Red Vs. Blue

Strategies and Card File Construction

Red Vs. Blue

Postby furryjenny » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:53 am

I play a modified Gowen, and Falkow seems to be the only color that slaughters me on a regular basis. When they're not ruining my early game with a witch opening, they're killing all my guys with some unholy Sea Hunter/AGI buff combination or Returning my Magic Swords. Help?

For reference, the only cards I have aside from the starter are:
1) one Lightning Archer
2) one Magic Sword Dual Wielder
3) a bunch of off-color cards with no or useless Soul Skills

I'm not even asking for help vs. Big Blue (though I've had the misfortune to run into one of those in Crest, too). Just the modified Falkow starter.

What's better: 1 extra LP or removal of the word "random" from a soul skill?
furryjenny

Re: Red Vs. Blue

Postby Arakis » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:02 am

I feel your pain, because once I was in the exact same position. I used to hate having to play against Falkow with a (barely) modified Gowen starter. This was especially true when it was a return-oriented deck that led with a Witch. Over time, though, I've come to realize that Falkow generally needs to have control of the field or else they don't have much going for them. It's just an aspect of the sphere.

It's not terribly easy to win against a solid Falkow starter without certain cards at your disposal. I recommend going for Gowen Rush in order to beat it, and probably the most important cards you have in that respect are Kurina, Combat Monk, and Magic Sword Dual-Wielder. Be on the lookout for a 3rd copy of Dual, some Blitz Soldiers, and any Panther Souls you can get. PS works especially well on Brave Soldier. I play Gowen Rush from the center row, leaving the front row open for sacrifice units. I like to lead with Blitz, but since that isn't an option, you should either go with Kurina or Monk. Put them both in the middle row, and have all your Salamanders ready in case there's a target you can pick off. When you play a Salamander, and if you happen to have any soul skills you want to trigger at a certain time, try placing him in the front row so he gets taken out, and gives your rush row a bit of shielding. Ranged units like the Lightning Archer should go in the back. I generally don't worry about spending SP to rank up. Kurina helps make up for that.

I know you don't have the cards to use that strategy exactly, but a variant would be to play your rush row up front and keep Salamander and all other ranged units behind it. Even if you're not interested in buying cards, I do recommend picking up some of the EX 2 Refess packs. I've found that Cudgel's soul skill can do wonders for my rush file, giving them a turn where they can pretty much pound the opponent's field into the ground. When the EX 1 cards finally become available again, try to get some copies of Rougeerst. Her soul skill only powers your guys up further.

Personally I vote for the removal of the word "random". There are some really nice 1LP soul cards out there that let you target your damage, and with a solid deck, you can pretty much choose when they go off for maximum effectiveness.

After playing all the Set 3 Gowen cards yesterday, I can say that from now on, Gowen and Falkow are going to have to play nicer with each other. For that matter, pretty much every sphere has some involvement with every other sphere now. It's going to make the game interesting in all new ways.

Hope this was helpful. It's a long climb to finally get a really effective Gowen rush deck, and it still won't stand up well to some things (like Big Blue), but it does quite well against a lot of other play styles.
Arakis

Postby SacredGuyver » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:03 pm

*sigh*

I was seriously hoping this was taking about the machinima series, then I seen where it was posted.

And here I was ready to bust out my RvB quotes. :|
SacredGuyver

Postby furryjenny » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:24 pm

Arakis wrote:I like to lead with Blitz, but since that isn't an option, you should either go with Kurina or Monk. Put them both in the middle row, and have all your Salamanders ready in case there's a target you can pick off. When you play a Salamander, and if you happen to have any soul skills you want to trigger at a certain time, try placing him in the front row so he gets taken out, and gives your rush row a bit of shielding. Ranged units like the Lightning Archer should go in the back. I generally don't worry about spending SP to rank up. Kurina helps make up for that.

So, Panther Soul > increasing sphere level? I can see that happening. Never actually seen a PS user in Crest though, and Return would hurt it a lot.

How much tempo does Blitz gain versus B-K Axeman? (lv -1, hp =, at -10, agi +1, worse abilities)

Salamanders as front row bait? Interesting. 3>Kurina>Sala>Sala is probably suicidal against 2>Witch>Undine+Returnlv2, right?

I do recommend picking up some of the EX 2 Refess packs. I've found that Cudgel's soul skill can do wonders for my rush file, giving them a turn where they can pretty much pound the opponent's field into the ground. When the EX 1 cards finally become available again, try to get some copies of Rougeerst. Her soul skill only powers your guys up further.

Personally I vote for the removal of the word "random". There are some really nice 1LP soul cards out there that let you target your damage, and with a solid deck, you can pretty much choose when they go off for maximum effectiveness.

No RL income = No gran = No cards :cry: Would be a lot more incentive if they had some RL value though, but that's off-topic.

Does red angel do all three effects, or you have to pick one?

All right. I'll swap in Magic Doll for Moonlight Warrior and see how she does for a few rounds.

--

Without Blitz Soldier, in general, should I prefer higher level or lower level cards when modifying my deck? I hardly ever use some of my lv2's (Brave Soldier and Archer Scout) but if I replace them with lv3's, I may get SP screwed at some random time and be unable to play them.
furryjenny

Postby lupos » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:58 pm

IT'S A LEGITIMATE STRATEGY!!!!!
lupos
Site Admin

Postby furryjenny » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:27 pm

Why are you screaming at me, admin person?
furryjenny

Postby DWildstar » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:39 pm

furryjenny wrote:Why are you screaming at me, admin person?

Lupos was quoting this Red vs Blue scene :lol:
DWildstar

Postby Arakis » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:13 pm

furryjenny wrote:
So, Panther Soul > increasing sphere level? I can see that happening. Never actually seen a PS user in Crest though, and Return would hurt it a lot.

It can be better, yes. I didn't used to think that way, but it's basically two different schools of thought as to how to approach Gowen. And yes, Return still hurts a lot sometimes. Set 3 seems to have whole new ways of boosting card level, thankfully.

How much tempo does Blitz gain versus B-K Axeman? (lv -1, hp =, at -10, agi +1, worse abilities)

Personally, I never liked Axeman. Not from day one. He might tank well, but he's way too slow. I would recommend Blitz any day. The only real disadvantage Blitz has is that is he gets returned, you lose another sphere level replaying him. Therefore he's a favorite target for returning.

Salamanders as front row bait? Interesting. 3>Kurina>Sala>Sala is probably suicidal against 2>Witch>Undine+Returnlv2, right?

Dealing with the Witch lead can be a real pain. The best counter-strategy I've ever really found for it is to pack your own Undine or two. Often, if you can foil the Witch strategy in the first few turns, the Falkow player will give up on it and go for a more conventional approach.

Does red angel do all three effects, or you have to pick one?

All three. It's the biggest reason so many people either love her or hate her.

Without Blitz Soldier, in general, should I prefer higher level or lower level cards when modifying my deck? I hardly ever use some of my lv2's (Brave Soldier and Archer Scout) but if I replace them with lv3's, I may get SP screwed at some random time and be unable to play them.

If you're going for a rush file, lower levels tend to work best. You're still vulnerable to returning (especially Cyclones), but it's impossible to be strong against everything with just one deck. There are other options for Gowen, like mid- and big-, but with your selection of cards, rush is probably the easiest to fulfill. I don't think Brave Soldier's very useful unless you have Panther Souls, or you find a good way to get your Gowen level up to 9. As for Archer Scout, she works well in some cases, but for rush, you can leave her on the bench unless you need warm bodies to fill out the file.
Arakis

Postby SacredGuyver » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:29 pm

lupos wrote:IT'S A LEGITIMATE STRATEGY!!!!!

YES!!!

"Stop fighting! Stop fighting! Everyone, *stop fighting*! Everyone, everyone, look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I have seen the top of the mountain, and you will all worship me, as though I were a *god*!"

or

"My name is Michael J. Caboose, and I... hate... *babies*! "

......Phase 1 of "Hijack Red vs Blue Thread" in progress......
SacredGuyver

Postby Phades » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:01 pm

lupos wrote:IT'S A LEGITIMATE STRATEGY!!!!!

You cant pick up chicks in a tank...
Phades

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum