How to properly counter Assassin Soul

Strategies and Card File Construction

How to properly counter Assassin Soul

Postby Nehless » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:02 am

I was a bit bored and I've been meaning to write this for a while.

Lets take a short look into what Assassin's Soul does:
Stalking Death - Send one friendly unit to the Cemetery. After that, send one disengaged enemy unit of your choice to the Cemetery.

A few short notes on what's being said here. Assassin's soul will only go off IF you have a friendly unit on your side. After that, if the enemy is ENGAGED, no way is that unit going to assassinated by this soul.

So what are the few tricks here to properly get rid avoid assassin?

1. You make sure nothing is on your opponent's field (so that the skill doesn't activate at all since the card says it needs to kill a friendly unit first)
2. You engage all your units somehow (so the 2nd part of the skill does not activate)

These are ideal situations you would like to find yourself in. But most likely, the person using the assassin knows well how to secretly use assassin in many ways more than one. Because it's difficult second guessing where the assassin in the deck is going to be and what you can do if something does hit you hard. A key card grimore that avoids assassin would be the Shear Winds grimore of the Falkow sphere. Pretty useful for a lv2 card as it saves your butt from being destroyed or a Cudgel/Chiruru soul being activated that turn. It also randomizes the Invisible Druid soul that may be lurking for you.

A short list of what you can do for each sphere:

Falkow - Lv2 Shear Winds
Gowen - Lv1 Petrification
Lawtia - Lv2 Soul Bind
Refess - Nothing [can kill unit with Magic Bolt to avoid assassin and revive next turn to play but... pretty difficult to accomplish]

Ideally, if you know what's going to happen next and you got one of these cards packed in your deck. It's going to be a sure thing for you to survive the onslaught and protect your precious unit. But, most decks are hardly made to counter specifically assassin because they have other things to worry about instead. So rather than an ideal situation, it's best to handle things as they come

Because realistically, you're not always going to avoid assassin in all your games.

So what I want to tell everyone here is how to manage getting assassin rather than complaining about how OP the soul is.

The mindset of the player wanting to use the assassin soul is pretty obvious. They send out a useless unit that turn and they know one of their own units will die. Afterwards, that unit will die and the useless unit will be used as material to kill one of your more precious units. One of the more used counters would be a clean up of that field using return or cyclone to get rid of that useless unit. This situations becomes an eye for eye deal and you'll see them taking their Dalos for your important unit.

Falkow
- Return
- Cyclone

Gowen
- Fire Tornado
- Fire Arrow

Lawtia
- Flesh Recycle
- Pure Terror
- Life Conversation

Refess
- Magic Bolt

Anyway... kinda tired edit for grammar and more fixes later. I needed to get this out though!
Nehless : complete form noze is so lame though
Nehless : sigh
Lecaf : fits you perfectly! :D
《Lecaf has exited the room》
Nehless : thats what she gets for calling me lame
Nehless

Re: How to properly counter Assassin Soul

Postby Grain » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:10 am

You forgot one essential tool.

The ability to mind read or foresee the future.
Last edited by Grain on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grain

Postby Nehless » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:05 am

Well assassins tend to have patterns, something I should of written in the document.

Most lv1 units tend to have an open skill that will support the unit on the field, afterwards they're just bait. You'll notice a trend as they continually lay out a unit -> open skill -> sacrifical lv1 -> activate SS. From there, you have to assume what's going to happen. Most of the time assassins are located via 2nd -> 4th souls. Also looking at their LP is a big indication of how many assassins they may have.

Writing down where the assassin soul is a great idea to keep in memory what to watch out for.
Nehless

Postby Peralisc2 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:18 am

you forgot that falkow also has
tempest and thunderballs

also petrification is level 2 O_o

and damn refess is lacking, but the fact that its lacking engage spell should already been made clear by now :P
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Csquared » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:22 pm

Refess - Nothing [can kill unit with Magic Bolt to avoid assassin and revive next turn to play but... pretty difficult to accomplish]

I disagree that it's difficult to use the Magic Bolt since there's another way to deal with the Assassin's soul skill... turn it to your advantage. After all, your opponent is most likely going to sacrifice that shade and take out one of your bigger units. The true advantage to the soul skill is the SP trade that is in your opponent's favor. So why not Magic Bolt that darn shade, and theoretically force your opponent to sacrifice their level 5 Dalos for your level 3 Folrart Spiked Shield Knight? It's a relatively fair trade of SP overall, but the field advantage will most likely be in Refess's favor by the end of the exchange.

CSquared
Take the Challenge of the Fortnight!
Win new cards as well as point cards!
Csquared

Postby teasel » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:33 pm

while what csquared say it's true, people that play dalos don't play assasin... assasin should be always a rush card deck because when at worst you are sacrificing a level 2 unit you still aren't losing that much (so basicaly a gowen SS)
teasel

Postby Romdeau » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:19 pm

For insurance, most people will have 2 units they're willing to sacrifice in case things turn bad. Ergo, magic bolt will not even out the exchange.
Romdeau

Postby Gota » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:25 pm

Time for tempest, swan cavalier, etcs !

Even then, you won't get to see if they revived yet or not, till after you set your card, so its really all up in the mind reading and experience.

If they didn't revive though, then you just screwed your own field over =x
If they did, then smile if you see an assassin soul.
If they did revive but wasn't an assassin soul.... watch out for the next soul card =P
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby Nehless » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:41 pm

^ I've also wanted to include that too. Thank you Gota for posting it
Nehless

Postby Peralisc2 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:17 pm

teasel wrote:while what csquared say it's true, people that play dalos don't play assasin... assasin should be always a rush card deck because when at worst you are sacrificing a level 2 unit you still aren't losing that much (so basicaly a gowen SS)

Not true. There are players who use assa along with mid - big levels and there are people who dont.
Also i must add people who play dalos and assa SS dont also lose a lot, because they know when its time to summon their units and how to avoid their own assassins. :/
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum