And for Ugrant, it's nearly always the same, but not for other files; And the point is just to have Breakdown topics cover all aspects, even if you only take one line to explain the opening, it's worth it I believe.
But again, this is assuming you will motivate other veterans to create such topics. That would be nice to help new players learn the game. I could maybe do one for pixies, but I'm not exactly the best pixies users, and people make fun of my ideas with pixies >.< .

Ah and, you're top rp and seem to manage very well with your Ugrant file during the 4Kings qualifiers from what I've seen,and yet you feel yours is no good ? :p
I decided to stop Alteil because it is no longer fun thanks to set 10 and what some people became; I gave my account so if you meet me it's not me.
Elliah

Postby GonFreeces31 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:05 pm

smallfish wrote:History of the file:
The file is believed to be founded by a player, Canis, after Set 7 released for a month. At that time, Canis is a new player, but he uses the complete Urgrant file though.

BTW I sorta forget... But I think Canis is actually one of the GM' cousins or brothers or something... And the file was sort of conceptualized before Urgrant was officially released, and then he was urged to spam it to see how it would go.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby smallfish » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:30 am

Yes, i also have that memory...

But, it is true that he is the first player to play urgrant file type, no matters he is a GM or not...XD (So, GM makes a meta for us?!...)

= O = I totally remember this file since my WK at that time can handle almost all files quite well and i am beaten badly by a Lv 1x player with this file...XD

1) 2 owl sages. I feel like using a second owl sage is worth it for the cath-owl lashes so you can play a second owl turn 3. Gives great advantage. Also can help move your SS later in the game.

2) Faytis necessary? I think there are 2 view points here. 1 - it is nice to play Faytis turn 3 so that your urgrant avoids a SS attack and you get slight SP advantage. 2) Faytis locks up 4SP, which can be really problematic early on since Urgrant uses up a lot of SP to get his auto skill going.

3) Tidal/Cyclone shades. I feel like it is often worth it if it allows you to solo the field with Urgrant. More importantly, it prevents the opponent from accessing their souls.

4) control form vs aggro form. I feel like the MD support first SS type is more reflective of a control type, whereas 40+1 is more an aggro type. Personally, I think playing Urgrant as a control form is far scarier than an aggro form. Control has the philosophy: I will play for SP and field control, solo your field, prevent you from access to your soul skills, and spam SP drain to win.

5) Other win variants: Urgrant-Belus-Returns is the main stream version. However I always thought it would be cool to use other Lawt/Falkow combinations. Such as like Zalzagul and thunderheads, or Lyria and timestops. I feel like there are more "fun files" that use Urgrant to bring the spheres together at least, probably more to explore here.

1. 2 owl sages is a good choice and i hates to face that. However, it preforms badly against gowen, and with the popularity of multi-sphere E&A SS...let unit on the field maybe better sometimes.

2. Faytis depends on match-up. When you are facing mid-big file, you find yourself no point to use faytis, return shade, salamander for them is just worst...
But it is good for tempo such as against serpent, EN or any file that use Lv 2 as an important supporting unit. Moreover, i view faytis as an SS enabler too, especially you only have 1 owl sage and don't want to play it to trigger the SS... Faytis is also a way to save SP against a Fierte SS.

3. Tidalwave shade is not good most of the times since they usually get 2 at least... the solo for urgrant is actually very difficult. And importantly, the self-grim bane is sometimes very disappointed... and i hate to tidalwave most of the times since it likes a gamble like, return vs fruit...
Cyclone maybe worth sometimes, but you will find yourself lack of SP later, especially your lawita hasn't reached 9 and urgrant still alive.

4. Yes, control and aggro form. The control form is more reliable and more difficult to disturb. The lawita +3 SS make you able to use urgrant action skill if you would like to add 1 lawita manually and 2 sp left in base. It is also a surprised factor for opponent if the urgrant hits play and SS opens at the same turn. Limit your opponent SP is more powerful that accelerate your own progress. Though, in long term, it wastes 2 SP. Another problem for aggro is that, without lawita 3 (which means you are best letting urgrant auto-skill trigger twice), half of your file cannot be used. And mostly, i think lawita 5 is the base sphere for urgrant file to work. And this loophole makes the aggro-form a lot easier to counter if the opponent can take on one of the urgrant's weakness to handle him quite well.

5. Lyria and time stops is a version i want to test, but i don't have 3 time stops...(>.<). But the problem is that, if enemy is playing big, it is just become a little bit foolish... (i am saying starmantle file..i think it is a auto-lose). and 30HP of Lyria means a bringer eats it all day. and gowen have fire arrow too. I am going to test a version with Dio. in it, but i am earning PT for trading Dio....... and that why i say my file is not completed yet.... since i think it can evolve ever more.
smallfish

Postby skillll7 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:53 am

I tried a version with Nightmare Given Form and it was amusing when you lock ALL of your opponent's SP. o_o
His open is guaranteed and is actually quite neat :D
Cute dog too cute...
skillll7

Postby smallfish » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:20 am

I see. It is a good lock. But, i remember anglomis play a similar file with MD - Exot. and is totally affected by 40dmg SS series...

Well, can be 1 of the secret tech. XD
smallfish

Postby idol » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:42 am

Good to have a breakdown of file
THX fish
Ah... Everything's about MONEY, now that makes much more sense...
idol

Postby smallfish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:40 am

Section of opening sequence, match-up analysis updated.
smallfish

Postby angolmois » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:07 am

Is 3rd Emperor + Hellspawn + Shear Winds + Time Stop viable in an Urgrant file? With it's high SP demand...

skillll7 wrote:I tried a version with Nightmare Given Form and it was amusing when you lock ALL of your opponent's SP. o_o
His open is guaranteed and is actually quite neat :D

smallfish wrote:I see. It is a good lock. But, i remember anglomis play a similar file with MD - Exot. and is totally affected by 40dmg SS series...

Well, can be 1 of the secret tech. XD

Never underestimate the power of Nightmare. :twisted: I don't use Urgrant in it though.

Last edited by angolmois on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
angolmois

Postby winfrith279 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:14 am

Why not just use word of dalos? It engages one turn and only non-characters but doesn't engage most other friendly units and can bring back cards from cemetery.
And I don't get why the title has [Primer].
The original pic was too big. °ᴥ°
winfrith279

PreviousNext

Return to Annarose's Sanctum