Newbie trying to get Gowen to work

Strategies and Card File Construction

Newbie trying to get Gowen to work

Postby GuitarZero » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:49 pm

Hey I'm lv11 and I started with the Gowen starter. I'm trying to make my deck work in Folrant, but I haven't won any games yet. I was hoping someone could help me construst a deck. This is my card pool:

Red:

1 Panther Soul
3 Magic Sword Dual Wielder
3 Archer Scout
3 Revolver Knight
2 Bellydancer / Kurina
1 Fire Tornado
3 Brave Solider
1 Efreet
1 Fire Storm Wyvern
2 Bear Killing Axeman
3 Combat Monk
2 Lightning Archer
1 Exploding Spores
2 Dryad
3 Salamander
2 Berserker
1 Magic Weapon
1 Fire Arrow
1 Giant Ork
1 Gladiator

Blue:

2 Sorceror Guard
2 Haste Solider
2 Eagle Solider

Purple:

2 Moonlight Warrior
1 Magic Doll
2 Crest Regenerator Knight

Yellow:

1 Saber Saint / Lapierre
3 Blessed Acolyte
2 Raise Shield
2 Ancient Spear Knight
2 Ruby Carbuncle
1 Amethyst Carbuncle
GuitarZero

Re: Newbie trying to get Gowen to work

Postby Mayhembob » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:20 pm

I think the best deck you can make is pretty much a modified Gowen starter.
It will be hard to win against players who pay for cards, so your options are to buy cards or hope you run into other people who are using modified starters. This is one thing that freaks me out about graduating to Folrart, as I will be doing soon... I don't know if I can compete with my starter. Well, maybe we'll fight each other ;th2

You have some nice combos like brave soldier + panther soul.
Try using Amethyst Carbuncle in your soul skills. That effect can really surprise people and give you the edge.
Logress wrote a good article on Rapidly Flying Apprentice, which has the same effect as Amethyst Carbuncle's soul skill, so you could read that for some tips.

Good Luck!
Mayhembob

Postby Arakis » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:47 pm

Mayhembob is right, your best bet is pretty much a modified starter. Let's take a look at what you've got.

Your most valuable play cards are your panther soul, the dual wielders, the Kurinas, the brave soldiers, the combat monks, the salamanders, the fire arrow, and possibly the spore. I would say be sure to include all of those in your deck. I personally never used dryads or revolver knights much, but you may do well with them. Fire tornado is of course a big gamble, as sometimes it completely gimps out on you, but sometimes it saves the game. Some cards that would really help you, and that you should watch out for, are more panther souls, a third Kurina, and blitz soldiers. Splashing in a little blue can often be useful as well, particularly sylphs and/or undines. Experiment with putting Kurina both on the front line and behind. She can be useful both as a support unit and as a 0SP revive sacrifice. Some people like to lead with two combat monks, then bump up their Gowen sphere to 5 to rank them up. This can let them keep the opposition under control while they put out more units behind the monks. It's just risky because then you only get one revive. The wyvern might also come in handy, for its open skill. Just try not to expose it too much since you only have one copy. Berserkers might also come in handy against big opponents, as you don't necessarily need to revive them.

As for your soul cards, your most valuable is definitely the Lapierre. Be sure to include her in your lineup. Other suggestions are a magic doll, an efreet, a moonlight warrior, and lastly either another moonlight warrior, a haste soldier for column damage, or a giant ork to give you some extra LP in the late game. As Mayhembob suggested, you could give the amethyst carbuncle a shot. It would help against certain decks.

Have you been playing Mirage Master? It's not a bad way to earn some extra gran once a day. I notice you have very few set 2 cards, and you could definitely stand to have some more.
Arakis

Postby Gota » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:59 pm

For the double monk opening, I've seen in crest that people use ruby carbuncle as their first soul skill, to get the monks back, and switch to a single monk with the 1 reviving. Though it will backfire if your opponent kills 1 monk, and after you revive it, he kills both those last two at the same time, and nothing else, then your plan will be ruined.

^Just something you could try out, and look out for.
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby Forsakensoul » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:56 am

Taking what you have given us, You want to look at characters you have 3 of first. This prevents them from dieing and gowen has good ones. So, we start with some of them.

3x Magic Sword Dual Wielder
3x Brave Soldier
3x Combat monk
3x Revolver Knight
3x Salamander

Now we have 15 cards. This is a 1/2 deck and it is a viable start. Next we look at cards you have 2 of.

2x Belly Dancer/Kurina (this card is staple in most decks)
2x Bear Killing Axeman
2x Dryad

This brings your deck total up to 21. You have 9 more cards to go. Normally I would not use units I only have 1 of but sometimes you make sacrifices. Add in the 1 Firestorm Wyvern. Up to 22.

Here is where things get difficult with what you have left. We need to add in grimoires.

1x Panther Soul
1x Fire Tornado
1x Fire Arrow
1x Magic Weapon

Up to 26, with 4 more cards to go. You could splash refess for the Raise Shield (I think the cost is 2 which isn't too heavy) but that would still take you up to 28. This requires fillers. So since your options are limited we put in 3 Archer Scout to keep with the mono theme instead and that takes you to 29. Use the archer scouts in the back row for SP generation and attacks if you need. Finally, 1 last card and make it Efreet. He can be your big bad meanie in case you get into a trouble spot and he can tank a little.

Soul cards are going to be a little more difficult to work with.

so, your final deck should look like this.

3x Magic Sword Dual Wielder
3x Brave Soldier
3x Combat monk
3x Revolver Knight
3x Salamander
3x Archer Scout
2x Belly Dancer/Kurina (this card is staple in most decks)
2x Bear Killing Axeman
2x Dryad
1x Panther Soul
1x Fire Tornado
1x Fire Arrow
1x Magic Weapon
1x Efreet

Decide how you want your Soul skills. If you want damage or to buff your units.

Maybe go something like.

MoonLight Warrior
Moonlight Warrior
Exploding Spores
a 2LP card (hopefully that does something)
Giant Ork

w/o looking at the cards I think that gives you 11 LP which isn't that bad. It will be a decent start. Your opening moves should be somewhere along the lines of.

Turn 1: 3 into Gowen cast Kurina
Turn 2: Cast Monk
Turn 3: 2 into Gowen
Turn 4: Salamander something or save your SP for something bigger.

You will have 5 in gowen which is the min required for fire tornado which occasionally can save your butt. Best I can do. If possible buy maybe $5 or $10 in gran and buy some packs. You can also buy the EXP buffing item and hope you win so that you can gain levels faster to get free cards. If you can afford the $20 you can buy a box with 200 gran left over for whatever but you will guarantee a 5* and a 4* card. If you don't have a ton of cash then work with what you can but don't get discouraged.
Forsakensoul

Postby Candi » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:59 am

Psst. Foraken, it's 30 cards to a file INCLUDING soul cards.

25 cards, 5 soul cards.
You're proposed file is 5 cards large.
Candi

Postby ReyLokito » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:28 pm

well ill just focus on your best opening move:
the way the rest of your turns unfold lie in what you see as effective thereafter, and following the theory that you should summon units from low levels up, like a lvl 2 (kurina), then maybe archer scout, then a lvl 3, then a lvl 4 etc. So that way you're not spending it on a lvl 4 as soon as you have enough for one and then being caught between reviving and spending on other units and grimoires. You'll be strapped for sp!

Anyways,
Increase your gowen lvl to 3 and summon brave soldier (you could just increase gowen lvl to two, but adding one more will render a 1st-turn shades' open skill useless as your sp will be at 0, but this is up to you though).

Now for the panther soul follow-up:
If their 1st-turn unit is something your brave soldier can take down right away, then think twice before pulling out that panther soul right after. Also, if they don't summon 1st-turn, because they're bringing out a tank, (which is typically the case) then pulling off the panther soul after you set brave soldier can clear that tank when it comes out. If you're not playing it right away then save it for when you're down to your second or last brave soldier, simply because they will start fresh with full hp after the revive and last longer with the added benefit of now being 50 HP, 60 AT, and 4 AGI (which by now you should know are brave soldier's stats after panther soul). Also, having at least 2sp at your disposal allows you to use brave soldiers slash action skill, which is incredibly useful in the mid-game when they're are probably 3 units side-by-side-by-side just waiting to get cleared from the 60 DMG that each will take (assuming they all have 0 DF of course, nevertheless, even with 10 DF, units with 50 hp will still get cleared).

A downside that stands out the most is having your brave soldier returned right after you just gave it semi-god mode with panther soul...which really sucks, and is part of the reason why I tell you to think twice before you cast it.

Although just mindlessly starting your duels with brave soldier+panther soul will probably occur on your part, it tends to work a great deal of the time. Just keep in mind that in the mid-game you can save it for a row-clearing force that could give you the edge you need.

Hope this helps. ;th2

EDIT: having ruby carbuncle as your first soul card will NOT get panther soul back as Gota just clarified for me, I forgot that grimoires don't go to your cemetery.
Last edited by ReyLokito on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReyLokito

Postby Gota » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:33 pm

I think grimoirs go straight to out of play right?
so ruby carbuncle can't get it back =x
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby ReyLokito » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:47 pm

oh yea you're right.
forgot about that whole ERASED thing...
:shock:
ReyLokito

Postby Radders » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:31 pm

I don't have a huge amount of experience but I've been using Gowen for a while and I'd say keep Efreet out of your card file, even if you can play it as a single card it dies quickly and usually in the first turn. Not to mention after playing Efreet finding 3sp spare for him to use his Action Skill can be really troublesome. I can't say I've seen Archer Scouts played very well without something better to protect them so I'd give those a miss too but if you can make it work then it'll come in handy.

I'd follow the advice on either the Kurina-Monk or double Monk start, depending on what the other Iczer plays you have a few strategies to choose from even at that point. Definately keep Brave Soldier and the Panther Soul, also include the Magic Sword Duel Wielders and I'd say Revolver Knights too.

I think that's about all the advice I can offer, most of what you need to know has been said and good luck!
Radders

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum