new EX cards overview

Strategies and Card File Construction

new EX cards overview

Postby jasta85 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:03 am

ok, i'll just put out that i have NOT bought the new ex cards yet, and i say yet because i'll almost certainly be getting a few sometime in the future. but i thought it would be a nice to stick up a few highlights. if someone who buys them all and tests them out wants to add on to this or make another post then feel free.

Refuss:
Boy Inquisitor / Cudgel

https://login.alteil.com/cardDB/detail.php?id=288

ok, this guy is a pure counter unit, he counters big units and fast units, sounds good right. Doing at least 125 damage to a level 7 or higher sounds pretty nice, i can definitly see uses for him vrs gowen earth dragons and flame emperors. he also has 55 hp and is level 3 so he cant be killed too easily and he cannot be returned by legyre's ability. unfortunately he CAN be returned by normal return, and he can also be one shot by legyre and renally. blessing or shield may help a little but again, he can be returned. so nice vrs some things but unfortunately not the answer to big blue.

on the other hand his counter ability can be very nice vrs things like dalos, fenrir, a ranked up combat monk, or on a player who likes to use slyphs to boost their creature's agi. overall he's not a bad unit, his stats are average for a level 3 but how effective he will be depends on the deck you are facing.

SS: +50 AT +50 defense is awsome, but only for one turn. on the other hand this is a 2 LP card so i think there could definitly be some uses for it, your army basically becomes invincible for one turn and sometimes that's all you need in order to turn a game. just make sure it goes off at the right time

The Angel’s Trumpet
https://login.alteil.com/cardDB/detail.php?id=289

ok, misread this the first time i wrote up here but this is indeed a grimore and not a creature, yet it has 2LP and no soul power, wierd things happen. anyway, its opening ability, this can be quite nice actually, in fact in some cases it can be VERY nice. it's a level 1 card so is easy to bring out and giving a high level creature AT=0 and AGI=0 has numerous uses, such as making sure legyre doesn return your units until they've all had a chance to pound on him. on the other hand it is a grimore so it's ability goes off before creatures' opening abilities. this means if your opponent uses a slyph that turn to boost the dragon emp then he'll still end up AGI5. but on the bright side it's level 1 so ANY sphere can easily use it and there are lots of level 4+ cards out there which can be taken out easily if you get rid of their AT and AGI.

Lawatia:
Holy Mother of Blood / Velvet

https://login.alteil.com/cardDB/detail.php?id=290

ok, now this is a wacky card if ever i saw one. lawatia is best known for its small creature decks (aside from dalos). the dragon of mercurial night and dragon emperor are sometimes used but not on any large scale. shades, succubusses, fenrir, moonlight warriors, these are what lawatia is known for (that and all their nasty grimores). now we got a card here which gives all your already weak units -10 hp as its starting skill. now on the other hand it does give them +20 AT. so, is this tradeoff worth it?
it really depends. shades naturally get instakilled by this. fenrir, magic doll support and succubusses get knocked down to 10 HP BUT get +20 HP bonus. this can be helpful to them as they normally get killed by whatever hits them anyway, on the other hand they are now vulnerable to abilities that do 10 damage (salamander, the new falkow EX which i'll talk about later). this doesnt help your tanks much as they are supposed to take damage and not deliver it. for units like dalos who already do a rediculous amount of damage it may not really be neccessary. on the other hand crest mind soldier and broken iron soldier XXX will love this. having your mind soldier with a base AT of 40 and able to do 60 to an enemy unit is quite nice, the 10 hp shouldnt bothe him too much, especially if he's not on the front lines. broken iron soldier will definitly benefit as he does row damage so pumping his AT to 60 can be very useful.
to me this card is rather iffy, i think you could definitly find uses for it, one of the problems is that she's a level 4 which means that it's not just her ability you have to consider using, but also you have to decide whether she's worth the cost of fielding in the first place.

SS: unpredictable since you wont know who you'll be facing. against another lawatia deck with lots of 20HP units it can be devestating (especially if that lawatia deck has a mother of blood on their field, "suprise, -30 to all your people"). Refuss would probably like this SS a LOT as it both gives them a chance to kill off the smaller units of the enemy while boosting their own units, and they usually have HP to spare.

Virtuoso / Rutina
https://login.alteil.com/cardDB/detail.php?id=291

ok, now this is a wacky card. first of all her assassin type ability "Dischord" is quite interesting. basically you get to get one enemy unit to attack another one (or subtract their AT directly from another's life). in short you should be able to kill most units that you use this on, so consider it almost as good as the assassin ability just it costs 2 SP instead of 3.
her other ability darkness is very odd. reduce something to HP=1 (now according to the wording i dont think that's max hp or it would say so) but give it +30AT. this could be used to weaken enemy tanks or possibly boost one of your own units, the one it would probably be most useful against is fenrir as he should be going right after this goes off and his HP sucks anyway. many possible uses for this, but you have to be very careful on where you place her, if you're not careful your opponent may move one of his units so instead of weakening his giant lizard you just made that salamander in the back row a 60AT artillery piece. also take note that the +30 AT only lasts 1 turn if you plan to use it on your own units. using this on a big enemy unit and soul binding them that turn so they cant use the extra AT could be a good strategy.
as for her stats, they arnt anything impressive. she's level 2 so easy to bring out but AGI2 means she's going to be going near last, so if you want to use her action it's not going to be going off at the start of the turn.

Gowen:
Roar of Courage / Brave
https://login.alteil.com/cardDB/detail.php?id=292
hey, it's zagar's big brother. well this guy is pretty straight forward. He's level 6 so costs a bit to get him out but once he comes out he's gonna lay the smack down on some people. 80 HP and 20 DF make this guy one hard nut to crack, stick a dryad on him and your opponent is gonna have to burn some grimores if they wanna take him down. he's agi 1 but that's to his benefit as his ability gives him bonus AT for every engaged enemy unit (which should be almost all of them by that time, aside from maybe a sea hunter or some other slow unit).
Not much to say, he's big, he's tough, he's another front liner gowen tank who can take damage and deal it out equally well. a very solid unit.

The Dark Eye / Wabell
https://login.alteil.com/cardDB/detail.php?id=293
ok, now it's the blitz soldier's big brother. he's a level 4 card with level 6 or 7 stats but he knocks your sphere level down to 0, that will hurt gowen players a LOT as they love there sphere levels. there's a discussion going on about this guy in the card review post in the general discussion forum and i made a post there as well with my ideas so i'm not gonna talk about him here, you'll find all the info you want to know about him there.

SS: possibly useful, and also possibly crap. really depends on who you are up against, works very well vrs things like dalos and the earth dragon and other big fast creatures but it might end up being wasted on a speed deck where they got lots of small things.

Falkow

Flash Paladin / Ibert
https://login.alteil.com/cardDB/detail.php?id=295
ok, this guy is a mixed bag. He's level 5 so costs a bit to bring him out but he's got 60 AT and can do a slash attack (hello falkow brave soldier). on the other hand he's only AGI 3 and has 20 HP, wtf you say. then you see his trait: he cannot be hit be regular attacks (there was a bit of a discussion on this but this should be correct). now, he cant be hit by REGULAR attacks but he's toast against action skills. pinpoint attacks, the combat monk's triple attack, dalos kill everything action etc. the fact that he only has 20 HP means he can also be killed very easily by small damaging attacks like salamander and flesh recycle. basically this guy will get ripped apart by lawatia and gowen (and probably falkow once they get their scythe soldier out). even refuss can take him out very easily with a magic bolt, or by a coatl counter attack or a ancient spear warrior's column attack.
he looks nice with his immunity to normal attacks but his 20 HP really hurts him, if he even has 30HP he would be much better. the biggest problem is he's level 5, which is just too much of a point sink to risk having him blown away by a few cheap attacks. on the other hand if you have 3 of him then your opponent may run out of fire arrows, flesh recycles and magic bolts to finish him off but dont count on it.

Magic Dancer / Chiruru
https://login.alteil.com/cardDB/detail.php?id=294

i actually misread this card when i first looked at it and thought it was a gift from heaven, then someone pointed out my mistake and my dream of actually building a decent falkow deck was shattered. anyway, on to what she can do. first of all, she's level 1, so she's very easy to bring out but also very weak, back row is where she belongs. she does have 20 hp which means she cant be 1 shot by salamanders fortunately but just about anything else can kill her just fine. now her start skill gives all sorcerer units +20 AT, right now the list of those in the falkow army are the following (thanks to Candi for looking them up, i'm stealing this from another thread in which she is being discussed, feel free to check there for more info).
Witch
Expert Sorcerer
Sylph Sorceress
Azure Beastmaser
Song Sorceress
Owl Sage
Rapidly Flying Apprentice
Enchanter

as you can see, most of these are not exactly combat monsters. the only ones who actually ever do damage on a regular basis are the slyph sorceress and the azure beastmaster. now if you do run these cards then chiruru might actually be a nice boost. slyph sorceress doing 50AT at AGI5 is actualy quite nice. azure beastmaster will be pumping out 40AT and since i like to stick him next to an wizard soldier apprentice that means he'll end up with 50AT as well. so depending on what you play she may or may not be useful in that respect.
her other ability, Azure blades, is actually very nice. 10 damage to all enemy units reguardless of range can really hurt some decks (gowen rush and lawatia small creature decks most noticably). it only costs 1SP so it's pretty nice. if you play her along with the wind sorceress (who unfortunately does not get the AT bonus) you'll be doing around 30 damage to most enemy units for just 2SP a turn. this wont help you very much vrs large creature decks but it can be increadibly nasty against most others.
so while chiruru is not game breaking as i had hoped, she can be quite useful. again she's just level 1 so she's easy to bring out and it's not dissaster if she dies, in fact if your opponent wastes grimores killing her then you are still ahead as he had to spend 2 or 3 SP and one of his cards to kill off a level 1 unit.

SS: similar to the boy inquisitor's SS except it gives you 5 AGI instead of DEF. this can make a huge difference though as it means pretty much your whole army will be going first (this can even take out renally and legrye if you have managed to keep 3 or 4 units on the board). This SS can be increadibly useful if you and your opponent both have lots of creatures on the board as you esentially get to kill all of his. definitly worth taking for pretty much any army if you can manage to fit it in.
Last edited by jasta85 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasta85

Re: new EX cards overview

Postby Grain » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:15 am

The Angel's Trumpet is a grimoire. That's what the card list says.

A grimoire with 2 LP...
Grain

Postby jasta85 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:23 am

ok, that makes sense, i couldnt find it on the card list at first, and the 2LP convinced me that it must be a creature. well, that sorta threw out half my argument, i'll edit that part quickly
jasta85

Postby darklogos » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:52 am

I've been doing some testing. First off Gowen got screwed hardcore this time around. I guess its to balance out uber strong Roughrest. Brave is weaker then you think. Because he goes last he is going to take a beating from Voldore decks and ss buff decks. Not only that his def is easy to loose now days so don't count on it. The biggest problem is the dang blind dragon. Wow talk about a waste. Without an aoe he is pretty weak. I might as well save my sp and summon earth dragon or even fire dragon.

Lawtia got hosed which is ok. Lawtia has enough good stuff right now. The muscian chick can be strong if you have her close behind a lycan or skell warrior.

Reffess came out ahead. Now they can fight big decks like the rest of the spheres.

Falkow... if it wasn't for the dancer they would have been screwed as well. Azure beast master soul skill will keep her alive a bit. You have to relize your not going to make an insane fighting force off of sorcs.
darklogos

Postby Zanador » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:59 am

Im not to familiar with healing/reviving, so its most likely a stupid question: Virtuoso / Rutina close skill: the unit in front of her becomes 1HP.. can this be used to revive a fallen card, or the skill will just ignore it and go for a living one instead or its not even theoreticaly possible for a skill like this to be used on a closed card? (reading that skill my first idea was that if somehow a unit would die just at the same time as she does, it could bring it back to attack once more or take a damage meant to hit someone else)
To make the answer easier, here is a scenario: Ancient spear knight does a column damage, hitting Rutina and Regenerator knight, killing them both. As i saw, close skills go off _before_ the cards are turned face down, so i though Rutina could set the Regenerator to 1 HP before its closed too... (lawtia would get a lot of fun combo if this worked... like anchient zombi lord.. eh, +2 sp?)
Something must be wrong with me. I'm giving advices to someone i should kill.
Zanador

Postby jasta85 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:14 pm

Zanador wrote:Im not to familiar with healing/reviving, so its most likely a stupid question: Virtuoso / Rutina close skill: the unit in front of her becomes 1HP.. can this be used to revive a fallen card, or the skill will just ignore it and go for a living one instead or its not even theoreticaly possible for a skill like this to be used on a closed card? (reading that skill my first idea was that if somehow a unit would die just at the same time as she does, it could bring it back to attack once more or take a damage meant to hit someone else)
To make the answer easier, here is a scenario: Ancient spear knight does a column damage, hitting Rutina and Regenerator knight, killing them both. As i saw, close skills go off _before_ the cards are turned face down, so i though Rutina could set the Regenerator to 1 HP before its closed too... (lawtia would get a lot of fun combo if this worked... like anchient zombi lord.. eh, +2 sp?)

i seriously doubt it, close cards dont count for really anthing in game play (the exception is if you are bringing out a character, if there is a closed character of the same type out he will get backlashed) and you cant heal them with cure spells or life transfer etc or affect their hp in any way. would be interesting if that did work though.
jasta85

Postby Zanador » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:39 pm

Hm, thx. Still, could anyone test this scenario? :) (im not giving up on fun that easily)

BTW: WHAT? Invisible Druid is a sorcerer too? Once i get that 400G, im really going mad with dual colour files. :twisted:
Something must be wrong with me. I'm giving advices to someone i should kill.
Zanador

Postby jasta85 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:47 pm

unfortunately the invisible druid never uses his AT, he just does 50 straight damage to a unit, so he wouldnt get any better. the magic doll support is a sorcerer though, and so is the elder druid. i love the magic doll *support* and her doing 30AT would definitly be nice, but probably not worth taking chiruru just for that.
jasta85

Postby slashzero » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:36 pm

Gah, what happened to Ibert's 5 agi. I can reason with the 20 attack nerf, but the agi!
slashzero

Postby teasel » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:18 pm

for those that are wondering... there are only 5 sorcerer who are falkow and have 30 AT (tough i'm checking the japanese list so maybe there is a sorcerer who increase his AT trough skills so it would escape me in that case) there are 2 level 4,two level 2 and a level 3... and 2 of them are EX cards (and one of the level 2 it's also a dual color card) sylphy sorceress it's not on the list since the japanese one has 20 AT instead of 30 so change might happen
(oh one of them is a poker playing cat :O)
teasel

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum